Bluetooth Not Detected by iMac in System Informations

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The videos play fine here. I think the other users ISP was not showing them for some reason.

Anyway that is crazy for sure. When you get into the new OS is BT still missing in system info? How about system Preferences??

Still searching for a solution.

OP
B
Reaction score
The videos play fine here. I think the other users ISP was not showing them for some reason.

Anyway that is crazy for sure. When you get into the new OS is BT still missing in system info? How about system Preferences??

Still searching for a solution.

Of course. It is still missing.

It's crazy that I can use Bluetooth only during the installation process :/.

EDIT: What do you recommend for what concern hard drive formats? I formatted my internal SSD as APFS and my old Mechanical Hard Drive in macOS Journaled.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I was wondering something. Since you did read somewhere some SSD's can cause interfierence with BT, have you tried removing the SSD and booting into the OS without the SSD there and see what happens? Just curious and trying to help.

On formatting I have one of my iMacs set up that way, Boot drive is APFS and 2nd drive Mac OS Journaled. Works great.

OP
B
Reaction score
I was wondering something. Since you did read somewhere some SSD's can cause interfierence with BT, have you tried removing the SSD and booting into the OS without the SSD there and see what happens? Just curious and trying to help.

On formatting I have one of my iMacs set up that way, Boot drive is APFS and 2nd drive Mac OS Journaled. Works great.

I haven't tried what you're questioning, because that wouldn't be a valid solution for me. I mean: the whole aim of the entire operation is having the OS loaded on the SSD Drive, which, in my opinion, is more important than Bluetooth capabilities.
Even if the problem is really caused by the aformentioned interfereance I'm not going to remove the SSD just to have Bluetooth back. I hope this is making sense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
How about removing the SSD, test if the BT works without it in and if it does, that would point to the SSD as a source of some sort of problem. If it doesn't work even with the SSD removed, then the SSD would be eliminated as a potential source. At this point you have no idea what is the cause.

If it is the SSD, you can still have an SSD in the Mac, just get a different brand/model.

OP
B
Reaction score
How about removing the SSD, test if the BT works without it in and if it does, that would point to the SSD as a source of some sort of problem. If it doesn't work even with the SSD removed, then the SSD would be eliminated as a potential source. At this point you have no idea what is the cause.

If it is the SSD, you can still have an SSD in the Mac, just get a different brand/model.

These are some images from System Information:

IMAGE-2019-01-19-16-51-50.jpg

IMAGE-2019-01-19-16-51-48.jpg

IMAGE-2019-01-19-16-51-52.jpg

This is an SSD Speed Test. I was wondering if it was too slow or not:

IMAGE-2019-01-19-16-51-54.jpg

Ok.
I'm going to try removing the SSD in few hours, just to see if it is it's fault.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
OP
B
Reaction score
Working now. Thanks very much.

Ian

Here I am, with a little update.

As requested, I decided to re-open the machine in order to remove the SSD Drive. So I did, but, unfortunately, when I turned on the iMac again I got a very bad black screen. I don't know why was that (maybe because the OS was installed on the SSD just removed?), but then I put the SSD back again.
Turned on the Mac one more time and suddenly the Bluetooth icon came back to life, as well all the informations under System Profiler.

At the moment I'm re-installing OS X again after formatting the SSD in APFS, and I really HOPE that Bluetooth is going to work back again.

Here some images of what I did:

IMAGE-2019-01-19-19-05-08.jpg

IMAGE-2019-01-19-19-05-01.jpg

IMAGE-2019-01-19-19-05-11.jpg

As just described I did some cleaning inside using an hairdryer in order to remove some dust.
I turned the Mac on and finally Bluetooth was back again like this:

IMAGE-2019-01-19-19-04-54.jpg

IMAGE-2019-01-19-19-04-50.jpg

At the moment I'm installing OS X back again. I'll let you know if everything stays the same like in the previous two images.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I do admire people like you who can take their Mac apart and replace this and rebuild that.

Anyway, fingers crossed it works for you.

Ian

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fingers crossed here also.

I found a lot of threads with your issue but every one was an MBP with the BT Module right next to the DVD drive bay. Yours is on the other side of the iMac so I doubt that is the issue. Keep us posted!!!

OP
B
Reaction score
Fingers crossed here also.

I found a lot of threads with your issue but every one was an MBP with the BT Module right next to the DVD drive bay. Yours is on the other side of the iMac so I doubt that is the issue. Keep us posted!!!

Thanks for your support!
I'm glad to say that everything is working fine as of right now :)!

One good advice that I could share with the community could be to always have an hairdryer with you when opening an almost 10 years old iMac.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great news. If you have any other problems be sure to post!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.