No Wifi Macbook pro mid 2010 13 inch

Reaction score
Greetings

I'm new to Apple however not computers I got this Mac to expand my knowledge the price was right $0. I installed an SSD and High Sierra once installed and working I erased the old Hard Drive. I installed the SSD in an adapter where the optical drive was, and it is running great however I have no WiFi here is what I've tried so far.

Reset PRAM and SMC
Reinstalled High Sierra (only Mac OS I have access to)
Reseated Wifi Cable removed to install drive adapter

WiFi options are completely missing however bluetooth is working the Airport card for this computer seems to be a Broadcom 4322 from the specs I found. I have already stumped some friends with Mac support and tried off and on searching the internet for a couple of weeks now I ask here.

Thanks

Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 8.00.23 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 8.00.51 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 8.00.51 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 8.01.21 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 8.01.58 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 8.02.20 AM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Do you know if the display was changed out at one time for that computer? The WiFi card is showing up in specs so we know that it's installed. The reason I asked about the display is that the antenna wires are located behind the display in that machine and sometimes get disconnected when the display unit is changed out or removed for any reason. If the antenna wires are not connected, WiFi will be dead.

Take a look at the breakouts for your machine at this US Web Site: iFixit: The Free Repair Manual

Let us know.

OP
M
Reaction score
The only thing replaced was the glass I forgot to mention that wifi was working, I had El Capitan on it then I got it upgraded it to High Sierra still worked. it's not until I replaced the drive and did the fresh install that I noticed issues. I will preform the surgery to take a peek when I get home. I'm using it wired right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 8 plus, Macbook 12" 2015, Macbook mid 2010 white
did you find a solution?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 32GB i7 3TB & 1TB NVME OSX 13,5,1 late 2013
can I jump in on this if thugs ok I don't mean to step on anyone's toes but the wifi card isn't detected you can see that,

its detecting the Broadcom USB hub

so its likely a bad WiFi card or the version of High Sierra is from dosdude1 and the wifi card in there is known to have issues,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Wifi cards are pretty resilient little guys. Hard for them to fail, and are one of the most reliable components of a whole computer.

2 possibilities:

1. Broadcom chip is not connected properly. Check connections.

My guess though is this-
2. Associated with a common issue with Macs of this time running FRESH(no piggyback upgrades) Sierra/High Sierra installs. This Wifi issue is pretty common on Macs with Broadcom chips and FRESH OSX installs from those years. It's known that Apple neglected to include drivers for Broadcom chips on newly downloaded Sierra/High Sierra operating systems.
Usually, Mac users don't notice this issue because they update from one OSX to a newer version(piggyback upgrade). This carries over all existing drivers from the old OSX onto the new one. What leads to this issue is installing a new HDD/SDD, while performing a new installation of Sierra/High Sierra. You will have missing Broadcom drivers depending on the model.

I would install the base OSX that came with your MBP, and then update right away to the most recent OSX you prefer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.