• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Best Home Page

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just installed Brave in Mojave and nothing. No import of anything. Tried it 2x. It works on HS though on my other systems.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just installed Brave in Mojave and nothing. No import of anything. Tried it 2x. It works on HS though on my other systems.

Thanks Dennis for verifying what Jake and I are experiencing. I hope Randy reads this and tests it with his version of Mojave. By the way, the other browser that Randy mentioned, Slimjet, acts the same way as Brave. No go.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Charlie, I tried one more thing, I have Chrome on the iMac with Mojave also with a few bookmarks in it. I tried selecting Chrome for import and that works. So it does not like the latest Safari in Mojave. Going to file a bug report on their site.

Reaction score

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Could the issue be with Safari, and the fact the Apple has secured it down tight, with only apps in the macOS App Store being able to access Safari?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Could the issue be with Safari, and the fact the Apple has secured it down tight, with only apps in the macOS App Store being able to access Safari?

Interesting. Very well could be. My MBP just installed a new Safari update in High Sierra but Brave still imported the bookmarks. I also feel it's a Mojave issue and what you said fits very well.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Interesting. Very well could be. My MBP just installed a new Safari update in High Sierra but Brave still imported the bookmarks. I also feel it's a Mojave issue and what you said fits very well.

Well, Mojave has been updated today to 10.14.3 but Jake reports that even with the update Brave will not import Safari bookmarks. I may give Brave another try and instead import bookmarks from Chrome. My version of Chrome is up to date and has the same bookmarks as Safari.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I posted that I installed Brave last night and had no problem importing bookmarks, but neglected to mention that I was importing them from Firefox not Safari because I don't use that on my MBP. I'm running Mojave 10.14.2 (didn't know there was an update but sometimes we are a day behind here). I too use Vivaldi, it has some unique features which work well for some tasks but Firefox is my go to because I can load all of the extensions I like to use like my password manager, Ghostery, Ad Block etc. Chrome works when Firefox won't for live streaming video and Safari is the repository of all my bookmarks over the years and yes I do use it on my old iPad because iOS 9.3.5 on an iPod mini 16Gb won't run much else successfully due to storage and CPU constraints. So I was sad to see that Brave won't run on that, needs iOS 12.
What I would like to see is how well the security features work on Brave without the addition of ad blockers and anti tracking extensions. I see that everything available on the Chrome extension shop is available to Brave, much like Vivaldi but without running in Developer mode.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, Mojave has been updated today to 10.14.3 but Jake reports that even with the update Brave will not import Safari bookmarks. I may give Brave another try and instead import bookmarks from Chrome. My version of Chrome is up to date and has the same bookmarks as Safari.

Thanks for the heads up on the .3 update. I am a Beta tester and I have the last Beta of .3 installed. will check after dinner.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I also forgot to mention the Brave "Rewards" system/option. Surely this is the most interesting element of this browser. I have to say I don't fully understand it.
It says in the How It Works tab; "Earn by viewing privacy-respecting ads and pay it forward to support content creators you love". What do I earn?
Get paid to view relevant ads that respect your privacy and "Support your favourite sites just by browsing – or tip a site any time you like".
Is this some sort of cyber currency or is it like reputation points?
I'm mystified. Obviously this is an area I'm a bit ignorant of.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is one other thing I noticed which may or may not be a issue for some. There is no personal login although it seems you can personalise for different users. There is an upside and a downside to this. On the upside it means my information (book marks, history, passwords and preference etc) are all stored locally, not on a remote data base which I'm sure will appeal to the security conscious among us but this means that information cannot be easily synced to another device.
I notice there is an iOS version which is a big plus to me but without the personal login, browsing and site information cannot be shared or synced across devices.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe a problem?

I just realised why the Quick Reply box looks so different. I noticed when the box is active it's grey thats different from Firefox but there was something else. I'm sure you can spot it, no tool bar. Curently I'm in Brave in the Advanced message box and the problem is the same here too. I'll swap back to Firefox and send.

Brave 2019-01-23 09:33:32.png

Firefox 2019-01-23 09:32:12 .png

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Perhaps we should port all of this to a new thread as we have strayed a little from the original subject but on this topic I installed Slimjet, a browser i have never tried. I'm posting this on it now and boy oh boy is it fast! Even with my on and VPN set to Australia I'm loading pages, like Facebook and my banking sites in
3-4 secs.
All of my bookmarks transferred from Firefox including the Tool Bar bookmarks. Like Shield it accesses the Chrome Store for Extensions and Themes and unlike Shield in the above previous thread the Quick Reply dialogue box appears with the editing tool bar as it should.
Obviously it warrants a bit more investigation but it looks pretty good so far.
The only downsides;
a. the issue with decoders. They have provided a workaround to allow download of the ffmpeg library in order to play common media types but this will need to be downloaded and installed at each update of Slimjet but i could put up with that.
b. no iOS version although if you are a Chrome iOS user that would not be a problem.

Note: The no iOS version, is one of the reasons I have not shifted to Vivaldi as my default macOS browser.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just realised why the Quick Reply box looks so different. I noticed when the box is active it's grey thats different from Firefox but there was something else. I'm sure you can spot it, no tool bar. Curently I'm in Brave in the Advanced message box and the problem is the same here too. I'll swap back to Firefox and send.

View attachment 29163

View attachment 29164

SOLVED: I did not realize until a few seconds ago that this browser blocks Java Script by default. You can selectively (for individual sites) turn that feature off by clicking a little icon at the righthand end of the address bar. Easy peasy. This browser is looking good so far.

Reaction score
I installed Slimjet, a browser i have never tried. I'm posting this on it now and boy oh boy is it fast!

Until very recently, Slimjet was the fastest browser I'd ever seen, and Brave was almost as fast, but had much better built-in security features. With recent updates both browsers are now wildly fast, and both have great security features. Competition is a wonderful thing!

Both SlimJet and Brave are based on Chromium.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Randy, I think I like Brave better and the security options are easy to customise once I got the hang of it.

Sent from my iPhone

Reaction score
Randy, I think I like Brave better and the security options are easy to customise once I got the hang of it.

That's great Rod!

I'm keeping an eye on all of the competitors: Vivaldi, Slimjet, Epic, Opera, FireFox, WaterFox, etc. and I'll let you all know if one leapfrogs all the others.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPr 15in. 2018, 2.9GHz i9, 32 GB
I've still been going back, and forth, between Vivaldi, & Brave. Brave is noticeably faster, but one or two small issues (just me being picky ;) ), keep me going back to Vivaldi.

@Randy..... Back in the day, there were articles on the Neenernet about the time delay between when Firefox released security updates, and when they landed in Waterfox. Was that either resolved?, or was the "delay" more hype, than an actual issue?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.