• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Best Home Page

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Waterfox?

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

I ran into Waterfox searching for a new browser that would load and display all the new web pages in Mac OSX Mountain Lion which I have to use on my older iMac as it's the last OSX that runs my older Photoshop that I need.

Its Firefox code but with the latest updates so all sites load and look great.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey Dennis....

What's going on over at Mozilla? It appears they either sold off or gave away Thunderbird to SoftMaker. I noticed that SoftMaker is bundling Thunderbird 52 with their Office suite (https://www.softmaker.com/en/blog). I used Thunderbird for quite a while during the time I ran both Windows and macOS since it worked well with both operating systems.

Reaction score
Waterfox?

WaterFox is an interesting story.

WaterFox is basically FireFox (which is open source code, so anyone can use it and modify it), but it is optimized for the best performance possible on the latest Macs.

"Waterfox is a high performance browser based on the Mozilla platform. Made specifically for 64-Bit systems, Waterfox has one thing in mind: speed.
What makes Waterfox so fast? It's built with Intel's C++ compiler. One of the most powerful compilers out there. This enables us to make the fastest possible web browser for all the code changes we make. This potent combination makes for an unparalleled browsing experience."

The thing is, a project like FireFox has to cater to a wide array of models of computer. WaterFox is a project taken on by a young programmer who wanted to see how fast a browser he could make if he concentrated on using the latest technology in the latest Macs using the most recent versions of the Mac OS. The theme of performance is also helped along by a lot of stuff that WaterFox removes from the underlying code, like DRM and tracking routines.

https://www.waterfoxproject.org/en-US/

Reaction score
What's going on over at Mozilla? It appears they either sold off or gave away Thunderbird to SoftMaker. I noticed that SoftMaker is bundling Thunderbird 52 with their Office suite (https://www.softmaker.com/en/blog). I used Thunderbird for quite a while during the time I ran both Windows and macOS since it worked well with both operating systems.

Since Thunderbird is open source code, anybody can give it away to anybody else.

Most people aren't aware that Thunderbird has been in maintenance mode for almost five years now.

So, That’s It For Thunderbird – TechCrunch

But at least they still release bug fixes and updates to keep it working with the latest Mac OS fairly regularly.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Well I suppose, to be fair, I should give Waterfox a try. Firefox is my default and has been for a while so I imagine a swap would be easy.

Sent from my iPhone

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.