Recommendation for a UK shop to purchase parts for my macbook pro A1502 2014

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 7,1 2.4 GHz, 2 GB ram
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I went to replacebase and looked in their discussion forum. There I found the same question and two answers, thebookyard.co.uk and applemacparts.co.uk. I haven't checked either. You might try contacting replacebase to ask them about the keyboard. They say it's OEM, which to me means exactly like the original so it should be backlit. But you can always ask.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Hi there.
I need a recommendation for a shop in the UK where I can buy some parts for my macbook pro 2014 A1502.
I'm looking for the keyboard. I was going to make the purchase from the Replacebase but I'm not sure the backlight is included.
https://www.replacebase.co.uk/apple...-late-2013-14-15-uk-keyboard-replacement-oem/
Is ebay the only option?
Cheers

I can recomment the bookyard having used them a couple of times. items I needed were in stock and delivered the next day :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I went to replacebase and looked in their discussion forum. There I found the same question and two answers, thebookyard.co.uk and applemacparts.co.uk. I haven't checked either. You might try contacting replacebase to ask them about the keyboard. They say it's OEM, which to me means exactly like the original so it should be backlit. But you can always ask.

When they say OEM, does it mean that it's a genuine Apple product? Or 'exactly like the original' but not Apple genuine. Is it true that Apple doesn't sell their replacements parts to anybody? And so if anybody claims to have Apple original parts, unless they come from faulty devices (therefore used) they're lying?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, OEM is "Original Equipment Manufacturer," that is, the company who originally created the end product. In the case of Apple, the OEM is actually Foxconn for most of the parts, as Foxconn builds the parts and pieces that go into Apple equipment, for example. Generally, the term OEM refers to the maker of the part, so an OEM keyboard would be a keyboard made by the same company that makes the keyboard in the Mac, for example. Technically, there are very few "Apple" parts at all, as Apple has OEM providers to manufacture the parts and pieces for them, which they ship to China to be assembled.

OK, with that philosophical bit aside, the question is whether or not the keyboard is exactly the same as what is in the machine. And the answer is, no way to tell until you put it in and see if it works exactly the same way. And even then, it may not be "exact" as there is no requirement for that. The keys may be slightly different in how they present the letters, or the cables may be slightly different in coloration, for example. Even among OEMs there is aways variation.

Let me give an example from the automotive industry. Let's say Ford assembled a car and in it the standard spark plug was from Autolite. That makes Autolite the OEM for spark plugs. But you can also put in Champion spark plugs made to the exact same specs and the car will run in exactly the same way. But if I'm restoring an old Ford and want to be "real" I would look for Autolite plugs because they were "OEM" at the time the car was made.

So, to answer your questions, in turn:

When they say OEM, does it mean that it's a genuine Apple product? As already discussed, Apple doesn't really have many "Apple products" in reality. They sell devices for whom the OEM is, largely Foxconn.

Or 'exactly like the original' but not Apple genuine. Again, Apple doesn't make much of the systems they have assembled and sell. So, "exactly like the original" is all you can get as Apple does not make keyboards directly.

Is it true that Apple doesn't sell their replacements parts to anybody? Apple has agreements for parts for authorized Apple resellers. But again, those parts may well have been OEM from Foxconn or some other manufacturer. Even in one system there may be multiple OEMs for the parts. Consider that some iPhones have Qualcomm modems and other have Intel modems, for example.

And so if anybody claims to have Apple original parts, unless they come from faulty devices (therefore used) they're lying? "Lying" is a pretty strong word. I've been very pedantic about what OEM is in this post and even I would not say that if I saw an ad for an "OEM Keyboard for a MBP" that it was a lie. For 99% purposes a part that is advertised as "OEM Apple" means that it comes from the same manufacturer that makes the part for Apple. But "100% Apple compliant" would be another way to say that a part is exactly like the one Apple ships with its systems.

In the case of your keyboard, the original link you gave says this:
OEM UK keyboard replacement for the 13" MacBook Pro Retina

Manufacturer: OEM

Apple Part Number: N/A

Base Model Compatibility: A1502

Date Compatibility: Late 2013, 2014 and 2015

Condition: New

Warranty This part is covered under our lifetime warranty, terms apply

This item is covered under our no quibble return policy, terms apply.
Parts Origin - OEM

The term OEM stands for 'Original Equipment Manufacturer', the exact meaning differs in several industries.

To us, OEM means that the part is the same part used within your device, using the same materials and specifications.

We use the term OEM to cover many parts from refurbished, used and new components, the exact condition will be stated in the items description.
I bolded what seems, to me, a critical statement. They are claiming that their keyboard is the same as the one in your Mac.

Now, does that include backlighting? You would have to ask as I don't know if the backlight is IN the keyboard or just attached to it. I suspect it is included, but there is no way to tell until you take it apart. But they do offer a full return if you don't like it, so the risk seems small to me. Smaller than going to eBay.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your very clear explanation. Unfortunately backlight is not included. I asked them the other day. Would you suggest to buy the keyboard from them (for about £22/at least it's identical to the one I had) and the backlight somewhere else (pay an extra £10)? Or go on ebay and buy one with the backlight included (without knowing if it's OEM), at the same price (£22).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't tell you what is best. I don't trust eBay, but it's because of a bad experience when it first started. I've never been back. Did you check at either of the other two places that were identified?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.