Iphone 6s, ios 10.3.3 & Yosemite 10.10.5

Reaction score
Hi, i'm extremely frustrated right now, and please bare with me this will be a lengthy post for the purposes of fully explaining my situation.

I'm on my MBP with 1x 960gb SSD hard drive that is partitioned into 2 drives.

1 partition was only 50 gigs and HAD Yosemite 10.10.5 on it - ONLY for the purposes of being able to back up my wife's 64gig iphone6s (10.3.3). My main partition is running 10.8.3 and won't communicate with her phone.

Many backups of my wife's iphone 6s were made with no problem on Yosemite with itunes, and all of her photos / videos were always backed up with Image Capture, which were always backed up to external drives and never left on the Yosemite partition.

However, the partition became too small and could no longer allow me to back up her phone, stating that there was not enough room in itunes during the last backup. I ended up having to backup / clone and reformat the entire drive and create a new larger 200gig partition for Yosemite. This in itself was a task and a half that took WAY too long.

Anyways, fast forward to me today, now finally wanting to back up my wife's iphone6s on the newly partitioned 200gb Yosemite drive.

Initially when i plugged her phone in, Photos would open and displayed all her pics on her iphone. I never use Photos, and prefer to use Image Capture (always have). I closed Photos and opened Image Capture. It gave me the following error:

"This Mac has not yet been granted access to media on "Val's iphone6s". In order to import media to this Mac, tap "Trust" on "Val's Iphone6s". You may need to unlock the device first."

Her iphone was unlocked and i repeatedly hit the "trust" when prompted. Image Capture would not allow me access to her phone. I tried rebooting the computer, Image Capture, her iphone, using a different usb port, as well as using a different cable. Nothing worked. All errors remained the same and kept coming with each attempt.

When i tried to connect her phone to itunes, it gave me the following error:

"iTunes could not connect to the iPhone "Val's iphone6s" because an invalid response was received from the device".

Again, her iphone was unlocked. I tried rebooting the computer, itunes, her iphone, using a different usb port, as well as using a different cable. Nothing worked. Again, all errors remained the same and kept coming with each attempt.

So after all of this pain in the *** effort, i'm still unable to back up my wife's phone.

Why would it have worked previously, and now it's deciding to not let me have access to her phone? Nothing has changed on my wife's phone, and i've installed the exact same install that i used the first time when Yosemite was put initially installed on the smaller 50 gig partition. Why would it not work now?

My MBP is running 10.8.3 on the larger partition, and Yosemite 10.10.5 on the current 200 gig partition.

My wife's iphone 6s was and always has been running IOS 10.3.3, with absolutely nothing changing or updated.

If anyone has any suggestions (besides me pulling more of my hair out), i'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance. Sorry for the long read.

Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 4.56.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 5.42.20 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Have you shut off the iPhone? Or performed a hard shut down on it?

Or maybe delete the plist file for iTunes?

OP
L
Reaction score
Hi there, yes as mentioned in my post, i did shut down the app, as well as the iphone and even restarted my MBP. All options were tried.

OP
L
Reaction score
Hey, so i have an interesting update. I'm holding off resetting the Network settings.

With my wife's iPhone 6s (10.3.3)...

When I'm logged into my profile on Mountain Lion, i'm not able to access my wife's photos with Image Capture.
I'm not able to connect to her phone with itunes (12.2.2) as it gives me the same error message.

When I'm logged into my wife's profile on Mountain Lion, I'm NOT able to access my wife's photos with Image Capture, as well i'm NOT able to connect to Itunes (12.2.2).

When I restart and boot up Yosemite and am logged into MY profile, i'm able to access my wife's photos with Image Capture and iPhoto. I'm NOT able to connect to itunes (12.2.2.25) and get that same error message.

When I'm logged into my wife's profile on Yosemite, i'm NOT able to access my wife's photos with Image Capture or iphoto and i'm not able to connect to iTunes (12.2.2.25) and get the same error message.

Why am i able to access my wife's photos via image capture and iphoto when logged into MY account, but not with hers?

Why am i not able to connect to itunes in anyway with her phone, whereas previously i was able to on Yosemite?

Ugh...

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
This is a very difficult problem to nail down.

One thing I found on the Apple Community site is this:
A phone with iOS10 requires iTunes 12.5.1 at least

In practice, that would require OS 10.9.5 or higher. You have Yosemite 10.10.x. *Therefore, my conclusion would be that you should be able update your iTunes to at least 12.5.x - and that should relieve the iOS/iTunes compatibility issue.*

Of course the iPhone 6S could go all the way to iOS 12, but I imagine you have resisted doing that because you would lose compatibility with Lion???

In the long run, you may have to forego Lion compatibility and concentrate on iOS/Yosemite compatibility with the latest version of each including iTunes.

Ian

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yes I'm of the same opinion. First thing I do after installing any operating system is go to the App Store and check for updates.
I am a little puzzled about your SSD size. You said it was 960Gb. I've never heard of a 960Gb SSD in a MBP. Is it an upgrade?

Sent from my iPhone

OP
L
Reaction score
I tried to actually post in the Apple communities about this same issue, but the buttons won't allow me to get past the initial post set up page (where you choose the topic etc).

This is a very difficult problem to nail down.

One thing I found on the Apple Community site is this:

Last edited:
OP
L
Reaction score
I never was looking for Mountain Lion compatibility, as it never existed. If you read my post, you will have noted that it was Yosemite that i was using solely for the purpose of backing up my wife's Iphone 6s (10.3.3), as Mountain Lion would not communicate. Yosemite DID work fine up until the 50 gig partition was too small and I had to go through the ordeal of reformatting the hard drive so i could partition with a larger designation for Yosemite. Since then, my wife's iphone is not communicating with itunes like it did in the past. Nothing changed, nothing upgraded or different at all. This is what i'm trying to figure out.

The suggestion of updating itunes is a possibility that i could try, but i didn't need to update itunes previously for this to work. So why would things be different now?

Of course the iPhone 6S could go all the way to iOS 12, but I imagine you have resisted doing that because you would lose compatibility with Lion???

In the long run, you may have to forego Lion compatibility and concentrate on iOS/Yosemite compatibility with the latest version of each including iTunes.

Ian

Last edited:
OP
L
Reaction score
If immediately searching for updates is your thing, then go for it. But it's not always the answer. It is not the answer in our case, as I have several applications that if i update her iphone, then iTunes will need to be updated, which will then mean that my OSX needs to be updated, which will also mean that some of my Mac OSX applications will no longer work. So it's a backwards domino effect and we are not going down that road.

As for my SSD, it's a Crucial 960 gig hd that was the largest of it's size at the time (about 6 years ago or so), as i wanted the closest thing to a 1TB ssd. I purchased this SSD from Tiger direct many years ago, and swapped it out with the MBP's original HD.

Yes I'm of the same opinion. First thing I do after installing any operating system is go to the App Store and check for updates.
I am a little puzzled about your SSD size. You said it was 960Gb. I've never heard of a 960Gb SSD in a MBP. Is it an upgrade?

Sent from my iPhone

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
"If immediately searching for updates is your thing, then go for it. But it's not always the answer. It is not the answer in our case, as I have several applications that if i update her iphone, then iTunes will need to be updated, which will then mean that my OSX needs to be updated, which will also mean that some of my Mac OSX applications will no longer work. So it's a backwards domino effect and we are not going down that road."
If you dont mind me saying so, that's the whole idea. This is what the industry expects you to do and sooner or later you will need to do this. For example El Capitan is no longer a "Supported" operating system. You will no longer receive security updates for this macOS meaning that it will become increasing vulnerable to malware attacks and security breaches.
With the exception of those who for technical reasons cannot upgrade beyond El Capitan other measures will be needed such as third party security and malware apps and VPN's.

Oh, and thanks I was a bit puzzled about the SSD size, now I understand. What model MBP is it? Like what year?

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
If immediately searching for updates is your thing, then go for it. But it's not always the answer. It is not the answer in our case, as I have several applications that if i update her iphone, then iTunes will need to be updated, which will then mean that my OSX needs to be updated,

Naturally, you must do what you think best. It's your equipment and your decision.

That said, I must echo Rod's comments and point out that if you want the synchronisation that you seek between iPhone 6S and iTunes, you must have iTunes 12.5.1 or later. You can do that now, possibly without changing anything else.

But if you want 6S-to-Image Capture, then you will probably need the OS and ESPECIALLY the iPhone brought up to date.

That's entirely your business. We can only advise.

Good luck.

Ian

OP
L
Reaction score
Hey Ian, i'd really like to know why it worked flawlessly, and then now it's not?? That is the answer i seek.

How would it make sense that it worked no problem, and now with everything copied back from an exact clone copy, it's not.

Updating is not always the answer, as there must be some logical explanation.

I don't believe what I'm asking is too far fetched.

Naturally, you must do what you think best. It's your equipment and your decision.

That said, I must echo Rod's comments and point out that if you want the synchronisation that you seek between iPhone 6S and iTunes, you must have iTunes 12.5.1 or later. You can do that now, possibly without changing anything else.

But if you want 6S-to-Image Capture, then you will probably need the OS and ESPECIALLY the iPhone brought up to date.

That's entirely your business. We can only advise.

Good luck.

Ian

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't believe what I'm asking is too far fetched.

Not all, not all. Very reasonable.

The problem, as I see it, seems to defy logic and I certainly don't have a "logical" answer.

What I offered is a solution - all be it, not one that suits you at the moment given your circumstances and personal preferences.

Ian

OP
L
Reaction score
Not all, not all. Very reasonable.

The problem, as I see it, seems to defy logic and I certainly don't have a "logical" answer.

What I offered is a solution - all be it, not one that suits you at the moment given your circumstances and personal preferences.

Ian

Fair enough Ian.

So would you say that updating itunes in my Yosemite before doing the Network Reset on my wife's iphone?

If i actually updated itunes, and that didn't work, and then reset her Network settings..and that didn't work...ugh...i'd be beyond frustrated.

Just trying to sort this out with the least amount of impact on my wife and/or her phone.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So would you say that updating itunes in my Yosemite before doing the Network Reset on my wife's iphone?

Yes, I would. It is the least obnoxious thing to do, with no discernible harm and likely benefit - ie synchronisation between iPhone 6S and iTunes. I think that will succeed; but if not, updating the iPhone to iOS 12.1.3 would be the next step.

Sync with Image Capture is another matter. I suspect that the iPhone would probably need to be running iOS 12.1.3 (latest).

I do most sincerely understand your dilemma. I can only suggest you take it one step at a time, then test the result.

Thank you for your patience.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.