Cant add Google accounts in Internet Accounts

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've come across an odd problem when trying to add a Google account in the Internet Accounts section of System Preferences. Whenever I choose to add one, it asks me to enter the email address like normal. I do this and click next but I'm left stuck on this bit, which fails to progress any further (I've kept it running for at least 30 minutes).

I can add my Google account via the "Add Other Account" option at the bottom of the list which works fine, however the same account sign in box pops up again if I click on the account entry in the list.

I did some research online and someone actually suggested logging into Gmail via Safari then adding the account that way (sure enough, a pop up box did appear asking if Safari could add this account to my Internet Accounts). This method worked fine (no Google account sign in boxes), however this only appears to work for one Google account and not multiple ones if I signed in using a different account.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can stop this Google account sign in box from appearing/hanging each time?

Just to clarify, I am not presented with any error messages of any kind including incorrect login credentials and there are no issues when accessing Gmail via my web browser or even via Mail in Windows 10. I have tested using both regular Gmail and G Suite email accounts.

Kind regards,
Matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
That looks like there is some kind of two factor authentication? Do you have a phone number associated with your gmail account? Maybe there is a a code being sent to that, pr an email address/text message?

OP
N
Reaction score
That looks like there is some kind of two factor authentication? Do you have a phone number associated with your gmail account? Maybe there is a a code being sent to that, pr an email address/text message?

I have literally just finished resetting up the email accounts via the "Add Other Account" option and did get an email through for each account to confirm the activity. I logged into each Google account and confirmed that it was safe, however I still have this issue with the Google account sign in box in Internet Accounts. I've had no other form of security confirmations besides the emails.

At this moment in time:

-I can access mail without a problem (imap/smtp is working fine)
-I am prompted for a password when attempting to access my address books (this just takes me to Internet Accounts and the Google sign in box which hangs after entering my email address)
-I am prompted for a password when attempting to access the Apple Calendar (Google sign in box also). However, I actually use Fantastical instead which did prompt for password/Google permissions and does actually work fine.
-I am prompted when attempting to access the Apple Notes app (back to the Google sign in box).

All of the above are selected in Internet Accounts in System Preferences.

My issue is that once I confirm the email address in the sign in box it just enters an infinite login loop and hangs unless I manually cancel. I cant even get as far as entering my password to complete any additional authentication steps.

I did actually test a separate Gmail account that has never been used on my Apple computer before and this demonstrated the same issue. I dont think I mentioned this initially but I have managed to successfully set up all accounts on my Android phone, which leads me to believe that my Mac is at fault somehow and not the accounts themselves.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Ok, what OS X/macOS version are your running on your Mac?

Can you set up a new user account on your Mac? This will see if there is a setting in your user account affecting the sign in procedure. If the new user account, has the same issue, it is a Mac/OS issue, if it works, then there is an issue with your user account.

OP
N
Reaction score
Ok, what OS X/macOS version are your running on your Mac?

Can you set up a new user account on your Mac? This will see if there is a setting in your user account affecting the sign in procedure. If the new user account, has the same issue, it is a Mac/OS issue, if it works, then there is an issue with your user account.

I use version 10.10.5 Yosemite. I set up a second user account and tried to set up a Google account that way and I was met with the same problem.

Its funny you should mention the OS because we do also have another Mac that is running version 10.12.6 currently that isn't used for work or emails and that one passed the initial email address section without a problem.

It seems strange how I suddenly cant set up Google accounts on my main machine though because we did just set up a new email account less than a month ago (I know a lot can change in a month, but it still seems weird).

Sadly upgrading the OS wont be an option mainly due to hardware restrictions (pro audio/media gear outboard).

Is there anything else you can suggest?

Many thanks for your help so far.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
N
Reaction score
Ok, that sounds like a Yosemite issue, since it is older, and probably no longer supported from Apple.

I was able to find this, https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6986330, see if the answer helps.

Thank you for the link, however I believe I have managed to resolve the problem.

Dont ask me how I worked this out but what I did was click the next button then right click anywhere within the white area of the sign in box and click Reload (Google iFrame?). After doing this, I clicked next again and it went straight through to the password part allowing me to complete the confirmation.

I think ultimately you are correct that it is an OS compatibility issue seeing as Sierra worked flawlessly on the first attempt. It could also be Google at fault too, its so hard to tell with these sort of things.

Many thanks for all of your help, I appreciate your time today.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad you got it sorted out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.