Eliminating Idrive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
I hope I’ve posted in the correct section, but here goes. I am running the latest OS on my Mac and have Idrive clouding services. I’m discontinuing it. Apparently they don’t have an uninstaller so I used Appcleaner. But there is still a pesky little Idrive icon in my menu bar. Can anyone give me some advice on how to totally eliminate this program? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
OP
firesidedog
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried command and click but it keeps going back to the menu bar. And yes that is the AppCleaner I used.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Thanks for confirming your AppCleaner version.

In System Preferences > Users & Groups, is iDrive listed under Login Items? You may need/want to restart your Mac to complete the process?

See here, https://www.idrive.com/help/Mac/uninstall

OP
firesidedog
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Strange, I did as you said and when I clicked on applications it came up empty. It doesn't even show on the side bar. But I know I have them. Anyway to resolve this?

OP
firesidedog
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, so what I did was go to login items and highlighted the Idrive monitor and hit the minus tab, restarted it and it hasn't shown up. However I still don't know why the applications doesn't show up on the side bar and my application folder is empty. But I still have my applications.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Strange, I did as you said and when I clicked on applications it came up empty. It doesn't even show on the side bar. But I know I have them. Anyway to resolve this?

Be aware, there are multiple Applications folders. One folder is part of the OS and the other folders are in each users Home folder.

Bob -

Sent from my 12.9” iPad Pro 1stGen using Mac-Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, so what I did was go to login items and highlighted the Idrive monitor and hit the minus tab, restarted it and it hasn't shown up. However I still don't know why the applications doesn't show up on the side bar and my application folder is empty. But I still have my applications.

You need to select and open your startup drive (Macintosh HD). Then the Applications folder shown there should have all applications installed. Select that folder and drag it to the sidebar.

Bob -

Sent from my 12.9” iPad Pro 1stGen using Mac-Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 4 GB RAM SSD OSX 10.11 & 2006 MBP Stuck At 10.6.8
I'm really late to this thread, but thought I'd share what I learned from iDrive tech support in case someone reads this later while trying to uninstall iDrive.

iDrive sent me these directions after my first installation of the application went haywire because my hard drive crashed mid-install (ironic, isn't it?)

A) Navigate to the application in Finder.
B) Right Click It
C) Choose "Show Package Contents"
D) Navigate to the "Content" folder & then to the "Mac OS" folder.
E) The uninstaller is in there. It is titled "iDriveUninstaller"
F) Double click it and it will remove iDrive and the menu bar icon. I think I had to enter my log in password somewhere in the process.

Many files iDrive uses have Prosoftnet in the name. When you are verifying all files are gone, do a search for Prosoftnet as well as for iDrive.
None were left after I uninstalled iDrive with their uninstaller. It did a complete job.

Checking today (with iDrive installed), Finder showed none with Prosoftnet in the name, but Easy Find found several of them in many locations.

Hope This Proves Helpful

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for that update. That has got to be one of the most unintuitive process I've heard of recently.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Checking today (with iDrive installed), Finder showed none with Prosoftnet in the name, but
Easy Find
found several of them in many locations.

Ahhh yes, I was just about to suggest using Find Any File (FAF) to search and destroy the required files or folders:
Thomas Tempelmann - Find Any File

Spotlight will often fail to show many files and stuff one needs to find.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for that update. That has got to be one of the most unintuitive process I've heard of recently.

Those instructions are direct from their support site and I have noticed quite a few other applications seem to hide an uninstaller.app in the same place when I have been snooping around.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That has got to be one of the most unintuitive process I've heard of recently.

Hiding the uninstaller is the main reason I had to ask their Tech Support for uninstalling directions.

For some reason, the application does not have a Help button & they do not have an on-line Search function for any of their help articles or videos.

If one can't find an answer by wading through list after list, asking is required. They do tend to answer within hours, so that part is helpful. (I've never tried phoning them) I'd think they would want a Search function to take some load off their tech support people.

Also of interest is that iDrive has many Help & How To videos, but no closed captioning. That leaves lots of us out-of-luck.

Thanks for suggesting Find Any File (FAF) Patrick. The application looks like it will be helpful since, as you mentioned, Spotlight seems to miss a lot of stuff and it sure can't keep the file dates correct for long.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for suggesting Find Any File (FAF) Patrick. The application looks like it will be helpful since, as you mentioned, Spotlight seems to miss a lot of stuff and it sure can't keep the file dates correct for long.

I am often amazed how often I am using Find Any File (FAF), and all its various options for searching, and you might also be interested in a similar program that can also be quite handy: EasyFind.app from DEVONtechnologies LLC.

Both "must have" apps AFAIC!!!

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use Easy Find and have much more success than I do with Spotlight. One example is the prosoft files mentioned above.

I am trying Find Any File and am quite amazed at how fast it is. I like the options. Thanks Again for suggesting it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am trying Find Any File and am quite amazed at how fast it is. I like the options. Thanks Again for suggesting it.

I agree, and it has increased in speed drastically since its earlier versions, and it doesn't even use any of the Spotlight's database stuff.

- Patrick
======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I agree, and it has increased in speed drastically since its earlier versions, and it doesn't even use any of the Spotlight's database stuff.

- Patrick
======
If I understand the way FAF and similar programs work there is little or no advantage to using the Spotlight database. Remember that these Spotlight alternatives find the files that they do in part because they look into areas of the system that Spotlight doesn't touch/examine (by design).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.