• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Advice need on best video convertor app for imac

Reaction score
Hi first post on here, apologizes if I have posted in wrong section. Just bought Refurbished iMac good bye old PC forever. I am still working my way through iMac for dummies, but one of the things I am having a problem with is finding the best and easiest app to convert video in to my itunes library. I have tried some free ones and some that have been recommended but I can not get any of them to work. I don't mind paying for any app just so long as it works. I am running El Capitan 10.11.6 not sure if this is up to date software.

Any advice for you Pro's would be very grateful.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Please provide specifics about the iMac and we can tell you what the latest version of the OS that machine can run. In general, macOS 10.14 Mojave is the latest version, so you are about 3 releases behind.

As far as video conversion goes, from what format are you trying to convert to what format? Have you tried Handbrake?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
To find out if you can use a newer version of OS X/macOS, you can look in the App Store. The most current version is Mojave, but prior versions are still available here, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201475. That is the Mojave upgrade webpage, but at the bottom, there are links for upgrades to Sierra and High Sierra as well.

I agree with Raz0rEdge, as I use Handbrake all the time to convert video files to use in iTunes too.

OP
G
Reaction score
Hi RazOrEdge

Thanks for fast response. I just had a quick look at Handbrake before I replied to you. The format I want to use is converting you tube music files to either mp3 or mp4 files and straight in to my Itunes. This was dead easy on my old PC but as I am still trying to work out the how to do tasks on this iMac the going is going to be slow. As regards to OS it seems I am several versions behind. What is the best way to get the latest's version installed, not worried about cost at my old age. Any advice will be most helpful.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks ferarr. Will have a look. Cheers for the link

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Well you'll be happy to know that a few releases ago, Apple decided to stop charging for OS upgrades, so they are all free. :)

MP3 is a audio format and not video. I'm not sure what format videos downloaded from YouTube are in but Handbrake has the output for iPhone or whatever to make sure it's the right format.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@GTD Guy Take a look at a program called ClipGrab. Once you put in the url, I think it can read that from your broser window, you can choose the format for the downloaded file. There is even an option to choose "audio only" which will as the name implies preseve only the audio. There are several video formats in the list and IIRC the first option works with iTunes.

This program has two things going for it IMHO:
1. Pretty simple to use.
2. Free

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Handbrake is very good and free but takes a little work and practice. Smart Converter Pro by Shedworx is by far the simplest, easiest app I've ever used. The free version will give you an idea but like me you will probably end up buying the Pro version which enables bulk conversions. Of course that depends on how much converting you need to do.

Sent from my iPhone

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.