Watch Series 4.0 and Music Collection

Reaction score
Hello,
I am considering the Apple Watch 4.0 but have a question regarding connecting to my music library.
I have a large catalog of music that I uploaded to iTunes. I do NOT subscribe to Apple Music.

Do you know if I will be able to connect to my iTunes music library and access the music that I uploaded on the Watch 4.0?

Thank You,
Bothrops

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The Apple Watch will only stream Apple Music or Podcasts by itself. Your music library needs to be synced to your iPhone and the Watch will control playback of it.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you for your quick reply.
I just want to clarify, my music library IS synced to my iPhone but I do not subscribe to Apple Music. Based upon your reply, it sounds like I could access my music library through the Apple Watch.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, I looked a bit further into this, and let's see if this works for you since you have music on your iPhone. On your iPhone, open up the Apple Watch app and scroll down to the Music option. You should now be able to select music that's on your iPhone to be synced with your Apple Watch.

On your Apple Watch, launch the Music app and you will have the options On iPhone and Library. The Library option is for music that's on the watch and you should be able to play there. I wonder if you choose On iPhone, if it will play the music on the iPhone or 'stream' it to the Apple Watch.

OP
B
Reaction score
Actually, I looked a bit further into this, and let's see if this works for you since you have music on your iPhone. On your iPhone, open up the Apple Watch app and scroll down to the Music option. You should now be able to select music that's on your iPhone to be synced with your Apple Watch.

On your Apple Watch, launch the Music app and you will have the options On iPhone and Library. The Library option is for music that's on the watch and you should be able to play there. I wonder if you choose On iPhone, if it will play the music on the iPhone or 'stream' it to the Apple Watch.

No, I haven’t purchased the watch yet so I can’t test your suggestion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I have an AW4 and do not subscribe to Apple Music. I did download a few songs to the  watch, tapped the Music icon to launch. It asked, as Ashwin said, whether I wanted to play what was on my iPhone or what was in Library. I chose iPhone and it launched into one of the tracks. So the AW4 can be a controller for the iPhone music. Next I disconnected my AirPods from the iPhone, left them connected to the  Watch. Launched Music, chose Library, tapped "Albums" and found the one I had downloaded to the AW, picked a track an it played through the AirPods. Went to iPhone, selected a stream of music and that played through the iPhone speakers. So you can play music from the AW directly, after storing it on the AW, or you can use the AW as a controller for Music on the iPhone. You put music on the AW through the Watch app on the iPhone.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Jake for going through the process.

Reaction score
Going forward on this post. I have just purchased a AW series 4.
I am concerned that my watch has collected my music back to it.
How do I remove all music from the AW?
I listen to Apple Music on my iPhone X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Use the Watch app on the iPhone to control the Music. I believe you can select what to remove from there.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Great info as usual guys. Thanks for going through the process Jake.

Reaction score
Turned it off via AW4. Hopefully that will work. Thanks folks. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.