Transferring MY Ringtones To New iPhone XR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" M2, Ventura OS
Hi All,

I bit the bullet and upgraded my iPhone 5s to an XR. Everything transferred except for the ringtones that I made myself from snippets of songs I uploaded to my MACBook Pro via CDs. I contacted Apple and they said those "Homemade" tones would not transfer. Am I dead in the water or is there a workaround to move those tone over? Please note, I have limited computer skills.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you look at this article and especially the section about Move Custom Tones, you'll see how to do it.

OP
KoobCAM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

Apple walked me through this method and it did not work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
What version of iOS is on the 5s? I don't have any custom ringtones, but are they selectable? Do you have the "Share" option? I do that from my iPhone to my mini all the time, maybe you can go from iPhone to iPhone?

Are the files still on your MBP? What are the specs of your MBP? Can you sync from your MBP to the new iPhone XR?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I think you need to be running the latest version of iOS 12 on your iPhone 5S - it is compatible with iOS 12.1.2

If you are, then I'm stuck because you should be able to export the Ringtone from wherever it resides on your Mac to iTunes and sync to your XS. But you seem to have done that?

Ian

OP
KoobCAM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What version of iOS is on the 5s? I don't have any custom ringtones, but are they selectable? Do you have the "Share" option? I do that from my iPhone to my mini all the time, maybe you can go from iPhone to iPhone?

Are the files still on your MBP? What are the specs of your MBP? Can you sync from your MBP to the new iPhone XR?[/QUOTE]

Latest iOS updates have been done to all devices
Do not have Share Option
Files are still on MBP
I can sync both iPhones to MBP
Ringtones appear in iPhone 5 Library when connected to MBP, but are empty on X Library under Tones playlist

Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 5.48.20 PM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.