iOS 12.1.2 odd behavior...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
iPhone 6s, updated couple of days ego to iOS 12.1.2 version, behaves strangely when receiving/making phone calls. I wish I could capture the screen, but every time I tried, the phone call hangs up and a blank page is captured. Screen recording did not help either...

I'll try to describe this oddity the best I can:

1. A call comes in
  2. Slide to accept the call
  3. "iPhone" is the default for answering the call
  4. Select "Speaker" for hands-free phone call
  5. A window pops up on the bottom of the screen with three choices, "iPhone" selected by default, "Speaker" and the person's MacBook
  6. Select "Speaker" and hands-free works just fine
The outgoing call behaves the exact same way for hands-free phone calls, except steps "1" and "2"... iOS 12.1.0 or any other previous versions did not have this oddity, my iPhone 8 Plus with iOS 12.1.2 does not have it either.

Is there a settings in iOS to remove the window pop-up for hands-free phone call, like it used to be in previous version? If there's none, how can this addity be fixed?

TIA...

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi

I can't answer your question directly, but want to ask a highly relevant question if I may.

Did you update via WiFi (ie over the air, OTA) or did you use iTunes via USB? Because I started a long thread about the 12.1.2 iPhone update - here: https://www.mac-forums.com/ios-and-apps/348739-ios-12-1-2-12-1-2-a.html?highlight=

The point is that the very latest version of 12.1.2 for the iPhone can ONLY be achieved by USB connection to iTunes.

If you read the thread, I pointed out how one can tell if you have the latest version.

It's possible that your i8 was by USB and your i6 by OTA??

Ian

OP
Cr00zng
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi

I can't answer your question directly, but want to ask a highly relevant question if I may.

Did you update via WiFi (ie over the air, OTA) or did you use iTunes via USB? Because I started a long thread about the 12.1.2 iPhone update - here: https://www.mac-forums.com/ios-and-apps/348739-ios-12-1-2-12-1-2-a.html?highlight=

The point is that the very latest version of 12.1.2 for the iPhone can ONLY be achieved by USB connection to iTunes.

If you read the thread, I pointed out how one can tell if you have the latest version.

It's possible that your i8 was by USB and your i6 by OTA??

Ian

Thanks Ian...

Actually, it's been the other way around...

My i8 had been updated via OTA and after reading the referenced thread a week or two ego, it also had been updated by iTune.

The i6 had only been updated via iTunes, no OTA, couple of days ego. I did make a backup via iTunes as always, prior to updating to 12.1.2, if that would help in rolling back to the previous version.

The not so funny thing is, that the i6 belongs to my better half and as such, the testing updates are done on my i8. Despite my testing on i8, where everything worked fine, her i6 always had some kirks after the updates. Like the current one with the speaker/hands-free, broke Siri, etc. We are getting to the point, where she does not want to update her phone and I cannot really argue with her. Security to be damned...

Would it be an option to swap SIMs, or giving her my i8? Her i6 is not backed up to iCloud, neither is mine, just the contacts. Could I restore the iTune backup created by iTunes to i8? I am not certain, if I could and what consequences would there be for doing so? I still need to lookup what is actually backed up by iTunes, if some of here data would be lost. Especiall her emails for seven or eight email accounts, most of them are business related.

Alternatively, just wipe the 6s, install the latest iOS and restore the data from iTunes backup. I really need to find a solution that fully backs up iPhone, like creating an image of the storage, where iOS is backed up as well, not sure what this type of backup called in Apple's world....

OP
Cr00zng
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My better half decided to shut her iPhone down, like she does when Windows 10 has some odd behavior. And just like in Windows, shutting down her iPhone fixed this issue.

The moral of the story... don't forget to try the most time tested method to fix issues, prior to doing anything else... :Blushing: ;D

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
So very true!:)

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.