Free Office questions

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Freeoffice is nice but it does not have the ability to work with older Microsoft documents. It can open them but no editing. I need that capability because my archives contain close to around 500 or more older MS Word documents that I need access to. Some of those documents were made with Office 97 for Windows.

Thanks for that info. I will not rent software and that seems the path MS is taking with Office 365. I will probably purchase the full version of Softmaker when I have some extra $$$. I also have some old Word and Excel files that might not let me edit them.

Reaction score
Freeoffice is nice but it does not have the ability to work with older Microsoft documents. It can open them but no editing.

That didn't sound right, so I just tried it to check...and it isn't.

FreeOffice can open files the older Microsoft file formats, AND it CAN edit them all that you want...it just can't re-save them in the older Microsoft format, you have to save in the newer Microsoft format.

I don't think that's a huge problem for most people. But if it is, the commercial versions of SoftMakerOffice can save in both the older and newer Microsoft formats.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Right you are Charlie. I had forgotten about that earlier thread. Thanks.

BTW I got an email from them today. A couple of the versions of SoftMaker are on sale for the next few days I think

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I received that same email. Take note that the sale is only for the subscription versions. But overall not a bad deal for the one year special.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That didn't sound right, so I just tried it to check...and it isn't.

FreeOffice can open files the older Microsoft file formats, AND it CAN edit them all that you want...it just can't re-save them in the older Microsoft format, you have to save in the newer Microsoft format.

I don't think that's a huge problem for most people. But if it is, the commercial versions of SoftMakerOffice can save in both the older and newer Microsoft formats.

This is what they (Softmaker Office web site) says:

FreeOffice reads the old Microsoft formats DOC, XLS, and PPT seamlessly. SoftMaker Office can also save in these formats.

I didn't see anything that stated those older formats could be edited? However, I'm assuming they can be edited but only to the XML format. (DOCX, etc.)

Reaction score
This is what they (Softmaker Office web site) says:

FreeOffice reads the old Microsoft formats DOC, XLS, and PPT seamlessly. ...
I didn't see anything that stated those older formats could be edited?

It's sort of implied...but I can definitively tell you that it can also edit them because I tested it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.