Any External Storage suggestions ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac -Monterey-12.6.7 27"Retina 5K, Late 2015, 3.2 GHz, i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, 250 GB SSD
My ext HD seems like it's on it's last legs. (making noises)

I am thinking I'd like an SSD around 1.5 TB. (I am not stuck on the SSD idea)

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Unless you have some special requirements, personally I would suggest any external USB HDD would be more than adequate.

They are sure a lot cheaper per megabyte for storage and backup use.

Just use Disk Utility to format it for Mac use.

Lots of various external USB drives in various capacities on sale for pretty cheap prices lately.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Also, be aware, SSD drives usually fail without warning signs.

OP
flyboyy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac -Monterey-12.6.7 27"Retina 5K, Late 2015, 3.2 GHz, i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, 250 GB SSD
Thanks Patrick and Bob,

Any thoughts on WD? They are a decent price @ Costco but they get pretty bad reviews.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Patrick and Bob,

Any thoughts on WD? They are a decent price @ Costco but they get pretty bad reviews.

Nearly all my external backup drives are WD but also include Buffalo and G brands.

I avoid any brands/models that use any proprietary hardware and always nuke and format as Mac format.

I also look for sale or good priced units using a compatible faster connection than USB 1 or 2. Lightening or Thunderbolt for example.

But your iMac also has the luxury of USB 3.0 ports (mine doesn't) that the COSTCO WD may use. Plenty fast enough for most users.
https://everymac.com/systems/apple/...-inch-aluminum-retina-5k-late-2015-specs.html

PS: I didn't know that Courtenay had it's own COSTCO store as if that really matters.

Edit:
Sure does, I just checked. Nice!!

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks Patrick and Bob,

Nearly all my external backup drives are WD but also include Buffalo and G brands.

I avoid any brands/models that use any proprietary hardware and always nuke and format as Mac format.

I also look for sale or good priced units using a compatible faster connection than USB 1 or 2. Lightening or Thunderbolt for example.

But your iMac also has the luxury of USB 3.0 ports (mine doesn't) that the COSTCO WD may use. Plenty fast enough for most users.
https://everymac.com/systems/apple/...-inch-aluminum-retina-5k-late-2015-specs.html

Al - as others have stated, you'll get much more storage/cost going w/ a spinning HD, which will also allow you to buy more devices for different backup strategies and redundancy, e.g. I back up an iMac and two Mac laptops on about a dozen external HDs - my strategies are TM (Time Machine) and Cloning software (used CCC, Carbon Copy Cloner) and I make 2 BUs of each, so 4 HDs/computer. I have a variety of brands (Seagate, WD, Toshiba, Buffalo, and a lot of OWC drives which use the HD technology of the first 3 companies in that list) - in the last 5 years, I've had just one drive fail (an OWC w/ a WD HD), but others will eventually, hence the redundancy.

As to which external HD(s) to purchase, just do some googling, e.g. 'external hard drives reliability' will bring up a LOT of hits - reviews may vary widely on their recommendations - also keep in mind that out of the dozens of HD makers in the past, there are now just 3 manufacturers of these devices, as the quote and pic show, i.e. Seagate, WD, & Toshiba - thus, a HD by another name will likely have one of those brand's drive (as in my OWC external HDs). Good luck w/ your choice(s) - Dave :)

At least 221 companies were hard disk drive manufacturers in the past.[1] Most of that industry has vanished through bankruptcy or mergers and acquisitions. None of the first four entrants continue in the industry today.[2] As shown in the graphic surviving manufacturers are Seagate, Toshiba and Western Digital (WD) all of whom grew at least in part through mergers and acquisitions (Source).
600px-Diagram_of_Hard_Disk_Drive_Manufacturer_Consolidation.svg.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

I can only relate my experiences with WD: I will not buy another WD hard drive regardless of price or size. I have had more failures with WD drives than any other and the replacement drive sent to me by WD (warranty) lasted only a week. Very poor quality control in my opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After posting the above, I was curious about current makers of SSDs and recent pricing which would impact greatly on purchasing external HDDs vs. Solid State Drives - amazingly, there are dozens of manufacturers of SSDs (vs. the 3 HDDs producers mentioned in my last post) - the chart below is just the top third from this Wiki source - today, I was reading the Jan 2019 issue of PC Magazine on my Zinio app - Samsung is now offering 500GB+ SSDs at dropping prices (see 2nd pic below from Amazon) - as I need to replace my external BU drives in the near future, may now start considering 'solid state' storage a reasonable option? Dave :)
Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 5.29.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 5.48.39 PM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Dave:

I have the Samsung T5 500GB and can testify that it is lightning fast doing backups. I also purchased it from B&H in NY when it was on sale for $99. Either one of those SSDs are a great buy. Keep in mind that you will need a Thunderbolt 3/USB-C port on your Mac in order to use the T5. My 2017 27" iMac 5K has 2 Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can only relate my experiences with WD: I will not buy another WD hard drive regardless of price or size.

Did you ever use any of the WD Black Series hard drives???

So far, all such WD Black Series drives I have ever used are still working.

Actually, even my very old WD MyBook Premier Edition 2011 era combo FW400/USB2.0 model external drives are still operational, but do only see limited use.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the chart below is just the top third from this Wiki source -

Interesting chart Dave. And interesting how fast some things change.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you ever use any of the WD Black Series hard drives???

Yes, I used them in PCs and also in a Toshiba notebook computer. But that was a long time ago when WD drives were reliable. IMO, their quality and quality control has gone down especially now that they more or less have a monopoly on the hard drive market. But, as I mentioned above that has just been my personal experience with them. Others might swear by them.

You know how it goes..... I like Strawberry ice cream, you like Chocolate ice cream..... ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You know how it goes..... I like Strawberry ice cream, you like Chocolate ice cream.....

Actually Charlie, I like and enjoy both, and others. :Smirk:

Or just pour some good liqueur over any ice cream and give it to me and I'll be a happy man... ;)

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dave:

I have the Samsung T5 500GB and can testify that it is lightning fast doing backups. I also purchased it from B&H in NY when it was on sale for $99. Either one of those SSDs are a great buy. Keep in mind that you will need a Thunderbolt 3/USB-C port on your Mac in order to use the T5. My 2017 27" iMac 5K has 2 Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports.

Hi Charlie - thanks for the comments above - just replaced my aging iPad Air 2 w/ a 2018 11" iPad Pro, so dealing w/ the USB-C cable 'games' - my current laptops/iMac have older TB & USB 2.0 ports - I re-looked at the Samsung SSD on Amazon (pic below) and apparently a cable is included to allow an USB connection (of course at a slower rate) - not in the market for replacement external drives at the moment but as my older ones fail, might consider SSD replacements if the prices continue to drop - my iMac and MBPro will be 6 years old this spring and replacements may be on my mind in the near future? Dave
Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 11.41.19 PM.png

Reaction score
Interesting chart Dave.

I follow this area very closely because I'm asked about it all the time. I have some contacts in the hard drive recovery industry that provide a lot of fascinating information.

Unfortunately, Dave's chart can be a bit misleading (at least if you use it to purchase your hard drive based on the quality you've come to expect from one or another manufacturer). For instance, while Toshiba purchased HGST's 3.5-inch drive (rotating disk hard drive or RDHD) mechanism business, Western Digital retained the name "HGST" for their exclusive use. So HGST-brand 3.5-inch RDHD mechanisms currently come from Western Digital. However NEITHER company, WD or Toshiba, makes drives in the old HGST factories in Japan, which used to churn out some very excellent RDHD's. Both now have them made *for them* in China by multiple subcontractors (or sometimes in other S.E. Asian countries). So you can't infer the previous quality that you could get from HGST, to either company's products.

Even more confusion...EXTERNAL hard drives, branded either Seagate or Western Digital (the two largest companies making RDHD"S), are currently garbage. Not because of the internal mechanisms necessarily, but because the external cases (with their electronics, power supply, and cooling, etc.) are garbage. When RDHD's hit about 1TB, they required more power and more cooling. Neither Seagate or WD bothered to update their external cases for this, so all of their external hard drives tend to be very unreliable. Both are best avoided.

And both Western Digital and Seagate, as far as INTERNAL RDHD mechanisms, make both some of the very worst mechanisms (I mean really, really unreliable)...and some of the very best mechanisms. It all depends on which model of mechanism you are talking about, or, in the case of an OEM external hard drive manufacturers, what specifications they asked for when purchasing internal mechanisms to put into their own cases. Both WD and Seagate make INTERNAL mechanism models with close to no quality control (so that they are inexpensive to make) and very low prices, and higher end models with very good quality control (and still decent prices surprisingly). So if you say that WD and/or Seagate make horrible drives, you are correct. But if you say they make excellent drives, you can be correct also.

So, what's good to purchase?

If you are purchasing a consumer (that is, available to the public) INTERNAL 3.5-inch RDHD, you might be best going with Toshiba. WD, at the top end, makes some even better consumer RDHD's, but their quality varies by model year. The RED and GREEN WD models are best avoided, while their BLACK models are often excellent.

If you are looking for an EXTERNAL RDHD, you need to go with a company that has modern, well designed cases, and which either or both specs high quality internal mechanisms and personally tests the internal mechanisms they purchase before putting them into their case.

I like OWC for very reasonably priced and reasonably reliable external RDHD's:
https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/owc-mercury-elite-pro/usb-3.1

If you want THE MOST RELIABLE external RDHD, and you are willing to pay a bit more for it (but still not an outlandish price) I recommend:

Glyph Studio drive
https://www.glyphtech.com/product/studio
Glyph drives come with a 3-year warranty that includes advance replacement during the first year and it also includes data recovery services for 2 years!
These are the drives that professionals use, but they aren't that much more money than a consumer-quality drive.

Amazon offers them at a good discount:
http://is.gd/6rLM1d

I hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
5K Retina Display 3.5GHz Processor with 1TB Capacity Intel Core i5 Processor with 7 Quad-core Proc
Isecond that only ssd now

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
5K Retina Display 3.5GHz Processor with 1TB Capacity Intel Core i5 Processor with 7 Quad-core Proc
Hi Charlie - thanks for the comments above - just replaced my aging iPad Air 2 w/ a 2018 11" iPad Pro, so dealing w/ the USB-C cable 'games' - my current laptops/iMac have older TB & USB 2.0 ports - I re-looked at the Samsung SSD on Amazon (pic below) and apparently a cable is included to allow an USB connection (of course at a slower rate) - not in the market for replacement external drives at the moment but as my older ones fail, might consider SSD replacements if the prices continue to drop - my iMac and MBPro will be 6 years old this spring and replacements may be on my mind in the near future? Dave
View attachment 29033
I agree that the Samsung is good stuff just got one 2 cables supplied usb and usb c

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I follow this area very closely because I'm asked about it all the time. I have some contacts in the hard drive recovery industry that provide a lot of fascinating information.

Unfortunately, Dave's chart can be a bit misleading (at least if you use it to purchase your hard drive based on the quality you've come to expect from one or another manufacturer). For instance, while Toshiba purchased HGST's 3.5-inch drive (rotating disk hard drive or RDHD) mechanism business, Western Digital retained the name "HGST" for their exclusive use. So HGST-brand 3.5-inch RDHD mechanisms currently come from Western Digital. However NEITHER company, WD or Toshiba, makes drives in the old HGST factories in Japan, which used to churn out some very excellent RDHD's. Both now have them made *for them* in China by multiple subcontractors (or sometimes in other S.E. Asian countries). So you can't infer the previous quality that you could get from HGST, to either company's products.

Even more confusion...EXTERNAL hard drives, branded either Seagate or Western Digital (the two largest companies making RDHD"S), are currently garbage. Not because of the internal mechanisms necessarily, but because the external cases (with their electronics, power supply, and cooling, etc.) are garbage. When RDHD's hit about 1TB, they required more power and more cooling. Neither Seagate or WD bothered to update their external cases for this, so all of their external hard drives tend to be very unreliable. Both are best avoided.

And both Western Digital and Seagate, as far as INTERNAL RDHD mechanisms, make both some of the very worst mechanisms (I mean really, really unreliable)...and some of the very best mechanisms. It all depends on which model of mechanism you are talking about, or, in the case of an OEM external hard drive manufacturers, what specifications they asked for when purchasing internal mechanisms to put into their own cases. Both WD and Seagate make INTERNAL mechanism models with close to no quality control (so that they are inexpensive to make) and very low prices, and higher end models with very good quality control (and still decent prices surprisingly). So if you say that WD and/or Seagate make horrible drives, you are correct. But if you say they make excellent drives, you can be correct also.

If you are purchasing a consumer (that is, available to the public) INTERNAL 3.5-inch RDHD, you might be best going with Toshiba. WD, at the top end, makes some even better consumer RDHD's, but their quality varies by model year. The RED and GREEN WD models are best avoided, while their BLACK models are often excellent.

If you are looking for an EXTERNAL RDHD, you need to go with a company that has modern, well designed cases, and which either or both specs high quality internal mechanisms and personally tests the internal mechanisms they purchase before putting them into their case.

If you want THE MOST RELIABLE external RDHD, and you are willing to pay a bit more for it (but still not an outlandish price) I recommend:

Glyph Studio drive
Glyph drives come with a 3-year warranty that includes advance replacement during the first year and it also includes data recovery services for 2 years!
These are the drives that professionals use, but they aren't that much more money than a consumer-quality drive.

I hope this helps.

usb c and not to expensive for 2TB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately, Dave's chart can be a bit misleading ...

Even more confusion...

I hope this helps.

Quite interesting Randy, and actually removes some of the confusion and more confusions thanks.

I must say I've been pleased with the internal WD Black Series hard drives I usually use, and two used with my Newer USB/FW Dock.

The worst and shortest in use drive was an unreliable OCZ SSD I purchased for my old 2007 MBPro. It never completely died, but was often doing odd and unreliable things.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Unfortunately, Dave's chart can be a bit misleading (at least if you use it to purchase your hard drive based on the quality you've come to expect from one or another manufacturer). For instance, while Toshiba purchased HGST's 3.5-inch drive (rotating disk hard drive or RDHD) mechanism business, Western Digital retained the name "HGST" for their exclusive use................

Glyph Studio drive

Hi Randy - thanks for the thorough and excellent discussion - obviously Wiki's diagram and chart are simplifications. I like the OWC 'Mercury On-The-Go' RDHDs - comprise 6 of my dozen external drives - most have an HGST internal drive but several inserts are Seagate and WD.

For you and others, a couple of questions or thoughts: 1) Should one's external HHDs be replaced periodically, e.g. when they reach 5 years of age? I just checked the 4 HDs that I use to back up my MBAir w/ DriveDx - all were perfectly fine and several are 3+ years old - of course, another alternative is to have redundant BU drives, and replace the ones that die; 2) As these external SSDs drop in price, the question becomes whether to replace old HHDs w/ SSDs, of course the latter can die also; and 3) The Glyph HDs look excellent w/ a great warranty - I'm assuming this manufacturer does not make their own internal drives, does anyone know which brand(s) are used in their products? Thanks all for any comments. Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.