How to do a manual transfer of Mail in Mojave?

Reaction score
Here is the problem.

My Mac (2012 MacBookPro) had started to slow down and have random crashes. As I hadn't done a clean install since several computers prior, now was the time.

As part of the process, I want to replicate the mail contents and preferences from the old system to the new.

I don't want to use Migration Assistant, because it brings in legacy files that may be part of the problem.
I don't want to use Import as it loses the original structure.
Rebuilding IMAP doesn't work for all of my accounts as some are POP.

What I would like to do is copy the appropriate system files from the old system to the new (with appropriate edits and permission tweaks), and have something that looks like my old mail set-up with access to gigabytes of archived emails.

This is what I tried:
  1. I backed up the computer to a hard-drive using Carbon Copy Cloner
  2. I erased the disk on the MacBook and installed a clean copy of Mojave
  3. From the old system I copied: the Mail folder from Library, the Mail Downloads folder from the CCCLibrary, and the file "com.apple.mail.plist" from old Library/Preferences.
  4. I replaced these in the clean system (deleting what was there). There was no "Mail Downloads" in the clean system. There was no "com.apple.mail.plist" in the clean system, but there was "com.apple.mail-shared.plist"
  5. I repaired permissions as recommended by Apple (link)

Unfortunately, I am not getting a replica of my original mail set up.

Does anyone have any idea what files I am missing??

TIA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to mthe forums.

You nhave not stated what operating system you are trying to bring your former Mail setup from. Maybe it is just not compatible with Mail OS 12.2 used in Mojave.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank-you. Glad to be here. It's Mojave to Mojave. I think both are the latest Mojave, but will check.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
As I hadn't done a clean install since several computers prior, now was the time.

As part of the process, I want to replicate the mail contents and preferences from the old system to the new.

I don't want to use Migration Assistant, because it brings in legacy files that may be part of the problem.

Wow!!! Talk about a "make-work" project that probably may not even work or do what you are expecting. As well, you might get finished in a few months if you have just a small amount of just a few GBs of email.

And BTW, welcome to mac-forums.

And certainly lots of less desperate ways and methods to possibly solve your problem(s).
My Mac (2012 MacBookPro) had started to slow down and have random crashes.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Happy to consider less desperate options...

I would suggest just using Migration Assistant.app and just migrate what you want if you're concerned and I don't know what you mean by "corrupt" legacy files.

But maybe skip any third party software apps for now.

And maybe some other members will suggest their method(s) of installing a "clean system" and how they do it.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.