Question about 2FA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5",mid2011,2.5 GHz,12 GB mem,OSX 10.13.6; iPhone SE; MacBook Air,early2015,1.6 GHz,4GB
Somewhere on this forum I read a thread that claimed that all new Apple devices would require 2FA, with no option to opt out.
I have a couple of questions:

1) What if a person only has one Apple device, how do they receive the code? I have an iPhoneSE and a mid 2011 iMac. When the phone is too outdated to use, I will not have another iPhone. My Mac is getting old. I really like the Mac, but the 2FA might be a deal breaker for myself in terms of getting a new one, as it might be my only Apple device. My kids and half of my grandkids all have iPhones, and no other Apple devices.

2) How often will the 2FA code be asked for. If a person turns off the iPhone to go to the theatre, or any other reason, when it is turned back on will the 2FA code be required? If one is away from home and only carrying the phone, how do they get the 2FA code if it is required? I have a vacation spot with very limited cell phone reception. I only turn my iPhone on once a day to check messages.

Thanks
Dan

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5",mid2011,2.5 GHz,12 GB mem,OSX 10.13.6; iPhone SE; MacBook Air,early2015,1.6 GHz,4GB
Okay, answered part of my question: I just read that 2FA will be a requirement for new Apple ids, but not necessarily for new Apple devices for someone who already has an Apple id?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
2FA is a function of your AppleID account, not any device in particular. Only if the account is modified will 2FA kick in. Or if the owner of the new device creates a new account, that account will have to have 2FA. If that device inquires of your AppleID account to purchase something, or change a password or log into the account and 2FA is set up, the 2FA will trigger. Just using the phone will not do that. Turning it off/on will not trigger a 2FA response.

You don't need to turn the phone OFF to go to the theatre, just move the silence switch on the side to the silent position and in Settings>Sounds&Haptics, turn off Vibrate to silence the haptic motor that makes a little hum when it vibrates the phone. That will then prevent disturbances whilst in the theatre.

The 2FA code that is required will be sent to your iPhone, if that is the registered device associated with your AppleID. If you use that account to sync the Mac to the iPhone, the code will also appear in Messages on the Mac.

Apple is trying to make 2FA as easy as possible. I have noticed that for some 2FA uses the code automatically populates to the entry box. One might wonder why, if it's coming to the iPhone, is it required at all? Well, to use my iPhone, any nefarious character would need my face (it's an XS with facial recognition) or my login code (6 digits) to open the phone, then know my AppleID and password to long in to even trigger the 2FA response, so at that point it's pretty much moot. But what 2FA does prevent is someone who gets your AppleID and password from logging in on THEIR phone because the 2FA comes to mine.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the explanation, Jake, very thorough!
I like to turn the phone off completely at times so there is no temptation to pull it out of my pocket and check for calls or messages.
At the lake the cell coverage is sporadic and the battery goes dead fairly quickly while searching for service, so I do need to turn it off for the most part.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Danno

I completely understand your difficulty when you are reliant on cell coverage only and even that is dodgy.

But there are other options for dealing with this, conserving battery etc without turning the iPhone off.

You could put it into airplane mode via control centre, then turn that off when you are ready to receive calls.

Or, more hassle, you could disable location services for all apps and disable notifications; but the former is easier and involves just one action.

Ian

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply and suggestions, Ian. I am sometimes 2 to 3 weeks in this situation and assumed that, even in airplane mode, the battery would go dead in this length of time. As for location services, I have that turned off for all apps at ALL times, even at home with good cell coverage.
Dan

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Dan

Yes, of course the battery is very unlikely to last 3 weeks in Airplane mode; but I assumed you had some means of charging it?

If, in your lakeside or other location, there is no mains electricity from which to charge your iPhone, you can get a battery charger for any iDevice or similar which you charge up before leaving home. These are usually good for at least 2 to 3 full charges of an iPhone. Just a thought.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.