HELP! New OS's are driving me nuts!!!

OP
Mr. D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook
What am I missing with these new O.S.'s like 10.14.2???

How do I get new DVD's to show on my desktop so I can burn data to them??

DVD's with data on them show up, but blank ones do not! I've never had to initialize DVD's or whatever before! I've been told I should try to enjoy the new changes in O.S. updates.... but I need help in doing that! Don't make me run back to my iMac running 10.6.8 to do things! LOL!

Thanx in advance for any help!

Reaction score

As I look back through this thread, there have been several suggestions for things for you to try to get your optical disks to show up on your desktop and/or alternate ways for you to burn to a blank disk.

Which of these have you tried, and what were the results?

Unless you work with us by telling us what you've tried, we don't know what to suggest for you to try next.

Asking the same question over and over isn't going to get you anywhere.

Also, you apparently have three Macs: a 24" iMac, a 15" MBP, and a 13" MacBook. Which of these three is the one that has both an optical drive and OS X 10.14 (Mojave) on it?

It might even be best for you if you fall back to an earlier version of the Mac OS. We would need to know what model of Mac you have to be able to tell you if that is possible or advisable.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What am I missing with these new O.S.'s like 10.14.2???

DVD's with data on them show up, but blank ones do not! I've never had to initialize DVD's or whatever before! I've been told I should try to enjoy the new changes in O.S. updates.... but I need help in doing that! Don't make me run back to my iMac running 10.6.8 to do things! LOL!

Thanx in advance for any help!

When you insert a Blank DVD, Does a box pop up asking you what to do? If so click on Open Finder then on OK. Then the Blank DVD should show on the Desktop if you have the option to show DVD's checked in Finder Preferences as talked about a few posts back.

Another question. which one of your Macs are you running 10.14 on?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Ok The above I was trying on my iMac in High Sierra. In Mojave there is an issue. I talked to a few devs and they say it's broken in Mojave. Try this:

Create a burn folder containing the files you wish to burn. Right/control click on the folder and choose "Burn…" from the contextual menu.

I am having the same issues on my newer iMac with Mojave. The above seems to work for now. It should be fixed with an update soon as i am reporting it to Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
When you look in System Preferences > CDs & DVDs, what is the default setting for CDs and DVDs? I just connected my external DVD drive, so I could see what the options were.

Also, when I put a DVD in the drive I had this popup window, Screen Shot 2018-12-29 at 2.34.33 PM.png , maybe you selected "Ignore" and also selected "Make this action the default"?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you look in System Preferences > CDs & DVDs, what is the default setting for CDs and DVDs? I just connected my external DVD drive, so I could see what the options were.

Also, when I put a DVD in the drive I had this popup window, View attachment 29020 , maybe you selected "Ignore" and also selected "Make this action the default"?

Here Mojave Beta 3 even, If I click OK on open Finder the blank does not mount on the desktop. Found several Devs reporting same issues, And yes in Finder Preferences DVD is checked as well as all other options to show on desktop. Works fine on same iMac booted into High Sierra,

Pat, no not in Mojave here and for many others. I would not select Ignore, Been doing this too long for that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I don't have anything displayed on my desktop, so I didn't miss it, it's more concerning to me, that the disk did not display in my sidebar.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't have anything displayed on my desktop, so I didn't miss it, it's more concerning to me, that the disk did not display in my sidebar.

On my sidebar I get something called Remote Disk with a DVD icon but clicking it shows something strange like the name of my other iMac on my network! :D Grin

The only thing that has worked so far with a blank DVD in Mojave is making a Burn Folder and putting what you want to burn in it and right click burn to DVD. So there is a work around for now anyway. I was assured it will be fixed. That is with burning in the Finder as you could use a burning application like Toast of Burn and do it that way.

BTW, since my late 2012 imac does not have a DVD built in I am using an 8x external USB DVD drive.

Last edited:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Re-read the OP and he was stating even Flash USB drives are not showing. That is not an issue here. Just used one last night. I think in that case he is not going to Finder preferences and checking what should show on the desktop.

I am also thinking it might just be an issue with USB DVD drives. Going to plug that external into my iMac with High Sierra and see if the Blank mounts when I click Open Finder. The iMac where the DVD mounts is a 2010 with High Sierra and built in DVD drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On my sidebar I get something called Remote Disk with a DVD icon but clicking it shows something strange like the name of my other iMac on my network! Grin

Sounds like they should have just left all the optical disk software alone with Mojave and just left it as it was — in a working state!! Sigh... :Grimmace:

It seems that poor old Mr. D (Dave) is quite legitimate with his Mojave frustrations!!

- Patrick
======

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like they should have just left all the optical disk software alone with Mojave and just left it as it was — in a working state!! Sigh... :Grimmace:

It seems that poor old Mr. D (Dave) is quite legitimate with his Mojave frustrations!!

- Patrick
======

Pat, Agreed for sure. I tried to reboot into High Sierra and it said the burn folder was ready to burn do I want to eject the DVD, I clicked ok and it will not eject nor let me reboot. Tried everything. My Report to Apple tonight will VERY long! :D Grin

Ok had to hold down power but booted now in High Sierra on same 2012 iMac and when I click show finder and ok it mounts the blank. It's for sure a Mojave issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pat, Agreed for sure. I tried to reboot into High Sierra and it said the burn folder was ready to burn do I want to eject the DVD, I clicked ok and it will not eject nor let me reboot. Tried everything. My Report to Apple tonight will VERY long! :D Grin

Ok had to hold down power but booted now in High Sierra on same 2012 iMac and when I click show finder and ok it mounts the blank. It's for sure a Mojave issue.

Not typical old Mac OS behavior and maybe some can understand and appreciate as to why I usually run Mavericks or El Capitan. Both almost as good as Snow Leopard but it did get a bit too old for my use but still readily available and bootable!!! :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.