DNS setting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M2 16GB Memory Apple M2 Chip, Somona
Does anyone know what is the correct Xfinity DNS setting??
Custom DNS Setting.png

Lan Failure ?? How do I fix this
Lan Connection Failure.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
I would think Xfinity would know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
You should not have to enter DNS settings. All your router need to know is what is the IP address of the Infinity modem. I have Infinity at work and we use custom DNS servers (Open DNS) so we don't even use Infinity/Comcast's DNS servers. The default IP address for our infinity modem is 10.0.0.1.

You can input DNS settings of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 which are free Google DNS servers.

A little more information about your setup would help.

Lisa

OP
Dittoman1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You should not have to enter DNS settings. All your router need to know is what is the IP address of the Infinity modem. I have Infinity at work and we use custom DNS servers (Open DNS) so we don't even use Infinity/Comcast's DNS servers. The default IP address for our infinity modem is 10.0.0.1.

You can input DNS settings of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 which are free Google DNS servers.

A little more information about your setup would help.

Lisa

DOnt know much about it but Xfinity is 75.75.75.75 and 75.75.76.76 but when I ran Open Wireless Diagnosics, it mention I m using wrong DNS, thats why I asked

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Xfinity, should have their settings in the router. Are you looking there, or on your Mac? I’m not nea my Mac mini at the moment, but you may want to log in to your router to check those settings?

OP
Dittoman1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Xfinity, should have their settings in the router. Are you looking there, or on your Mac? I’m not nea my Mac mini at the moment, but you may want to log in to your router to check those settings?

I was logging into router setting what I see is
Ron-iPad 6
Ron-IPad 6-2
Ron-iPad 6-3 or 4... is that because everytime I change something it adds last number so means I can deleted anything before that but how ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try to reboot the router, see what that does for the connected devices?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Try to reboot the router, see what that does for the connected devices?

And also go Network pref pane > select Ethernet tab > use Configure using DHCP > Advanced > click the "Renew DHCP Lease".

That at least would work for any normal ISP router connection.

- Patrick
======

R

Rocky97

Have you recently changed to this ISP or have you always been with XFinity and this popped up? It seems there's an issue with your ISP's DNS servers, if DNS servers are not manually entered , your DNS server IP should be provided by your ISP.

OP
Dittoman1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And also go Network pref pane > select Ethernet tab > use Configure using DHCP > Advanced > click the "Renew DHCP Lease".

That at least would work for any normal ISP router connection.

- Patrick
======
I see, makes sense, Thank u

Have you recently changed to this ISP or have you always been with XFinity and this popped up? It seems there's an issue with your ISP's DNS servers, if DNS servers are not manually entered , your DNS server IP should be provided by your ISP.

Heres what happen, I ran Open Wireless Diagnosics, and thats what I got ( look below ) the info. But its the right DNS anyway, I think...lol
DNS Setting.png

Thank You, Merry Christmas to everyone

OP
Dittoman1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Merry Christmas, however you did not answer my question?
Sorry, Yes I ve always been with Xfinity, Pop Pop just started few weeks ago

R

Rocky97

You could try first clearing your DNS cache as the cache may be corrupted. Otherwise you could try changing your DNS server as there may be an issue with your ISP's DNS server.

Clearing DNS cache
1) Open the terminal.
2) Enter the following command: "sudo dscacheutil -flushcache;sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder". (Note: do not include quotation marks within the command).

Changing DNS servers
1) Click the Apple icon at the top.
2) Click 'System preferences".
3) Click "Network".
4) Click "Advanced" on your selected wifi network.
5) Select the DNS tab.
6) Remove the DNS servers by clicking the - button.
7) Add public DNS servers by clicking + and entering the IP addresses.

Public DNS servers
Here is a list of public DNS servers: https://www.lifewire.com/free-and-public-dns-servers-2626062
I usually try 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as DNS servers, these belong to Google and I've found these to be reliable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Assuming you are using the Xfinity router for WiFi and that you have a local area network set up, your IPs on your devices should be in the range of 192.168.x.x, or 10.x.x.x. Whichever it is, the router has a DNS function at the 1.1 address, so 192.168.1.1, or 10.x.1.1 depending on your LAN range the DHCP server is using to assign numbers. That is the "default" but you can also add others, including the ones given by the other folks who have posted. The system will use the DNS sources in the order that they show in the System Preferences box where you enter the addresses for DNS.

Why the 1.1? Because most system reserve that address for the router itself, so basically you are querying the router for DNS service and it passes the request to the DNS address it has been told to use by the Xfinity network to which it belongs. Your request goes up the line until it has hit a DNS service that has an address for that URL, at which time the results are passed back down the chain, eventually reaching your system and you are on your way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.