What does a gray marker next to a reputation entry mean?

Reaction score
Just got a notification of a new reputation "vote" or whatever it's called for a post I made in a particular thread. No comment was made, and I noticed the little square/rectangular marker next to it was not green (positive) nor red (negative), but gray. I don't recall a third option for reputation (thought it was just "I approve" or "I disapprove") so what does that gray marker mean? By the way, I'm not sure if comments are required to give negative rep, but I would suggest that any reputation vote have a comment required.

OP
usagora
Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Grey I would take as 'no comment'.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I believe the gray box shows up when someone presses the "thumbs up" icon and then closes the dialogue without any comment. (In other words, I approve or I disapprove.) Sometimes folks mean well but they don't correctly complete the process when giving rep. When giving rep, you need to either approve or disapprove. Comments are not required, nor are you required to leave your name.

OP
usagora
Reaction score
I believe the gray box shows up when someone presses the "thumbs up" icon and then closes the dialogue without any comment. (In other words, I approve or I disapprove.) Sometimes folks mean well but they don't correctly complete the process when giving rep. When giving rep, you need to either approve or disapprove. Comments are not required, nor are you required to leave your name.

Wait, so simply clicking the thumbs-up icon will register in a user's reputation without clicking the "Add to Reputation" button? That's really strange. That would explain why it's gray, though (i.e. it's not helping nor hurting your rep score - perhaps a member was just clicking on it to see what it did or was going to give feedback but changed their mind), but it's just really odd why it would send any data without clicking the button. Since the "feedback" has no effect, then it seems sort of pointless that it's even there.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Gray reputation marker means member giving the feedback/reputation has not yet met the minimum parameters for giving positive (green) or negative (red) reputation.

Generally speaking...this would apply to newer members. This is a safeguard to minimize abuse of the reputation system.

Thanks,

Nick

OP
usagora
Reaction score
Gray reputation marker means member giving the feedback/reputation has not yet met the minimum parameters for giving positive (green) or negative (red) reputation.

Generally speaking...this would apply to newer members. This is a safeguard to minimize abuse of the reputation system.

Thanks,

Nick

Thanks for the clarification, Nick. So you're saying these users think they're submitting positive or negative feedback, but it comes through as "neutral" to avoid abuse? So some troll could think he's rating me negative and leave a nasty remark, and I'd still see it, but it just wouldn't affect my reputation (because it comes through as "neutral")? Still seems odd, as the reputation has no effect in that case and the user thinks they're contributing but really aren't. They might as well PM you or just reply in the thread since the only thing that would have any meaning would be the comment (if they leave one). Why not just have a pop-up that alerts them they are not able to use the reputation system yet?

Can you tell I'm anal? :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for the clarification, Nick. So you're saying these users think they're submitting positive or negative feedback, but it comes through as "neutral" to avoid abuse? So some troll could think he's rating me negative and leave a nasty remark, and I'd still see it, but it just wouldn't affect my reputation (because it comes through as "neutral")?

That's exactly it. There are parameters in place to prevent abuse of the reputation system.

Still seems odd, as the reputation has no effect in that case and the user thinks they're contributing but really aren't. They might as well PM you or just reply in the thread since the only thing that would have any meaning would be the comment (if they leave one). Why not just have a pop-up that alerts them they are not able to use the reputation system yet?

I wouldn't exactly call it "odd". It's simply a measure to control abuse of the system. There are a number of these control measures in place on the site...to control abuse of different site paramters. If the member that gives the feedback continues to be a member that follows the Community Guildelines themselves...and is a contributing member of the community...they will eventually surpass the abuse parameters in place...and then the "gray repuation" (neutral) will eventually be green (positive) or red (negative).:)

- Nick

OP
usagora
Reaction score
If the member that gives the feedback continues to be a member that follows the Community Guildelines themselves...and is a contributing member of the community...they will eventually surpass the abuse parameters in place...and then the "gray repuation" (neutral) will eventually be green (positive) or red (negative).:)

AHH, there's the missing piece of the puzzle. I thought they would stay gray forever--thus my comment about it being "odd" (not the fact that there are abuse measures in place - that of course is totally not odd ;) )

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
One other thing about rep...

If you feel you have been given negative rep unjustly, you can contact either Nick, myself, or Dennis by PM, explain the situation, and we will look into it. Only Admins have the authority to alter rep.

And thanks to Nick for better explaining the gray rep. I had forgotten about the rules for new members regarding rep. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
AHH, there's the missing piece of the puzzle.

Yes, relief to finally know how it works. Or at least how it is supposed to. :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.