Windows 7 on Macbook Pro 2006 17" early 2006 I believe NO SOUND

Reaction score
Hi all

I bought this Mac wanting to feel the nostalgia of when the family computer was a 2006 Mac. After buying this I ran into many problems on Snow Leopard 10.6.3 not being able to run the software I wanted to use. In the process of trying to install Windows 10 I somehow wiped the device. Went to the laptop repair shop and was told that my laptop would not run windows 10 (I disagreed) and he handed me a windows 7 disk which I couldn't care which Windows was on it so long as it worked.

So I installed Windows which went through fine, two problems.

First and most important I have no sound, the audio output in the bottom right has a red and white cross through it.

Second my webcam is not detected.

The first issue I've done all sorts like download bootcamp drivers and extract and the realtek drivers too and nothing has worked.

Bout ready to throw the **** thing. Would appreciate help because I've tried everything I can find on the internet, its the old Macbook pro 2006 17"

model is A1151 I believe.

Also anyone able to give advice on how to get snow leopard back on without a disk and get it on dual boot.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

I believe your MacBook Pro (17" 2006 model A1151) is not able to run Windows 7 because Boot Camp drivers are not available. That model should be able to run Windows XP. Also, that model maximum memory is only 2 GB which is barely adequate for Windows 7. You might be able to install Windows 7, but as you found out, drivers are a problem.

You can purchase a Snow Leopard DVD direct from Apple on line. Price is $19.95. You can install with that disk, however, it will likely overwrite Windows 7.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Really not worth the expense. And as chscag says drivers are the problem.

OP
J
Reaction score
I bought a external soundcard adaptor on amazon for 5.99 on same day delivery just to give it a shot.

Anyone with problems with sound on Macs just do this!!

You can't put a price on sound, works perfectly. Where there's a will there is a way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.