• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Easy to use (OS 10.14 APP) for "simplest editing" of data from Handbrake?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook
I took the GREAT advice & used Handbrake to get video data off my old home Videos! Thanx!

Now I need to find a "Very, simple Editing APP" that will accept an input of that data so I can edit videos. A beautiful, & simple app like the iMovie HD edition app of years ago. I can input data from Handbrake to iMovie HD....BUT it takes as much as 24 to 36 hours for the import on a Mac running OS 10.6.8! So...... I 'd like to find a non complicated editing APP that runs in OS 10.14!

I find the newer versions of iMovie to be made for "professional movie makers on the way to a Cannes Film Festival!"
I just want to edit my family videos... that I took outside the Cannes Film Festival! LOL!

Thanks for any help in advance,

Mr. D - The Retired Teacher with the Roush Supercharged Mustang! It's now up to 688 H.P. with an X Pipe exhaust change! Only 3640 miles..."driven ever so carefully" by a 77 year old man on the way to the senior center! Honest! Really!

•Old Best Mustang Pic.jpg

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I forgot you had that incredible ride. Never let me borrow it or you night not get it back. lol Hope you have a nice, safe place to take it out and let those ponies run a little.

As for your question, How much editing are you needing to do? If your needs are pretty basic QuickTime Player can probably handle it. See here for example. Perhaps this video is a better example.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
I find the newer versions of iMovie to be made for "professional movie makers on the way to a Cannes Film Festival!"
I just want to edit my family videos
Not quite true. iMovie is very capable, but you can use it for very simple edits quite easily.

OP
Mr. D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
•Old Best Mustang Pic copy.jpg
I forgot you had that incredible ride. Never let me borrow it or you night not get it back. lol Hope you have a nice, safe place to take it out and let those ponies run a little.

As for your question, How much editing are you needing to do? If your needs are pretty basic QuickTime Player can probably handle it. See here for example. Perhaps this video is a better example.

SLYDUDE - Thanx for the compliment on my Mustang! If you were a little closer I'd take you for a ride & see if I could get your heart moving! 35 to 120 MPH is frightening in it's acceleration like a jet fighter! Not a car for the young & brace or stupid! It requires "extreme attention & judgment"! If you ever get 45K you can spend I'll tell you how to get one! Sure bets the prices for it's competitors from Ford & Dodge by 35K with close to the same H.P.!

Back to my Mac issues: Years ago I was happy using an old video camera that had a "pass through" setting that would allow me to run the output of a VCR or DVD player through the camera set on "pass through" or some such setting into a Mac Computer running OS 10.6.8. I wound up having the original video tape or DVD input into the app iMovie HD (Which is an old video editor which is extremely "intuitive" & easy to understand with just a little trail & error. Apple has not been smart enough to upgrade that application for today's users that "ONLY WANT" to edit their kids sports video or vacations for a non commercial purpose without a lot of study! Everyone isn't making a video for the Canne Film Festival Apple! HAVING SAID THAT... do you know of any electrical mechanisms (little retail boxes, etc.) that will take a DVD Video & convert it to a direct import accepted into most any Editing App?? I may try to find an older Video Camera that has that "pass through" selection switch that converts a DVD data signal into a data signal that a Mac can input into using either the older OS 10.6.8 computers so I can use my old, loved iMovie HD... or into the later O.S. 10.14.1 if I can find a MORE INTUTITIVE VIDEO EDITING APP!

I'd be interested if anyone has any ideas!

Thanx in advance for any of your ideas!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
o you know of any electrical mechanisms (little retail boxes, etc.) that will take a DVD Video & convert it to a direct import accepted into most any Editing App??
This would probably do the job if your DVD player has the right connections:
https://www.elgato.com/en/video-capture

However, if your Mac has a dvd drive, then a much cheaper way would be to use Handbrake to convert your dvd to a video file:
https://handbrake.fr

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
#Mr. D
If you ever get 45K you can spend I'll tell you how to get one! Sure bets the prices for it's competitors from Ford & Dodge by 35K with close to the same H.P.!

Your yellow beast reminded me of a friend's friend in Edmonton Alberta Canada that also has a yellow beast, but the comments in this review are interesting and helps his insurance rate:
2012 Dodge Charger SRT8 Super Bee
Today’s Chrysler Hemi V-8 engines generate even more thrust than did their legendary ancestors, even though it’s known that the published output of the old 426 Hemi—425 hp—was deliberately rated lower than the actual output, a measure calculated to bamboozle insurance companies.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2012-dodge-charger-srt8-super-bee-test-review

As another 77 senior and ex sportscar and motorcycle nut, I can appreciate your chariot and the thrill it can provide.

Almost like the custom Model T with a Cadillac supercharged V-8 another friend's friend has that's referred to as his $100 car.

He will often leave a $100.00 bill on the dashboard, and the deal is, whoever is able to reach out and get hold of the $100 bill while he accelerates, gets to keep the bill. So far no one has been able to do that. The G-Force is just too much!!!

I'm sure your wheels are in about the same category.

Here's a shot of the 2012 Dodge Charger SRT8 Super Bee, and I have to say those Hemi's are some incredible engines, even un-blown:

2012 Dodge Charger SRT8 Super Bee.png

- Patrick
======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
We were car hunting recently. If we hadn't needed room in the trunk/rear for my wheelchair, SWMBO would have gotten the current Dodge Charger. Two of my uncles had those cars some time in the late '60s/early '70s. My personal choice would have been a Mustang of some sort.

For practical reasons we settled on the Subaru Outback. Nice care, we love it for our purposes, but it's not a Mustang.

@Mr. D The El Gato device that MightyGem linked to should do the job if you are importing video from videotape. There are some similar gadgets out there that will import the composite output from many DVD players but they are more expensive. As MightyGem mentioned video from a DVD can be imported from the disc into your Mac with the right software.

If you start looking at the El Gato device you will see a number of similar devices. Some of them are significantly cheaper. Word of caution; Make sure the vendor has a good return policy. I bought one a few months ago that claimed to be Mac-friendly. It wasn't and has failed to work in every OS from 10.6 onward.

In what I suspect was a bad Chinese to English translation, the response from tech support was less than helpful. It boiled down to:

1. Reinstall the software
2. Try running it under Windows

I had altrady tried both solutions before contacting them. The only good thing I can say is the gizmo was cheap enough it wasn't worth trying to do a return.

Last edited:
OP
Mr. D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mighty Gem
Thanx! Handbrake worked fine for 11 videos conversions... & then it would not work giving me the message my hard drives were full... when they were not! ??? I'm going to re-down load Handbrake & see if it is a bug that disappears with a fresh download of Handbrake. ????

This would probably do the job if your DVD player has the right connections:
https://www.elgato.com/en/video-capture

However, if your Mac has a dvd drive, then a much cheaper way would be to use Handbrake to convert your dvd to a video file:
https://handbrake.fr

OP
Mr. D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd like to have a Dodge too, but I don't have another garage stall & my Mustang was about 30K cheaper... & of course money does become an issue when buying toys! I've only got 45K in my Mustang which is a pretty good price for 700 H.P. I was even too cheap to buy a Shelby... besides I really like the body of the standard Mustang better than the Shelby. I found an authorized Roush shop that installed all the Shelby under the hood supercharger components without the Roush fenders, etc.... & the higher price & still got a Roush/Ford warrantee! I upgraded the exhaust adding an X Pipe, etc. & got it up to 700 H.P. with better acceleration. All that & it got 30 MPG on a trip to Las Vegas. I love 50's Chevies... but new stuff is nice too!

#Mr. D

Your yellow beast reminded me of a friend's friend in Edmonton Alberta Canada that also has a yellow beast, but the comments in this review are interesting and helps his insurance rate:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2012-dodge-charger-srt8-super-bee-test-review

As another 77 senior and ex sportscar and motorcycle nut, I can appreciate your chariot and the thrill it can provide.

Almost like the custom Model T with a Cadillac supercharged V-8 another friend's friend has that's referred to as his $100 car.

He will often leave a $100.00 bill on the dashboard, and the deal is, whoever is able to reach out and get hold of the $100 bill while he accelerates, gets to keep the bill. So far no one has been able to do that. The G-Force is just too much!!!

I'm sure your wheels are in about the same category.

Here's a shot of the 2012 Dodge Charger SRT8 Super Bee, and I have to say those Hemi's are some incredible engines, even un-blown:

View attachment 28889

- Patrick
======

OP
Mr. D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just for "Work Around Method info" if anyone cares!

I was able to able use Handbrake to rip my home video DVD's into QuickTime Videos. From there I imported tthem into an old 10.6.8 version of iMovie HD on an iMac that is so simple & obvious to use. The only downside to this method is that with the iMac & old 10.6.8 OS speed it can take a long time to import the QuickTime video. Some have taken 18 hrs. Approx. LOL! I have an old iMac in a unused bedroom, so I just let it cook until it's imported! LOL! It's easier than trying to learn to use the newer Hollywood Movie iMovie versions... when I just want to re-edit some old videos! Everyone doesn't want to make a movie for the Cannes Film Festival... & I was there & need to edit the video I shot! LOL!

Thanx all!

I wish I could find a 10.14.2 OS Video editing app that was as easy to use as the old 10.6.8 era versions of iMovie HD. I must be missing something because I think a lot of people must want a SIMPLE TO UNDERSTAND video editing app just to use for editing vacation home videos! I guess the issue is fewer people are burning their home videos on to DVD's! Many are watching unedited home movies using their video cameras & the video chips from the camera... I guess! No thanx! I have video of 2 months in Europe & I don't want to see all the dumb stuff "I shouldn't have shot!" LOL!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I wish I could find a 10.14.2 OS Video editing app that was as easy to use as the old 10.6.8 era versions of iMovie HD.

I haven't done any such video for ages but maybe have a look at some of the selections here just doing a search on "Video editing", and see if there is something that might suit your fancy:
https://www.macupdate.com/find/mac/Video editing

Note: The developers site is usually provided there so you can get more info and details about the software if you want.

Or maybe just do a websearch on 'mac mojave Video editing' for some choices, and maybe add "easy" in the search:
https://www.google.ca/search?safe=a.....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j35i304i39.5Wh3CkYG6hM

PS: I understood that Mojave was supposed to have some basic simple video editing builtin, ie, see:
https://lifehacker.com/the-best-features-to-try-in-macos-mojave-1827517100

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm also looking for a simple editing tool. I've tried many different applications but they change the dimensions when exporting and increase the file sizes significantly. I just need a tool that can edit straight from HandBrake, like cutting clips and then save the file with the same properties as the original.

The new editing function in Mojave seems interesting though. I hope it can do this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.