"Invalid URL" when trying to insert images

Reaction score
Ok, this happened last night, but eventually it finally worked. Now it's happening again today, and it's getting annoying!

I can't even post a screenshot of the error message, but it's at this very much valid image URL:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4836/30940290047_be1db5c33e_b.jpg

When I go to Insert Image > From URL > [paste URL in text field] > OK I get a pop-up message that says "Invalid URL"

What gives?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
I'm trying it the same way,

Yup I got the same message.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Download the image to your machine and then Upload it instead of linking it.

OP
usagora
Reaction score
Download the image to your machine and then Upload it instead of linking it.

Tried that, but it doesn't work either. After I select the image from my computer, there's no button to submit the request...I took a screen capture of it, and ironically, IT will post from the URL, but the other image still won't :Not-Amused:

44967141725_a2dc8be79a_o.png

These are both images hosted on Flickr, so I don't get it. Why would one URL be considered valid and the other not, when they both are working URLs? I suppose it might work if I keep deleting and uploading problem images to Flickr until this site is happy with the chosen URL, but there's obviously a problem here that needs to be fixed.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Under the "Choose file" button, the string "Upload File(s)" is actually the button, just not styled properly.

OP
usagora
Reaction score
Under the "Choose file" button, the string "Upload File(s)" is actually the button, just not styled properly.

Thanks--that worked. They really ought to fix that button styling (or rather lack thereof) and the issue with the URL, though. I'll use the download/upload workaround for now.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just tested the URL link, just make sure that you uncheck the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" option and it will link without any problems. Downloading the remote file and then adding it seems to be broken.

So you have two ways of adding screenshots.

OP
usagora
Reaction score
I just tested the URL link, just make sure that you uncheck the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" option and it will link without any problems. Downloading the remote file and then adding it seems to be broken.

So you have two ways of adding screenshots.

Ah! I hadn't even noticed that option - that would explain why when a URL did work, it showed the image as attached (though that was strange). Seems like an odd default option, though, since I'm assuming attachments are taking up server storage space. Only advantage I see is to prevent broken links if those remote images are ever moved or deleted.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

I noticed that a while back but we had so much going on that it was forgotten. Something else to add to the "need to get done" for the site software. The software that controls user profiles is also in need of repair.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.