Accessing passwords on a Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" IMAC with an M1 chip &16 GB Memory
For the past 20 minutes I havew been trying to access he list of my passwords to no avail On my IPAD I just go into them system Icon on the bottom and scroll down to the passwords and then hilight it. I cannot figuew out what I am doing wrong and am not able to access the list of passwords. HELP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello - now, I'm assuming that you mean PWs on your iMac and that you are using Safari and want to view the ones used in that browser - correct?

If so, then simply go to the Safari menu -> Preferences -> Passwords - enter you computer password and the saved websites should be there (as shown below) - let us know if this is what you needed; if not, please clarify your request. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2018-11-03 at 1.48.10 PM.png

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" IMAC with an M1 chip &16 GB Memory
That was easy now that I know what keys to push. Thank you very much.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The other area that passwords are stored is in /Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access. Once it launches you will be prompted fro the [assowrd too unlock it (usually your account password).

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Spot on, Dave. Another success story.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15", Original iPad, iPad 6, iPhone 5
Oh, good. Here is my chance to ask a question I've always wanted to know.
I don't usually use Safari (but I use Firefox).

Are the passwords in Safari explained above the same ones as in Keychain? I just went to Safari prefs and there are lots and lots there but since I don't use Safari much it seems like they might be from the system/keychain.

Anyone know?

Thanks

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think the passwords in Keychain are mirrored over to Safari and possibly other browsers if they have been given access to your Keychain. This isn't an automatic two way street though. If I log into Mac-Forums, for example, in another browser I sometiems have to enter my passowrd even though it's in the keychain. I think to depends upon whether the app/browser in question has been given access to the keychain.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Both Safari and Chrome can access the keychain. I'm assuming Firefox and Opera can do the same. Also, by allowing keychain access via iCloud, you can do the same when using iOS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15", Original iPad, iPad 6, iPhone 5
Wow. Interesting. That explains a lot. Thanks for the information.

I learn so much just reading these posts.

Diane

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
That was easy now that I know what keys to push. Thank you very much.

Spot on, Dave. Another success story.

Ian

@ Timkins - glad that I could help w/ your question - :)

Hi Ian - thanks - hope that your DFU situation has been resolved, but my belated condolences imagining that I'd have the same reaction(s) as you did! - Dave

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Thank you, Dave.

Yes, resolved; but I hope I don't have to go through all that again. And, of course, I have to live with 2FA on all our devices. C'est la vie:)

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That option is still available Patrick but it can turn out to be quite a chore because it would have to be done for each device and then authenticated. I believe Ian feels that it may be just as easy to leave things the way they are.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
That option is still available Patrick but it can turn out to be quite a chore because it would have to be done for each device and then authenticated. I believe Ian feels that it may be just as easy to leave things the way they are.

Thanks Charlie, and we almost got trapped into using Apple's latest 2FA thing a while ago that was partially set up and it did waste a fair bit of my time to get it all undone, but it was worth it in the end and hopefully just a one time thing.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
What I recently found out, was using a mixture of older OS versions with 2FA, causes most of the issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
What I recently found out, was using a mixture of older OS versions with 2FA, causes most of the issues.

My understanding of the whole Apple authentication thing is that Apple wants users, at least those who use any of it, to switch from the older Two-Step Authentication to the newer Two-Factor Authentication, case in point:

Apple Pushing Two-Factor Authentication: What to Do
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/apple-two-factor-authentication-explained,news-25885.html

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.