Need Some Info - Help With Older MacPro Installing Windows

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an older MacPro 1,1 that I need to upgrade the Windows Software on the Boot Camp side.

I am currently running Mac OS 10.6.8 on the Mac side and Windows XP on the Boot Camp side and that XP software has run it's course and is not supported anymore by nearly anything. I need to upgrade the Windows side to install different newer virus software. I am currently running BitDefender software and I HAVE to change to a different provider. The 2019 BitDefender crashes my newer iMac so it had to go on both machines.I am going to switch to McAfee for both platforms.

The minimum for McAfee is Windows 7. I have 64 bit Windows 8.1 Pro installed on my iMac and both 'retail' disks including the 32 bit 8.1. I know I will need to buy a new key (I assume I need to) for the 32 bit 8.1 disk if it will work on the MacPro 1,1 (I realize the MacPro 1,1 will NOT work with the 64 bit software).

The questions are.... Will 32 bit Windows 8.1 work on the older MacPro 1,1?

EDIT: The MacPro is running Boot Camp version 3.2

Would there be any problem upgrading the Windows XP on the MacPro as it's configured? I am just about maxxed out as far as upgrade on the Mac side OS but can still use my machine on the PC side.

I don't want to buy an new key for the 8.1 if it will not work on the MacPro I have.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance,

Clark

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Give away that AV nonsense on the OS X side as there are no viruses that will infest your Mac Pro. Malware yes but not viruses.

You do need AV protection whatever version of Windows you are running.

OP
B
Reaction score
Give away that AV nonsense on the OS X side as there are no viruses that will infest your Mac Pro. Malware yes but not viruses.

You do need AV protection whatever version of Windows you are running.

Hi,

I am not concerned with the virus software on the Mac side. I have downloaded Avast for both computers and it seems to work just fine.

But I do need to know if the version of Boot Camp and my MacPro 1,1 OS will support 32 bit Windows 8.1. I don't want to buy a key or software only to find out it is not compatible. I KNOW that Windows 7 will work on it but if the Windows 8 will work it gives me a newer, longer supported software from Windows.

Just to mention what I read some time ago... the Intel Macs don't have as many viruses or whatever but they do have some since the dual OS chip is running on the system. I read (and don't take this to the bank) that it can cross transfer between the OS systems other software running on both sides.

Thanks for the reply,
Clark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Change to read ANY viruses. AV companies like to call malware viruses to sell their junk by cash or advertising. A Windows virus cannot transfer period. Good luck,

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi,

Look, I really don't want to argue about the virtues of Mac OS X vs. malware/viruses as that is not the point of my post but...

It is not true that Macs are not susceptible to attack. If anyone wants to run naked on their Mac that is their business (I personally will not) but be forewarned that it is not 100% safe.

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000737.htm

"Note: If you are running a virtual PC on your Apple Macintosh or Windows in Bootcamp, because it is emulating Microsoft Windows, it can become infected with Windows viruses."

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/can-macs-get-viruses/

That said, can anyone help me on my original questions?

Thanks,

Clark

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.