Got a series 3 Apple watch

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yes chscag, even my now superseded Watch3 does a graph of my daily heart rate, current, resting and walking/exercising on the watch and in the Workout app. The Watch3 can be set to alarm on set parameters like a high or low limit the Watch 4 even alerts on irregular rhythms like AF and can record an EKG on demand that can be displayed on your iPhone.
I have kept my default settings for notifications, if I exceed 120 BPM or go below 40 BPM for10 min.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I loved my old Nokia flip phone. My other watch is an analogue self winding mechanical so this venture into the world of digital watches is just because I love technical things. No doubt my Mechanical watch will still be working when I die which I'm sure is much more than I can say about the Apple Watch but its not nearly as much fun.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I continue to be impressed with my Apple Watch. The battery life is excellent. I wear it in bed at night now in order to run a sleep monitor. It has an audio recorder as part of the app and because I used to suffer from sleep apnoea monitoring both the quality of my sleep as well as any snoring is valuable.
So my current habit is to take it off when I wake and charge it until after I've showered and dressed for the day. The impressive part of that is that it's often still 40% charged or more when I take it off and after about an hour its fully charged again.
I have kept the number of apps on the device to a minimum which is pretty easy to do as it "mirrors" a lot of apps on the iPhone without needing to have them installed on the watch itself. Accessing them can be done in a few different ways but i have found the simplest way is to have more than one of the same watch face each with different "complications" (the term for on screen applications/functions). I prefer the digital watch face so I have two of them in different colors and other than the time they have completely different complications such as a timer, the date, reminders, a weather app, heart rate, Shazam and so on. Its easier to swipe between faces than bring up the alphabetic list by pressing the crown or the recent apps list (Dock) by pressing the side button.
I have deleted some of the faces i would never use but I still have an analogue "utility" face with second hand and 24hr bezel for those times I just want to see time passing eg. how long it takes my wife's new MBP to boot.
Back in Indonesia now I find it works as well as the 3G network here or WiFi at home. Not as fast as Australia, especially if using Siri but still quite acceptable.
The stock standard silicon watch strap is one of the most comfortable I've ever worn even overnight in bed.
I am still tweaking notifications on the iPhone to suit my preferences on the watch but I've nearly got it now.
I love being able to put both the watch and iPhone into Do Not Disturb mode for meeting and naps without even looking for my iPhone and I haven't missed a call here since we arrived because the watch vibrates which I can always feel even when I'm riding my motor bike. I can even answer the call without taking off my helmet but I usually just send a reply message to call back later.
So I'm very happy with my purchase as I'm sure you can tell and will add more to this post if something else comes to mind.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A very helpful and comprehensive series of posts, Rod, for those who have or are contemplating getting the new Apple Watch.

I'm not in that category, but I do enjoy reading about the device.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Well I continue to be impressed with my Apple Watch.

It's nice to read some positive comments and some of the features that are so useful to you, and I gather yours didn't get bricked with the recent update that affected so many, or was that just specific to some of the latest series 4 models?

- Patrick
======

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, it seems it was limited to the series 4. Just another one of the advantages of not buying the latest cutting edge device. I suppose the same could be said about the latest macOS or indeed any new tech. Better to get the previous model or version that has already been de bugged, road tested and proven reliable.
I'm just about ready to upgrade my iPhone 7 to the iPhone 8 :Mischievous:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's really just a matter of life span. My battery is down to 86% of new capacity so it's either a new phone or a new battery. Mind you I usually buy my next iPhone model as second hand. It's easy enough to pick up a good one here in Bali if you know where to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This little watch continues to surprise me. It gives you the option to reply to text messages and I have simply chosen pre installed responses in the past or dictated a response but yesterday I noticed the little symbol which I realised was a keyboard icon in a sort of diagonal position. So I selected that and was presented with a sort of grey box with a space button at the bottom. So I drew a vertical line on the screen with my finger and an "I" appeared in a text line at the top. Call me simple but I was amazed. I found I could draw letters almost as fast as writing and they are converted to text in the reply line above, including full stops.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm sure I saw this option at some time but did not realize what it was for, probably in the first week or so when I was busy setting up all the other features and meant to get back to it but didn't until yesterday. It just goes to show it's good to check out the "Hidden Features" type articles that abound on the web. It can take a long time to discover them all on your own.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is one thing that puzzles me though:
I definitely did not like the "Honeycomb" app view. So one day when I had accessed the grid view by pressing the crown I tried force touch (I try force touch on everything just to see what happens) and to my delight discovered I could change to list view. What puzzles me is that the App Layout preference in the iPhone Apple Watch app remains on the "Honeycomb" view. I though I would be able to change layout on the iPhone watch app or that at least the iPhone app would reflect my choice on the watch but no.
Is this a glitch or have I overlooked something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
There is one thing that puzzles me though:
I definitely did not like the "Honeycomb" app view. So one day when I had accessed the grid view by pressing the crown I tried force touch (I try force touch on everything just to see what happens) and to my delight discovered I could change to list view. What puzzles me is that the App Layout preference in the iPhone Apple Watch app remains on the "Honeycomb" view. I though I would be able to change layout on the iPhone watch app or that at least the iPhone app would reflect my choice on the watch but no.
Is this a glitch or have I overlooked something?

No glitch that I am aware of. At least I have never figured out how to change it. I love the list view on my Apple Watch. I have slept with mine but decided there was really had nothing exciting to see in the data - sleep deep, get up every 2-3 hours to go to the bathroom, back to deep sleep - not exciting. I do swim with mine to keep track of my time and laps.

Lisa

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I finally summed up the courage to swim with mine last week. I did clear the water twice just to be sure though.
I'm using the Pillow app to monitor sleep because I used to snore a lot but that seems to have resolved. After monitoring for a couple of months i gave up. I get about 7 hrs with quality 85-95%. Not much to see there.
Glad you like yours. I'm loving mine.
PS. I don't get up for toilet at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
- sleep deep, get up every 2-3 hours to go to the bathroom, back to deep sleep -
PS. I don't get up for toilet at all.

I think I'll just let the Medical Doctor members reply or comment to these comments in case there may be a medical condition for either case or situation. ;D

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Trying to get back to the thread...

The iPhone app for the  watch shows a list view when I tap on "My Watch" and scroll down. The layout screen on the iPhone shows the honeycomb because that display is where you can move icons around easier than trying to do that on the  watch itself. The list view on the  watch is always alphabetical and pretty much matches the "Installed On Watch" list on My Watch.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.