• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

The Apple Store is now just called Apple — and I'm two years late …

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Well yes, I'm two years late but just discovered that Apple stopped calling their Apple Stores apple stores two years ago…

They are not and haven't bee called an Apple Store for two years.

OK, in defense we don't have any close by and without taking an expensive all day ferry trip to get to one.

The Apple Store is now just called Apple X

It's a store, but not a Store, you see. And it's official.

Yeah, right!!! I guess. Who knew???

https://www.theverge.com/2016/8/19/12537840/apple-store-rebranding

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
news to me as well. Not the biggest fan of being in a busy Apple Store. Opps, Apple, uh, Apple. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ahh well...laptop computers aren't supposed to be call "laptops" either...they're supposed to be called "notebooks" or "portable" computer. I still prefer "laptop".;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Too bad, it's hard to explain to someone, to just go to the Apple nearest to you?

OP
pm-r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh well...laptop computers aren't supposed to be call "laptops" either...they're supposed to be called "notebooks" or "portable" computer. I still prefer "laptop".;)
- Nick

Hmmm…??? the last time I referred to an Apple portable as a "notebooks" or whatever it was I used, not that long ago, I got blasted here and was corrected that they should be referred to as "laptops", apparently I was told, Apple's official terminology.

- Patrick
======

OP
pm-r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too bad, it's hard to explain to someone, to just go to the Apple nearest to you?

+1!!!

Unfortunately that seems to be the way of Apple's "logical thinking" these days, if one can even call it that, and as if nothing else apple-wordwise even existed.

Besides Yelp using the "wrong phrase" for your Pawtucket area: https://www.yelp.ca/search?find_desc=apple+store&find_loc=Pawtucket,+RI
at least people would understand better than Apple's own "proper store name": Apple Providence Place
Honest: https://www.apple.com/retail/providenceplace/

Talk about being pretentious!!! Gheese!!!

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm…??? the last time I referred to an Apple portable as a "notebooks" or whatever it was I used, not that long ago, I got blasted here and was corrected that they should be referred to as "laptops", apparently I was told, Apple's official terminology.

Not sure exactly who did the blasting...but Apple started calling "laptops"..."notebooks" years & years ago.

Anyone can go to Apple.com right now...and go to the MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, or MacBook areas...and the term "Notebook" is easily found:

Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 7.31.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 7.22.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 7.24.07 PM.png

- Nick

OP
pm-r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anyone can go to Apple.com right now…and go to the MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, or MacBook areas...and the term "Notebook" is easily found:

Thanks Nick, and that was my understanding as well as to the correct Mac portable terminology.

At least I don't have any possibly confusing localized AppleStoreName to worry or be concerned about.

- Patrick
======

OP
pm-r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
news to me as well. Not the biggest fan of being in a busy Apple Store. Opps, Apple, uh, Apple. :)

Well Groove, if you were to need to go to one for your area, it looks like you'll find them listed as:
Apple Sherway Gardens
Apple Eaton Centre

Sounds almost like some gardening nurseries to me. :Smirk:

Actually they all look pretty stark and minimally barren to me and hardly a seat to be found, so I trust I'd be able to take my walker if I were even to visit one, God only knows why, so I could at least sit down.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
I’ve tended to go to the Eaton center one, as I live right downtown Toronto. Sherway is way out in the boonies, as is Yorkdale.

When I think about it, it actually makes sense. If you go to Walmart, not that I do... but you don’t say I’m going to the Walmart store. You say I’m going to Walmart. Insert any other store. But it still sounds odd since we’ve called it the Apple store all this time.

I don’t like this change, as I don’t like kids on my lawn, and I don’t know why I keep waking up at 5am now. If I’m this cranky at 53 this doesn’t bode well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I don't bother going to the Apple. 500 klm (300 miles) each way!

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Not sure exactly who did the blasting...but Apple started calling "laptops"..."notebooks" years & years ago.

Anyone can go to Apple.com right now...and go to the MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, or MacBook areas...and the term "Notebook" is easily found:

- Nick

And there's a very good reason why they do call them Notebooks. Most, can't swear all, Notebooks have their exit vents pointing downwards and to allow for the free exit of hot air, there needs to be a gap underneath the Notebook.

This is provided by small "buttons" which allow it to be rested on a table or similar.

If the user were to keep their Notebook on their lap or on a cushion or, worst of all, on top of the bedclothes, then the Notebook could overheat.

Ian

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And there's a very good reason why they do call them Notebooks. Most, can't swear all, Notebooks have their exit vents pointing downwards and to allow for the free exit of hot air, there needs to be a gap underneath the Notebook.

Glad you mentioned this Ian. I was going to mention it above...but didn't.:)

I'm sure myself and a lot of other portable computer users use their portable computer on their lap. Why??...because your lap is the perfect place to place the computer when using it. If your seated in a chair or a sofa...your lap is the perfect place for that portable computer to be palced.:)

Guess what happened when Apple switched from calling portable computers "laptops" to "notebooks"...nothing. Folks didn't suddenly stop putting thier laptops on their laps. Users didn't say to themselves..."OH MY GOD...what am I thinking putting my "notebook" computer on my lap. Gonna go to jail." lol

I think the main reason Apple (or the portable computer industry as a whole) switched from the term "laptop" to "notebook"...is they got "snooty".;) "Notebook" has a much more refined and less "pedestrian" sound to it. Go to any college/university campus...and you're going to see lots & lots of "laptop" computer use.:)

Of course totally agree with what you said...notebook/laptop computers placed on non-flat/hard surfaces can potentially block or reduce the proper flow of cooling air. And when notebook/laptop computers get warm/hot...it can be uncomfortable on your lap. But I and others still do it. Your lap (in many situations) is the perfect place for your portable computer when there's no flat surface around...or you just want to kick back & relax in a semi-reclined position on some squishy-comfortable furniture!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
makes me think of used cars. you cant buy used cars anymore. it changed years ago... their "pre-owned" now. all marketing gimmicks. lol.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
makes me think of used cars. you cant buy used cars anymore. it changed years ago... their "pre-owned" now. all marketing gimmicks. lol.

Yeah...on the surface the term "pre-owned" or "certified pre-owned" does seem sort of ridiculous. After all...usually pretty easy to tell the difference between a new car and a used car! lol

All part of the "politically correct" culture. After all...we don't want to hurt the feelings of used cars everywhere. Used cars don't want to be thought of as "used"...they want to be thought of as "pre-owned"!;)

But if a place does things right..."certified pre-owned" is supposed to mean something:

"Most often late-model, they differ from other used cars by having been inspected, refurbished, and certified by a manufacturer or other certifying authority. They also typically include an extended warranty, special financing, and additional benefits."

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
certified pre-owned costs more usually than pre-owned I found out. Make the words sound better, ask for more money. lol

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
certified pre-owned costs more usually than pre-owned I found out. Make the words sound better, ask for more money. lol

Yes. I guess the certified pre-owned inspection is supposed to take the place of having a used car inspected by your own mechanic before purchasing. In the certified pre-owned scenario...the place doing the inspection & the place selling the car are generally the same place. Which of course is not always good...since it's not independent.

But maybe it's better than nothing...since few used car buyers have a used car they are thinking of buying inspected professionally before purchase.

- Nick

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I'm assuming the UK and US humour is similar in recognising that a word may have two meanings: it's not always the car that needs to be certified, it's just as often the second-hand-car sales person.:)

Ian

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm assuming the UK and US humour is similar in recognising that a word may have two meanings: it's not always the car that needs to be certified, it's just as often the second-hand-car sales person.:)

Yes sir..."certified" can have multiple meanings in the US too!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I eat Apple for lunch. :yum:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.