Apple Watch Series 1 - compatible chargers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Late 2011 13", Time capsule, iPhone 6+, iPhone XS
So is the Series 1 Apple Watch using QI charging so that any third party qi charger works, or does it use some proprietary charging technique?

If the first, then which third party charging plates works with Apple Watch series 1? I´m looking for a charging plate were I can just put down the watch on. Preferably a third party one so that the price won't be too high?

Any ideas which chargers works with the series 1?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Series 1 & 2 are not using third party chargers. Series 3 supports a number of third party chargers. You'll have to stick with the Apple version for Series 1. Amazon has the charger for $26.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Series 1 & 2 are not using third party chargers. Series 3 supports a number of third party chargers. You'll have to stick with the Apple version for Series 1. Amazon has the charger for $26.

Thanks, but your linked charger is just the original charger for Apple Watch, that one I've already own. Like I write in my first post i´m looking for a charging plate, i.e. one of the bigger round wireless chargers which are placed on the table and on which you can simply lay down your Apple Watch on.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Thanks for the links, yes some of them seems interesting, even though most seems to be the type were you put your original charger inside the third-party desktop charger base. But I think I saw a few that were actually complete third-party chargers. Yes im looking for something like some of those, a bigger charger which sits on the table.

So surely there must be third-party chargers for Apple Watch series 1 even if it is not using the QI protocol? The Chinese always manufactures third-party accessories for all new items that hits the market. And proprietary items hasn't stopped them yet (in most cases).

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Thanks, but your linked charger is just the original charger for Apple Watch, that one I've already own. Like I write in my first post i´m looking for a charging plate, i.e. one of the bigger round wireless chargers which are placed on the table and on which you can simply lay down your Apple Watch on.

Perhaps you missed the part in the post where I said that Series 1 and 2 don't support 3rd party chargers. You can put the regular charger on a flat stand or any other stand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Perhaps you missed the part in the post where I said that Series 1 and 2 don't support 3rd party chargers. You can put the regular charger on a flat stand or any other stand.

Maybe I'm missing something or just not understanding this iWatch charging thing, but some of these non-apple chargers seem to work with all series or are they using or accommodating the "regular charger"???
https://9to5mac.com/2018/03/14/best-charging-docks-stands-for-apple-watch/

- Patrick
======

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Okay, so why are for example Amazon advertising third party MFI certified charging cables, then there should be third party charging plates and desktop stands as well? If third parties can build it looking like the original charger puck then they should be able to build a desktop type charger as well?

For example this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071YH4C8S/

Also it seems Apple themselves has made a plate style charger for the Apple Watch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
So is the Series 1 Apple Watch using QI charging so that any third party qi charger works, or does it use some proprietary charging technique?
Nope, not QI. I'm pretty sure it's proprietary.

If the first, then which third party charging plates works with Apple Watch series 1? I´m looking for a charging plate were I can just put down the watch on. Preferably a third party one so that the price won't be too high?
There are third party stands, but none I know that lie flat. Most seem to be designed to hold the watch up so you can see it. Presumably from bed, as they are generally advertised as beside stands.

Any ideas which chargers works with the series 1?
Lots of them. But the only one I know that lies flat is Apple's own charger. But you seem to have done some searching already, based on your posts.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.