What is using up all my memory

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
What Jake said I really must learn to type faster. lol

Whoa…Slydude!!!! You mean you're not using your Mac OS's dictation???

I've been trying it out at times, and it's sort of fun but I'm a long way from mastering it and making it actually faster than my finger pecking typing!! :Smirk:

Then I forget to use it and fall back into old slow finger pecking typing habits.

- Patrick
======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Whoa…Slydude!!!! You mean you're not using your Mac OS's dictation???

I've been trying it out at times, and it's sort of fun but I'm a long way from mastering it and making it actually faster than my finger pecking typing!! :Smirk:

Then I forget to use it and fall back into old slow finger pecking typing habits.

- Patrick
======
Same here.

I've been using the Dragon program from Nuance though. I'll admit though it's getting harder and harder to justify the cost of that program though. I'm not using nearly all of the features I could be with that program.

I tried the built-in dictation shortly after it was introduced. IIRC, at the time it depended upon sending information over the internet for processing. I didn't want to do that at the time and our net was a bit wonky. Think I am going to experiment with it some more this summer.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
In the meantime I just leave Backup Automatically unticked on Time Machine Preferences. I checked my Macintosh HD via Terminal and found one Time Machine Snapshot but there were three CCC snapshots. I have since adjusted the frequency and the duration time to keep CCC snapshots which I should mention could be very handy for a restore should I need to reverse something accidental.
Clicking on the Macintosh HD in the sidebar of CCC gives you a range of options for snapshots, including turning them off.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP macOS Big Sur....iPad Air 2 64gB....iPhone 8+
Definition of CCC?

In the meantime I just leave Backup Automatically unticked on Time Machine Preferences. I checked my Macintosh HD via Terminal and found one Time Machine Snapshot but there were three CCC snapshots. I have since adjusted the frequency and the duration time to keep CCC snapshots which I should mention could be very handy for a restore should I need to reverse something accidental.
Clicking on the Macintosh HD in the sidebar of CCC gives you a range of options for snapshots, including turning them off.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks everyone. I now have available 99.44 GB (1.47 GB purgeable)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
CCC= Carbon Copy Cloner, a third-party backup program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Same here.

I've been using the Dragon program from Nuance though. I'll admit though it's getting harder and harder to justify the cost of that program though. I'm not using nearly all of the features I could be with that program.

I tried the built-in dictation shortly after it was introduced. IIRC, at the time it depended upon sending information over the internet for processing. I didn't want to do that at the time and our net was a bit wonky. Think I am going to experiment with it some more this summer.
Do you know if Dragon, does not connect over the internet, while you're speaking?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Since Time Machine makes hourly, daily, and weekly backups, that explains why there are so many of them. I am also assuming, like iOS, you are notified every two weeks, that a backup hasn't been performed.

Hourly backups = 24
Daily backups = 14
Weekly backups = 2

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Again, Carbon Copy Cloner (when using APFS) can now do everything that Time Machine does. No, it's not free like Time Machine, but in my opinion it's more reliable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Do you know if Dragon, does not connect over the internet, while you're speaking?

OT, but…

I don't believe it does and BTW; Mac OS X's Dictation allows "offline use and continuous dictation" as long as the Dictation & Speech pref pane "Use Enhanced Dictation" has been checked.
Doing so downloads a lot of extras to allow it to work. I'm not sure of the actual size it takes up.

PS: It seems that the Enhanced Dictation uses 1.2GB of drive space if it has been enabled:
How to Remove the Enhanced Dictation 1.2GB Pack from Mac
http://osxdaily.com/2016/11/23/remove-enhanced-dictation-mac/

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You are correct Patrick Dragon does not use the Internet for dictation on the Mac. In fact, their site says the following about internet connections
  • An Internet connection for product download, automatic product activation (a quick anonymous process) and access to online help
I don't remember if they want access to your contacts for some functions but I think it does. I'm finding it hard to justify the $150.00 or so upgrade price. $300 new if I am not mistaken. Especially when compared to the cost of similar Windows versions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Wow! That's a lot of local snapshots!

OK, lets remove them: Follow my terminal command below. Copy it exactly, and run it from terminal. If it asks for your Admin password, go ahead and enter it. Your password will not appear. Let me know.....

This is the command: (Make sure you copy it exactly)

tmutil listlocalsnapshotdates / |grep 20|while read f; do tmutil deletelocalsnapshots $f; done

After running the command, exit the terminal, reboot, and then check your free space again. Let us know.

Going to revive an older thread here.

I've ben ripping some video (ok a LOT of video) from DVDs with Handbrake as of late. I had a bunch on an external drive that I had ripped on my laptop while I was out of town. I pulled the m4v files over, used MetaZ to tag them and then uploaded them to anther external drive for permanent storage. Low and behold my available disc space ran quickly down fro 400+ GB to a bit over 200Gb with a noticeable system slowdown as well. After looking on the web and finding bupkis (except ads for CleanMyMac 3) I turned to the old reliable Mac Forums and upon doing a search found this thread.

Just ran your suggestions above Charlie (Latest version of Mojave) and BAM! Recovered almost 400Gb of HDD space!

I turned off auto backup inTM while I continue to work with the m4v files, but this little trick just got me fully half my HDD back! FYI, this is on a Late 2012 27 Inch iMac with 1 TB 5400rpm HDD.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey there baggss great to hear from ya. Nice to see that familiar avatar & "Margaritaville" location!;)

Also awesome Charlie's post helped!!!:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Always good to see an old forum friend again. Hey baggss, don't be a stranger, and I'm glad that our post about local snapshot removal helped you to get back all that space. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
To expand more on this topic:

I noticed that Handbrake tends to look in the hidden "Volumes" folder by default when looking for media. In that same folder is another hidden folder named "Time Machine Local Snapshots". Thats interesting enough but I also discovered that Cocktail has the ability to allow the user to completely remove or "trim" the same snapshots pretty easily. Definitely something learned here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
You can also remove them with tmutil. Open terminal and "man tmutil" for details. I don't have or use Cocktail, but I have used tmutil once or twice.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reserection
I am having purgeable issues again and have done what I did in the past but I'm not having the same luck.
This is what comes up when I request the volumes:Macintosh-001ff34e9923:~ robertgater$ sudo tmutil listlocalsnapshots /Volumes/
Password:
com.apple.TimeMachine.2019-02-06-062955 (dataless)
com.apple.TimeMachine.2019-02-07-211236 (dataless)
com.apple.TimeMachine.2019-02-27-081749
Macintosh-001ff34e9923:~ robertgater$

When I attempt to clear them it clears the last one (I think) but I am still at 68 GB purgeable. Any help would be awesome

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
tmutil listlocalsnapshotdates / |grep 20|while read f; do tmutil deletelocalsnapshots $f; done

This is what I used to try and clear the volume

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.