"Webpage using significant energy"

Reaction score
I got this warning pop up that the webpage Im reading is using too much energy and directs me to close by "clicking on the X" ?.... I did not click on that X as it might be another ploy to agree to what this malware?command is wanting me to do... my MBP has been held and locked by somebody from India in the past using a look alike Apple Customer Support...I just had the present of mind to call our local Apple Customer Support which is a different 800 number from the Indian Apple Customer support who helped me got out of that ransomeware from India..
I need help on knowing if this pop up warning is legitimate and if not how do I get rid of this...I have Onyx, Malwarebytes, Ghostery and Adblock in my MBP..
thanks for your help.

Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 10.11.35 AM.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Never heard of that warning before. Since you mentioned possible "ransomeware"...that would be my guess too.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Never heard of that warning before. Since you mentioned possible "ransomeware"...that would be my guess too.

- Nick

Ditto!!

That would sure be some sneaky method to evoke when someone's browsing a competitor's site for a similar competing product!!! :Evil:

EDIT:
It seems it's not new for some users and also may depend on what Mac or iDevice is being used at some sites according to these hits:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...F-8&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=N_rQWpmLO83T8AeEiaKQDg

https://forums.imore.com/site-feedb...eloaded-because-using-significant-memory.html
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8353302

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What browser are you seeing this message in? A message regarding energy usage is definitely available on the battery indicator.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Also, look at the settings for AdBlock Plus and Ghostery. What are you blocking? I block everything on both apps. Also, what site is using this much energy?

OP
greyzland
Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies...I've perused all the the suggestions from Google and other discussions of the issue and many are beyond my digital literacy... my MBP works for now so I will see how far until all energy will be lost or consumed.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I get a similar message but the warning is about memory use, not energy. I see it when streaming MLBtv in full screen. I have dual monitors, and Activity Monitor doesn't show memory pressure as high, so I ignore it. I have Ghostery and Adblock, plus Malwarebytes, and there is nothing suspicious on my system, according to them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all your replies...I've perused all the the suggestions from Google and other discussions of the issue and many are beyond my digital literacy... my MBP works for now so I will see how far until all energy will be lost or consumed.....

If there are still some signs of the "warning", try shutting down, wait 40± seconds then boot up again.

Doing so should purge some surplus unneeded files etc.

Don't just restart, it doesn't do the same cleansing.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's a message from Safari. I got the warning about too much memory, switched to Opera and watched the same stream, no message. Nothing nefarious, just a warning from Safari that the website is beyond some threshold of power/memory/whatever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's a message from Safari. I got the warning about too much memory, switched to Opera and watched the same stream, no message. Nothing nefarious, just a warning from Safari that the website is beyond some threshold of power/memory/whatever. Just started for me, but I see posts back to 2017 at Apple.com.

UPDATE: Not sure why it repeated this post in two versions. Oh, well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
UPDATE: Not sure why it repeated this post in two versions. Oh, well.

Maybe to help save memory usage by distributing the post to separate areas??? :Blushing:

PS: What OS or Safari version were you using when you got the memory usage message.

PPS: There seem to be a few p'd off users concerning the Safari memory usage message with just a quick web search, ie:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8111881

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Patrick, let me describe my system here. I have a mid-2015 MBPr with 16 GB of memory, and a 960GB SSD. I am on macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and Safari 11.1. All my software is up to date with whatever updates Apple offers. I have internet speed of about 250mbps and use a wired Ethernet for connection to a Netgear Orbi mesh router. I use a second monitor, an Apple Thunderbolt display and an Apple 4G TV to feed my television. So, what I do is get the stream started, put it up as full screen on the TB monitor, then use AirPlay to throw it to the AppleTV and then to my television. Works well with all those speedy connections.

Where I see the message on is mlbtv.com, where I stream baseball games from out of town. I put Activity Monitor on the MBP screen and monitored the memory used in this setup. When I get the message about the page using significant memory, the Memory Pressure is green and there is zero Swap used. Memory Used does creep up to about 14GB of the 16GB, but never do I see pressure going anywhere up at all. Usually in the low green area.

So, my theory on the message is that somehow Safari is monitoring how much memory it is using and doing the report even if the system is experiencing no impacts at all. In searching for the error, you don't find many hits, but one common one is that Safari will reload a page if it's using too much memory. I don't see reloading, just the warning about using significant memory.

BTW, my setup does drive the GPU pretty hard, and the fans start to move up in speed, but again, no warning messages on that and no graphics glitches. Just the warning message across the top of the screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
Webpage using significant energy? I've been using computers a long time. never seen that one before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Jake
So, my theory on the message is that somehow Safari is monitoring how much memory it is using and doing the report even if the system is experiencing no impacts at all.

Thanks for all the info and it would be sorta nice for the users if Apple could at least let some them know WTH they are actually doing or displaying, or whatever.

Maybe it another "feature" they like to add to their OS's list.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Reaction score
It's not you it's MacOSX

I got this warning pop up that the webpage Im reading is using too much energy and directs me to close by "clicking on the X" ?.... I did not click on that X as it might be another ploy to agree to what this malware?command is wanting me to do... my MBP has been held and locked by somebody from India in the past using a look alike Apple Customer Support...I just had the present of mind to call our local Apple Customer Support which is a different 800 number from the Indian Apple Customer support who helped me got out of that ransomeware from India..
I need help on knowing if this pop up warning is legitimate and if not how do I get rid of this...I have Onyx, Malwarebytes, Ghostery and Adblock in my MBP..
thanks for your help.

So after suffering this problem for the past 12 months I believe I finally know what is going on. It's not the browser, it's the system and how it uses or doesn't fully support OpenGL which some websites still use. OpenGL handles the graphics on the computer in particular games and videos.

The OpenGL deprecation

Apple's developer documentation advised that active development has ceased for OpenGL and OpenCL on the Mac, and that the APIs will only get "minor changes" going forward.

"Apps built using OpenGL and OpenCL will continue to run in macOS 10.14, but these legacy technologies are deprecated in macOS 10.14. Games and graphics-intensive apps that use OpenGL should now adopt Metal. Similarly, apps that use OpenCL for computational tasks should now adopt Metal and Metal Performance Shaders," the company noted.

In software, "deprecation" means that a feature has been superseded and that while the old version should still work for the time being, it's advised to stop using it moving forward and to prepare for a future where it is removed entirely.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Except websites don't use OpenGL, but rather WebGL if they want to utilize the GPU for graphics. So not sure this is related.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.