no date files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP15' Intel i7-2.7GHz, 16Gb, NVIDIA GeForceGT
I have just opened files in mac os word, saved them and tried to find them in a folder sorted by date modified. Seems like they get no date on them instead of todays date.

I've seen this in other situations, how can I default all files to exact date time stamp?

new to mac os, Yosemite 10.10.5, MBPro 15" 16gb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Welcome to the forum.
Seems like they get no date on them instead of todays date.
Really? NO date at all, either Created or Modified? What version of Word? In Finder, if you view in List mode, right click on the column header you can select what date to show. All files should have a Date Created, and I've never seen one that didn't. When you say you've seen this before, can you give the circumstances for that?

OP
kd929
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP15' Intel i7-2.7GHz, 16Gb, NVIDIA GeForceGT
Thx for reply, now I can't find them but

I have just opened files in mac os word, saved them and tried to find them in a folder sorted by date modified. Seems like they get no date on them instead of todays date.

I've seen this in other situations, how can I default all files to exact date time stamp?

new to mac os, Yosemite 10.10.5, MBPro 15" 16gb

============================
Thank you MacInWin,
I can't find them now, still getting used to the finder but when selecting get info, and seeing the panal file created and file modified said No Date, could that be an intermediary step before a date get's put on them? Anyway I'll take a screen shot when I see it again because I've seen it before and never knew how to figure it out.

MS Word for Mac 2011, kindof old I guess. Anyway I'll keep my eyes out for finding them again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick, I won't go to Google for anything and when I use Duck Duck Go to search for "Mac files no date" I get nothing but this thread we are in. So, can you post a link that you found at Google that points to some real instance? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick, I won't go to Google for anything and when I use Duck Duck Go to search for "Mac files no date" I get nothing but this thread we are in. So, can you post a link that you found at Google that points to some real instance? Thanks!

And that is about the main reason I don't bother using Duck Duck Go as in never produced much if any productive results for any searches I did!!!

So here are some random URL from the google search in no particular order along with maybe a key sentence to look at for reference:

"Date Last Opened" not updating when opening Office 2011 files in Yosemite
https://origin-discussions-us.apple.com/thread/6622260

Note that some applications (e.g., MS Office) do not let you change the Auto-arrange setting.
https://apple.stackexchange.com/que...-under-no-date-when-sorting-by-date-in-finder

'no date' issue in OSX
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6501796

PS: I can't see it showing now but in some of the hit's summaries I noticed there was some reference made to MS Word and its option as to how the file date was shown or hidden. I don't use Word much and I don't know what they're talking about, and besides I still only use MS Word '08 if and when really needed. It's not often as it remains in my OS X SL partition!! :Smirk:

PPS: The OP's comment is interesting and I'm wondering if the problem exists with other normal apps like TextEdit or Preview for example considering their statement:

PPPS: Also, what options are set to display or not in the folder's "View Options"?????

This is where some screen shots could possibly help if the user isn't sure.

PPPPS: And is their Date & Time System Prefs set properly??? VERY important!!!

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, Patrick. Duck Duck Go found all of those, and many more, but most of them referred to NO date being there, just how to change the date or seeing an incorrect date. The Apple discussion thread was from Mavericks, quite a few versions ago. I've never heard of a file having NO date unless it came from a system (Windows) that didn't assign a date for one or more of the dates that OSX/macOS tracks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
but most of them referred to NO date being there, just how to change the date or seeing an incorrect date.

Isn't that the same problem the OP has:
in a folder sorted by date modified. Seems like they get no date on them instead of todays date.

The only time I've ever seen a file/folder without any date was maybe 20+ years ago and in System 9 ? and with some very inexperienced Mac user mucking around with a utility that might have been FileTyper or something similar.

BTW: I'm not actually clear if the OP's missing dates files involved are still without any date, of if their dating was just delayed somewhat and are now showing??? :Confused:

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Could be almost anything, and as you say, I've never seen a NO date file. And that's why I asked what I did in Post #2. In Post #3, the OP said,
I can't find them now, still getting used to the finder but when selecting get info, and seeing the panal file created and file modified said No Date, could that be an intermediary step before a date get's put on them?
I've never seen any delay in assigning a date as it's stored as part of the metadata about the file when the file is created/modified. But now I'm not certain how the OP is checking for dates, what view of Finder is being used. I use the List view 99% of the time, and that's where I see the dates. Icon view doesn't have dates, nor does Column view. Dates only show in List or Cover Flow. The OP talked about using Get Info to see the date, which to me sort of implies he's in icon or column view. But until we know, we don't know, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But until we know, we don't know, right?

Quite right.

Now it's my time for a nice glass of my U-Brew dry red wine. Quit nice. :Cool:

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
"No Date"

Having this same issue. 2014 27" w/ High Sierra and every once in a while when I download something from chrome it will save under a "No Date" categorization! If I go to look for it in a whatever folder I downloaded it to, when list view is arranged 'by date' I'll have to scroll to the complete bottom of the folder and its listed under "No Date"

With lots of googling I still can't figure out how to fix this. And, as I download and use files all the time it's definitely an annoyance.

Anyone have an update about this??

Screen Shot 2019-01-20 at 12.49.57 AM.png

Quite right.

Now it's my time for a nice glass of my U-Brew dry red wine. Quit nice. :Cool:

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anyone have an update about this??

Have another big glass of wine??? ;D

Seriously, maybe some more googling is required on something like this:
Mac chrome will save under a "No Date" folder
https://www.google.com/search?q=Mac...57j69i64l3.19351j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

OR:
Mac downloads will save under a "No Date" folder
https://www.google.com/search?ei=h6...0......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71.kGe9rGXdc_0

There seem to be lot of users with a similar problem, and maybe a solution somewhere there for you.

I don't know what the "No Date" is all about, but neither do I normally use High Sierra, but I just noticed that many had the problem back with Lion days. But Google Chrome does seem to be involved in many cases.

Maybe try downoading to your Desktop, and then move them with the Finder to where you want.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Haha, wine it is. Thanks for the links.
Have another big glass of wine??? ;D

Seriously, maybe some more googling is required on something like this:
Mac chrome will save under a "No Date" folder
https://www.google.com/search?q=Mac...57j69i64l3.19351j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

OR:
Mac downloads will save under a "No Date" folder
https://www.google.com/search?ei=h6...0......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71.kGe9rGXdc_0

There seem to be lot of users with a similar problem, and maybe a solution somewhere there for you.

I don't know what the "No Date" is all about, but neither do I normally use High Sierra, but I just noticed that many had the problem back with Lion days. But Google Chrome does seem to be involved in many cases.

Maybe try downoading to your Desktop, and then move them with the Finder to where you want.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.