Forum Traffic

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Does the forum software have the ability to report how many visits/posts are made per day (or week, etc.)?
Maybe it's just me, but it seems that traffic is down.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not specifically but we can always go back and count the numbers. But it doesn't take software or a genius to observe that forum traffic is down.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I've never mentioned this before:

for all the years I've been a member here up to the Database crash mid December; it was the case that when you posted to a thread for the first time, you were credited with a +1 to your post count. If you posted another 2 or 3 times to the same thread, that was not added to the post count.

In other words, post counts were added on a thread basis.

Since the recovery of our database, I noticed that every post, irrespective of thread, was added to the post count. Four posts to the same thread added +4 to the count.

So, on 22 December 2017 my post count was 3563 (since 2009). Three months later it stands at 3795. No change in my contribution, such as it is.

I'm not in any way complaining, just making an observation.

And yes, traffic is clearly down. Yet new members join. Which means our core membership is posting less often. This limbo period is disconcerting.

Bottom line: you'll always have my support - whether you like it or not:)O:):Mischievous:

Ian

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
for all the years I've been a member here up to the Database crash mid December; it was the case that when you posted to a thread for the first time, you were credited with a +1 to your post count. If you posted another 2 or 3 times to the same thread, that was not added to the post count.

In other words, post counts were added on a thread basis.

Since the recovery of our database, I noticed that every post, irrespective of thread, was added to the post count. Four posts to the same thread added +4 to the count.

Hello Ian. Our experiences must be different. I've always noticed that every post adds to the total post count (not just +1 for a thread regardless of # of posts in the thread). No way I would have gotten to my post count solely on +1 to the post count total if it were only +1/thread.:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Ian:

Nick is correct. We both have access to the data base thru the Administrative Control Panel and can tell you that it has always been that way.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Thank you Nick and Charlie for your courtesy.

What I described is how I believe I found it at the time; but memory can be deceptive and I'm grateful your confirmation that things were other than I recall.

I think the thing that impressed me was the sudden rise in my post number whilst maintaining my output. From Jan '09 to Jan '18, I averaged 395/year and in the 7 -8 weeks from from 1st Jan '18 to now I've added 235 or so. (equivalent to 1410/year)

Bottom line: who cares? It's a great Forum and neither posts nor points matter. It's a hugely enjoyable experience and I'm privileged to have been part of it. And will be there when the new one starts.

Ian

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agreed Ian. Post count not all that important. I know mine contains a lot of good stuff...and a lot of nonsense.:) Lol

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Agreed Ian. Post count not all that important. I know mine contains a lot of good stuff...and a lot of nonsense.:) Lol

- Nick

May I add a famous quote here?

And that is: "Precious things aren't found in heaps"

IE: Quality doesn't rely or depend on large numbers.

- Patrick
======

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We've always targeted quality over quantity.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27-inch iMac, 3.4 GHz i5, Radeon Pro 570, 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz, 1 TB 7200-rpm
I fear the reason core membership is down is due to Informa's decision to close down the site (and yet keep it open well past the deadline they gave us :Confused:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I fear the reason core membership is down is due to Informa's decision to close down the site (and yet keep it open well past the deadline they gave us :Confused:)

I don't know if the "core membership is down" or not, but the apparent slowdown of posts could be due to users figuring out or fixing their problems on their own or maybe their Apple stuff is just working better for them.

But still a fair number of new members showing up I'd say.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.