best program for designing websites without learning code?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
had dreamweaver years ago. pretty complicated to use. also tried iweb which I didn't care for (its a little outdated now). rapidweaver was ok but not great.

are they any other options? free would be nice, but id consider paid if the cost was reasonable.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Depends on what you are trying to create. A lot of webhosts have their own website builder applications like Squarespace, Wordpress.com and so on. There are also tools (like Rapidweaver) that you would run locally and then upload to your site.

I haven't seen many good free tools out there and long term, it helps to learn the underlying language so that you aren't stuck with a specific tool.

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got a domain on namecheap.com. they have a build in html editor in cpanel, I may just learn and stick with it. been years since I tinkered with this stuff so I wanted to know if their were better options or not. :) thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you have an older copy of iWeb, give that a shot. It still works with High Sierra. :) Although it will likely die when macOS goes 64 bit only.

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have iweb 2.0.4. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
My suggestion would be WordPress. The reason is because I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen someone in the situation where the program they were using suddenly becomes unsupported. There goes the website.

WordPress has more options than most people think, they just need to dig in a lot more to discover just how powerful it can be. The best part is, when or if your theme you either built or bought and customized, you can drop another theme over top and not lose your site.

Just an opinion :)

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I like wordpress. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
If you have an older copy of iWeb, give that a shot.

He said he has it, and tried it (#1 post) with an added disgust comment!!! :Evil:

BTW: A good webpage developer told me years ago to not even consider using the "no coding" apps unless one also had a decent knowledge of coding, but I don't know if that info still applies these days.

I would have thought that some apps should have advanced greatly by now, but maybe they also have a steep learning/usage curve.

- Patrick
======

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
use wordpress and buy a theme or just use dream viewer but you still need to learn little bit codding.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Processor : 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5 Memory : 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz Graphics : Intel Iris 1536 MB Storage
had dreamweaver years ago. pretty complicated to use. also tried iweb which I didn't care for (its a little outdated now). rapidweaver was ok but not great.

are they any other options? free would be nice, but id consider paid if the cost was reasonable.

lol i still use dreamweaver for some tasks, it was my first IDE if you can call it that, now i work with sublime and brackets mostly. However in response to your question... Adobe Dreamweaver. Adobe Dreamweaver is a proprietary web development tool developed by Adobe Systems. ...
Pinegrow Web Editor. ...
BlueGriffon. ...
KompoZer. ...
BLOCS. ...
Cevelop. ...
Sparkle. ...
Flux... im not going to say what is best, because we all want different features out of our IDEs

However i must say, even with all i know of php and javascript and laravel framworks, you can pretty much do most things on WordPress with a page builder without know anything at all.

Reaction score
...are they any other options? free would be nice

I have the PERFECT thing for you!

I don't know why more people don't know about this awesome Web site creation program. It's free (some extended features are only available if you pay for them, but they are extremely specialized), WYSIWYG (but there is a built-in text editor if you choose to work with the raw HTML, and it helps you by allowing you to add HTML commands with one click), easy to use (if you know how to use a word processor you will take to this program quickly), and full featured. It's great for beginners and experienced Web designers alike.

BlueGriffon (free)
http://bluegriffon.org/

Free video tutorial series:
(The tutorial does not use the Mac version of the program, but the program is virtually identical across platforms.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWPj7EGjQt0&list=PLEDA9CB299E1DE0EB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnj6i_ckRp0&list=PLEDA9CB299E1DE0EB
Other free BlueGriffon tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bluegriffon+tutorials

BlueGriffon's user manual is commercial (not free), but it's not necessary if you view the above tutorial.

Now, here's the best thing about BlueGriffon...it can do something that very few other WYSIWYG Web site creation programs can do...it can import existing Web sites in HTML format. Why is that important? Because if you have previously been using a program that is basically a page layout program with an HTML converter on top of it you can only export your existing Web site in either a proprietary format that nothing else can open, or you can export your Web site in HTML format. So, using BlueGriffon you can migrate from any other Web site creation program.

Even better, you can suck down the raw HTML from any existing site on the Web using something like SiteSucker, and use it as a template/starting point for your project. Basically this means that you have access to an unlimited number of free templates!

Some tips for using BlueGriffon:

1. When you first open it, the interface will look terrible. Don't get discouraged. Do this:
BlueGriffon menu --> Preferences --> General tab --> Theme -> enable "Light"
The interface will now look world's better!

2. The sidebar in the program isn't active by default. In the Panels menu choose Style Properties, and you should instantly get a sense of the value of the sidebar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Reaction score
@Randy

Randy, that's nice and good to know even though I don't need it, but I'm confused about it being "FREE" which it doesn't seem to be from a quick glance at his and macupdate's site:
BlueGriffon
Price $88.64usd

You need to ignore MacUpdate and do more than have a quick glance at the Web site that I linked to.

BlueGriffon (free)
http://bluegriffon.org/

BlueGriffon is an open source project. There are three versions, and the basic version is free. Unlike commercial software, the free version isn't a demo, it is a full featured product. The two commercial step up versions add very specialized features strictly for professionals, such as the ability to create EPUB's.

All that you have to do is go to the BlueGriffon Web site and click on "Download" to get the entirely free product. Or you can download it directly from:
http://bluegriffon.org/freshmeat/3.0.1/bluegriffon-3.0.1.mac-x86_64.dmg

Reaction score
Hi, i know a very good place to make or design your very own websites, without having to learn or to do code, just simly go to www.wix.com.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Apple Macbook Air
I'm fond of Wix. It has an easy to use editor and with great support. They have beautiful templates and innovative features and apps. Free plans available but you subscribe from I think less than 5$ per month. You can also check Squarespace and Weebly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I use Wordpress for two sites that I manage. I pay $99 a year each to eliminate ads and that includes our website addresses. Fairly simple for a novice and although without paying extra you are restricted to layouts and fonts, the users seem quite happy and that's the main thing. The secret for an easy life is to go with the defaults (which i found hard to begin with) and learn to love them before you seek to make radical changes.

Reaction score
Wordpress, but I do suggest learn the basic bit by bit of html and css because it will come in handy when you need to tweak some function, but nonetheless if you only want to buy a theme and will input some data. Wordpress the right one I can suggest plus there's a lot of tutorial on youtube about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Apple Macbook Air
If you are searching for a good web design software, I can suggest 3 best website design software to help you get started today. Wix is an easy to use editor with great support, beautiful templates and innovative features and apps. In terms of
a design oriented website builder, Squarespace is capable to provide, plus its' template looks good on all devices. However, if you are looking for a user-friendly editor, Weebly is one of the very user-friendly editor with pre-designed page layouts to help you get started.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.5 GHz Core i7 (I7-7567U) 8 GB of 2133 MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
Since i have some considerable time in web designing i suggest you also learn coding to help you build better website or at-least know what is going on inside your website's main frame but if you still want to go with web designing without learning codes then i would also suggest that you will go with Wix. Or there are other options available online. The easiest platform to work with is wordpress. It is free for beginners and basic web designing, You can easily make a basic website with free templates available on this system. Also when you get more use to it and want to build a professional affiliate related website, you can always chose there more advanced packages. With these packages you can make custom websites with unique design. Also you will get advanced tool for css editing or advanced tools for design. The free advertisement will also be removed from website and you can easily monetize your website when every you want to. Well that it that, if you still want to use other option then Wix is the all-rounder you can go with or squarespace which is more design oriented website builder or finally weebly which is the quickest and easiest, choice is yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.