iPhone data recovery apps?

Reaction score
Long story short, my daughter's phone was inadvertently restored to factory settings.

There are many sites out there which promote software you supposedly can download and recover some of the deleted data. One at random:

https://www.easeus.com/data-recover...-data-after-restoring-to-factory-settings.htm

An Apple rep claimed to know nothing about this. I hear rumors, though, that some of these apps are effective. Any familiarity with these apps? Can anyone give me a recommendation?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There are in fact many apps that claim to be able to recover iPhone data that was erased or lost. I have not had the misfortune to have to use one but can only recommend that you pick one that is either free or has a free trial.

I'm assuming your daughter did not backup her phone to either iTunes or iCloud?

OP
E
Reaction score
After the first time her phone crashed, and we were able to take it someplace and somehow get it working again (the problem being that the memory was jammed full of photos), I suggested several times that we needed to back up her phone on my Mac, but she would insist it wasn't necessary, or else she was going out and didn't have time right then. Maybe it takes a disaster to make the point of how important it is to back up?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I understand. I too have a daughter who just wants things to work and can't be bothered with backing up. Fortunately for her she has dear old Dad to help with each disaster. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Fortunately for her she has dear old Dad to help with each disaster.

Hmmm…??? Maybe some loving "tough love" on the horizon…??? :Smirk:

PS: Was any data being backed up to iCloud that could be rescued and salvaged? Worth checking just in case.

- Patrick
======

OP
E
Reaction score
Not sure about iCloud. The immediate problem to be solved is that she forgot her Apple ID password, so we can't log into the phone. It's stuck on the "welcome" screen. I applied for account recovery, which takes four days, so tomorrow we should hear something. Once we're able to log into the phone again, I'll check on iCloud.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
she forgot her Apple ID password

Did she also forget the answers to the questions that should have been available or as an option to login if and when the password is forgotten???

Maybe try again and see if you have such as option.

- Patrick
======

OP
E
Reaction score
I didn't run across an opportunity to answer such questions. I don't know if she (or her mom) remembers them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't run across an opportunity to answer such questions. I don't know if she (or her mom) remembers them.

They wold usually show up if you clicked the option that "password was forgotten" or similar.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Hi, I happen to work in a software company that develops such kind of data recovery software. Most of them can recover lost data as they claimed they can, but they don't always work that well. And if your daughter has been taking new pictures on its iPhone, then it's possible that the old photos have been overwritten.

OP
E
Reaction score
Indeed. As soon as we solved the Apple ID problem, I ran a recovery app on the phone, but the photos had all been wiped out simply by the accidental clean install of the OS.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Backing up to iCloud is so easy and cheaper in the long run than data retrieval. In future i would suggest that one dollar a month for enough storage to hold her photos and all of her data would be a worthwhile investment and it can backup automatically at night while locked and on charge.
As for the Apple ID password she just needs to go to https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201487 for full instructions. There are a couple of ways to reset your password and this time get her to write it down somewhere. It is a RPITA to reset.
You can tell her all that time she thought she saved by not backing it up when you offered will now be used and more getting her data back.
And even if you do it for her make sure she has to sit by your side for the whole process.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.