Really????? 10 hours....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Maybe you're not getting 80Mbs download speeds or the Apple server is having problems? Also, as the download proceeds that time should diminish rapidly if your speed is constant. I've seen that before when downloading updates from Apple.

OP
N
Reaction score
Well I might have a problem
That download was for my 2012 mac mini with a fusion drive. Its finished now and I reckon it took around 7 hours.
In the meantime I started the same download to our 2010 MacBook Pro. This has a crucial SSD which I fitted. That download took about 15 minutes.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like you might have a broken Fusion drive? Run some health checks on it to find out if it's failing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do not try and install HS under the new APFS, do it under the current HFS. APFS is niot ready for Fusion Drives. There will b e an update for this later on.

With a Fusion Drive I would not be considering HS at this stage.

OP
N
Reaction score
I am getting 78Mbs. No problem with any other downloads.
I ran disc utility and it reports all is OK.
Thanks to Harryb2448. I have now read some articles explaining that the Fusion drive update will come later. So why on earth do Apple allow those machines to download the software as it is now? That implies the machine is ready for the update.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.