can't open new admin account because I'm stuck in auto log in

Reaction score
I was finally able to download and install Sierra upgrade from El Capitan. (See previous thread) My trouble now is that it changed my single user admin account to regular user so I no longer have administrative control of my macbook pro. I found a way to correct the problem by using single user mode with open directory function to enable the root account and provide a password using the passwd command. This allows me to log in by selecting the new root account to change my regular account back to admin, then remove the root account. So I shut down and switched back on to select the root account ...but I have auto log in enabled so it just keeps logging on with the regular account and I can't change it back to manual log in without admin control. I can't unlock anything as long as I do not have admin control and I can't get admin control because I can't unlock the option to take it out of auto log in. Catch 22. Anyone have any thoughts on how I can get out of this situation?

Geronimo Jackson
October 22, 2017

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You should be able to turn automatic login off from the security and privacy panel in system preferences

Reaction score
Let it log in as normal. In the Apple menu select log out, not restart. This will give you a log in screen where you can log in as root.

OP
G
Reaction score
Geronimo Jackson says: I couldn't do anything in preferences because my admin title was changed to regular so the machine keeps auto log on.
This situation was my fault. When I created the new root account the intent was to enter the new admin user name and password. Logging out brought me to a page to enter admin credentials it just keep shaking it's head no. This where I got into trouble, I assumed that since it would not take the info and log me in the fault must be the machine. Wrong! I should have gone back to single user mode and try creating a new admin log in. After reading trying to figure out how to get out of the catch 22 that I was in, it occurred to me am I sure the account I created really was created. So I went back to single user mode and re entered the codes from my cheat sheet (if you should do this procedure the curser does not move when you enter and re enter password. Now that really got me.) then logged out. Entered the new account credentials and it took it I now had admin power again. So every bad thing I said about auto log in I take back. My bad. I went ahead and upgraded to high sierra. Everything is looking good. Except... I am still having trouble with HTML5 replacing flash in safari 11. This problem started when I was using el capitano

Reaction score
HTML5 replacing flash is a GOOD THING. You don't want flash if you can help it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.