High Sierra and 32 bit software

Reaction score
Has anyone had trouble with 32 bit software after updating to High Sierra?
I read somewhere that Apple were going to support 32 bit software on new releases of macOS until 2019. Is that not the case?
Thanks

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
High Sierra still supports 32-bit applications but it is likely to be the mast macOS that does. A quick search will turn up numerous articles such as this one.

Are you having difficulty with specific apps?

OP
N
Reaction score
High Sierra still supports 32-bit applications but it is likely to be the mast macOS that does. A quick search will turn up numerous articles such as this one.

Are you having difficulty with specific apps?

No - not yet! Still deciding whether to install it or not. I use MS Office 2016 and I don't think that is supported by MS for much longer. Plus it's 32 bit.
I also use a WD MyCloud for backups and media storage. I think this is also 32 bit.
I did a chat with Apple support and they were very non-comital. They said it COULD cause problems.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Microsoft Office is probably good for a while longer. I'm still using Office 2011 for the Mac on a High Sierra beta and not having issues. The WD MyCloud should be fine as a drive. Instead of using the MyCloud software to manage backups and media storage other programs can be used.

The phase out of 32 bit support is likely to be somewhat gradual. So far, software that worked under Sierra has also worked under High Sierra assuming that I kept it up to date. There's some software I haven't tested because I rarely use it.

If you have questions about specific apps the Roaring Apps site can be very useful. There are some apps that it doesn't have information on because it depends largely upon user reports but it's a good starting point.

If you need to identify which software on your Mac is 32-bit try this method.

OP
N
Reaction score
Microsoft Office is probably good for a while longer. I'm still using Office 2011 for the Mac on a High Sierra beta and not having issues. The WD MyCloud should be fine as a drive. Instead of using the MyCloud software to manage backups and media storage other programs can be used.

The phase out of 32 bit support is likely to be somewhat gradual. So far, software that worked under Sierra has also worked under High Sierra assuming that I kept it up to date. There's some software I haven't tested because I rarely use it.

If you have questions about specific apps the Roaring Apps site can be very useful. There are some apps that it doesn't have information on because it depends largely upon user reports but it's a good starting point.

If you need to identify which software on your Mac is 32-bit try this method.

Sorry I typed Office 2016 and I meant Office for Mac 2011.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
According to Microsoft, all updates for Office 2011 including security patches have ended as of this October. Microsoft states that they will only support Office 2016 and they have given priority to the subscription version = Office 365.

Your other question about 32 bit apps: They will be supported until the next version of macOS is released, probably sometime in late 2018. We are not sure when Apple will cut off 32 bit apps but it does look like it might be at the end of next year sometime.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.