Apps (VLC and Audacity) don't play audio anymore. Help, please

Reaction score
I tried some tips I found online, but they didn't work..

--

Running
El Capitan on a
Mid-2009 MacBook with
2,13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and
4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

M

MacInWin

So that we don't repeat what you have already done, how about telling us what you have already tried and that happened when you did?

OP
K
Reaction score
So that we don't repeat what you have already done, how about telling us what you have already tried and that happened when you did?
Thank you. Good question. I thought of doing this. Anyhow, English is not my native language and I'm not so tech savvy, so please bare with me if I don't explain it so well.

I checked if I had the right audio device in "Output" < "Sound" < "System Preferences", Audacity and VLC;
I reseted my preferences in VLC; and,
I restarted my laptop and even shut it off completely...

Last edited:
OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for the answer! Great description of what you did.

I'd now try an SMC reset.

I think I did the SMC reset "successfully" because my customised desktop background changed to the standard El Capitan background -- but I still don't have audio on VLC even though I just removed VLC with AppCleaner and reinstalled it.

Do you have any other suggestion..?

M

MacInWin

Do you have any sound from any application, or is it all gone? Any sound if you try a video in a browser?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Also, restart and hold shift down until you get to the login screen or your desktop. This should force the Mac to start up in safe mode.

M

MacInWin

Well, At this point I would uninstall both of them and then get a fresh download and reinstall. Sounds like something in the app(s) gone wonky.

OP
K
Reaction score
Also, restart and hold shift down until you get to the login screen or your desktop. This should force the Mac to start up in safe mode.

Thanks, good tip! I did start up in safe mode and then back to normal, but it didn't help.

OP
K
Reaction score
Well, At this point I would uninstall both of them and then get a fresh download and reinstall. Sounds like something in the app(s) gone wonky.

I did that with VLC actually, and just now with Audacity too, but it didn't help.

OP
K
Reaction score
I can't be the apps -- I even downloaded Elmedia Player and it doesn't play audio.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Tell us about your Mac? Model and year? Anything else connected to it, drives, printers, etc...

OP
K
Reaction score
Tell us about your Mac? Model and year? Anything else connected to it, drives, printers, etc...

I am running
El Capitan on a
Mid-2009 MacBook with
2,13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and
4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
with a
2.1 speaker set by Trust (trust.com/14989) and a
HP L1908w 19-inch Widescreen LCD Monitor [ just so my speakers don't make a buzzing noise :| ]

OP
K
Reaction score
Thank you all..!
Since I installed the app Boom 2 the audio works with VLC..!
We can close the thread now I guess..
<3

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.