Volume/Brightness keys don't function

Reaction score
My MacBook Air just returned from service, and now the function keys that are supposed to control volume up/down/mute and brightness don't work. When I press any of them, I get an error noise and nothing happens. Things I have tried:

Checking/unchecking "use F1, F2, etc keys as standard function keys". Even when checked, pressing 'fn' and function key still doesn't work.
Turning off the shortcut keys for Mission Control (when on, the F10 key will show desktop)
Zapping PRAM
Starting in safe mode
Checked input source is correct (U.S.)
Reset keyboard shortcut settings to default
Unplugged external monitor and mouse
Reset SMC

jumped down, turned around and picked a bail of cotton
Put my right foot in, put my right foot out

You get the picture

All software/OS updates are installed
Running OSX 10.12.5
13" MacBook Air

Would appreciate any help!

Thank you!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your MacBook Air just returned from service and now your function keys are not working? Why are you asking us instead of taking it back where the service was performed? We would love to help you but without knowing all the particulars, it's best to take it back where you had it repaired.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Your MacBook Air just returned from service and now your function keys are not working? Why are you asking us instead of taking it back where the service was performed? We would love to help you but without knowing all the particulars, it's best to take it back where you had it repaired.

+1 !!!

- Patrick
======

OP
C
Reaction score
Great question

Thanks for your reply. The computer in question is my work computer, and I didn't send it out for repair, my IT guy did. Before you ask why I'm not asking him,
I did and he doesn't have a clue, and this isn't a top priority for him, which I guess I can understand. So I have taken it upon myself to see if I can find an answer,
mostly because it is annoying and frustrating. It was sent out because it wouldn't turn on, and it turns out there was water damage. All the components that were affected were replaced.

The keys physically function in the sense that they respond to being pressed. And as I mentioned, when the mission control settings, for example, are set to have F10 show the desktop, it does. All the other keys respond as expected, just the function keys. So it would seem to me that it is a setting or software issue, and not a physical issue with the keys or keyboard. But of course, I'm no expert, which is why I'm here looking for some help.

Is there any additional information I can provide that would prove helpful for any suggestions on what to try to fix the issue?

I would sincerely appreciate any ideas this forum can provide.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I suspect the lack and delay of any additional response here is due to the fact that your problem has already been answered. Plus the fact we now learn of water damage adds to the solution problem.

But as it was sent out and your IT guy is too busy, I'd suggest to contact the original repair people who are familiar with the machine and its problem and see if they can't fix things.

It could be just a loose cable, but I'm just guessing.

Anyway, they are the people to contact and who can hopefully fix things for you. And I don't think there's anything you can do with software to make them work.

The keys physically function in the sense that they respond to being pressed.

But NOT SO if they don't and can't do what they're expected to do and it sounds like that's NOT happening. Or I really missed understanding something. :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks Patrick. I guess I surmised that since the key does "respond" in the sense that it recognizes it is being pressed, that it isn't physical damage. Unfortunately, I have no way to get in touch with the tech who did the repair, only my IT guy can do that.

I've seen in multiple places that this isn't an uncommon problem, and while some of the "simple" solutions seemed to have worked, many have reported that nothing worked, and they either gave up, or installed 3rd party applications (I recall Maestro or something like that), so I'll probably try that. In more than one case I read, it was after a tech worked on their computer and the "fix" was to "remap" the keyboard, but I can't seem to find instructions on how to do that. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. Maybe I'm shooting at the moon, but figured if there was anywhere to try, it was here.

OP
C
Reaction score
Quick update: I was able to get the brightness up/down working. In system preferences:keyboard:shortcuts:displays, brightness up and down were mapped to F14 and F15 (don't have either on my computer). Was able to change that to F1 and F2, now those work. Still trying to find where to assign F9-F11 to the volume functions. Tried to reassign Mission Control show desktop and dashboard to something completely different, in hopes it would "force" the keys to be mapped to volume, but no dice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm actually wounding if either or both a NVRAM and/or SMC Reset might help fix things. Of course some cyst preferences will have to be reset.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204063
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201295

EDIT:
And of course Apple's article which I'm sure you've read:
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204436

or maybe this:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/remap-macs-function-keys-anything-want/

or finally:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=Dp1vWeasPOTe8Afc8LagCg

EDIT II:
Sorry, the suggested Karabiner.app isn't yet supported completely for use with Sierra. (Thank Apple for all their OS changes!!!): :-(

macOS Sierra support status

Karabiner does not work on macOS Sierra at the moment.

We are developing Karabiner-Elements which provides simple key modification for macOS Sierra at first.
(Karabiner-Elements works well on macOS Sierra. We are working on fixing several remaining issues.)

We'll start updating for the full featured Karabiner for Sierra after Karabiner-Elements is completed.

https://github.com/tekezo/Karabiner-Elements/blob/master/README.md

https://pqrs.org/osx/karabiner/

The Karabiner-Elements does work as an interim solution.
https://github.com/tekezo/Karabiner-Elements/blob/master/README.md

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
OP
C
Reaction score
Yes, tried all that and unfortunately none of them seemed to work. I connected a bluetooth keyboard to it and the F keys work as expected on the bluetooth keyboard, so I guess it is a hardware issue (but I'm stubborn and not convinced). Anyway, appreciate all the suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, tried all that and unfortunately none of them seemed to work.

Oh well. Sorry they didn't work and I guess either the water or broken connections are the cause.

BTW: Did those key work before the 13" MacBook Air was worked on by the "tech"??? If, so, I'd doubt that any water was to blame. :Mischievous:

- Patrick
======

OP
C
Reaction score
Yes, they did work before the spill. I've seen lots of people indicate the same issue happened to them when they upgraded to Sierra. My wife has the exact same computer and I checked, all my settings are the same as her's, but in Keyboard preferences, she doesn't have either a display or input sources under "shortcuts", which I thought was kind of weird.

And so it goes...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, they did work before the spill. I've seen lots of people indicate the same issue happened to them when they upgraded to Sierra.

Just to check, do you have a pre-Sierra bootable backup or some other pre-Sierra bootable source you could use and see if that changes anything.

But I'm a bit confused about the pre and after spill as to things working and was the spill the reason the Mac was sent for repairs??

- Patrick
======

OP
C
Reaction score
File this under "interesting to know". I installed a trial of "Bettertouchtool" and I was able to map the Fn keys to do exactly what they are meant to do. I can even change the functions if I want. It is really easy to use, and is free for 45 days. After that, it is only $6.99. So I'll keep trying it for the next month and see if it is worth buying. Hope that helps anyone who comes around and has the same issue.

Still makes me think it isn't a hardware issue...

OP
C
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don't have a pre-sierra boot disc, but I do have a sierra boot disc from another computer that I could try, just for fun.

Things were working fine pre-spill. After the spill, the computer turned off and wouldn't turn on, which yes, is why it went in for repairs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I have found, some times, multiple SMC or NVRAM resets may be needed to get things to work correctly. Maybe try them multiple times, again?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have found, some times, multiple SMC or NVRAM resets may be needed to get things to work correctly. Maybe try them multiple times, again?

+1 !!!

Yup. ;D

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
@ChrisMacuser have you managed to find an alternative solution instead of BetterTouchTool? I have an identical scenario and it is highly frustrating; however BetterTouchTool is working very nicely so far.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.