iPod Advice

Reaction score
I am hoping for a bit of advice please.My wife's Zen, which she uses to listen to radio mostly with a bit of recorded music, is on the way out and I am looking to get her a replacement MP3 plus radio for the birthday.Her iPhone is old and it would make better sense in some ways to buy a new phone but because we don't have call and data packages, she prefers to depend on the radio over aerial as opposed to over internet as the Wi Fi can be hit and miss when out and about.Is the iPod Nano the better bet value for money wise?Your suggestions and advice would be very welcome.Thank you

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The iPod Nano is a good size audio player with support for radio (and even video if you don't mind the tiny screen :) ). I've got the 6th gen iPod Nana and it works great. The only thing you have to remember for the radio is that it needs a wired headphones, the cable is used as an antenna. So if you listen with a set of Bluetooth wireless headsets, you will not have radio functionality. I use it primarily over Bluetooth to my headphones and the car.

The iPod Nano has a single 16GB choice and if you just use it for audio files, you can fill about 7-9 days worth of music on it without any problems..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Agree with Ashwin. We just bought a 16 GB Nano (latest version) from Best Buy here in the US. They were on sale for $139.00 (16 GB), $10 discount from the regular price. And as Ashwin says, you will need to attach headphones in order to hear the radio.

OP
I
Reaction score
Thank you both Ashwin and chscag for taking the time to reply.Unfortunately or maybe fortunately my wife's iPhone4 has today finally packed in(surprise surprise) and she now needs a phone and iPod has been abandoned.So now it's off to trawl through the Apple site with the usual agonising over which one to buy.Always an interesting experience with her not actually wanting a phone but needing one and me arguing that you get what you pay for and to buy the latest model!!!Thank you again.I know this is off topic slightly but would there be much hassle changing registration details etc on my iPhone 6S to her name as she is suggesting that I take the 7 if we get one and she takes my 6S?

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I know this is off topic slightly but would there be much hassle changing registration details etc on my iPhone 6S to her name as she is suggesting that I take the 7 if we get one and she takes my 6S?

It might be better opening a new thread, but the short answer is that it's very easy to pass an iPhone from husband to wife or, of course, from wife to husband.

You sign out of find my phone and all other features like iCloud etc.

In effect, you wipe your phone as if you were going to sell it.

Then you open it in iTunes as new and restore from her backup.

I can post a step by step info on this if you want. Over the years, my wife has had several hand-me-downs from me - iPhones and iPads. Needless to say she has also had lots of brand new devices.

Ian

Sent from my iPad using Mac Forums

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It might be better opening a new thread, but the short answer is that it's very easy to pass an iPhone from husband to wife or, of course, from wife to husband.

It's very easy if you both are using the same Apple ID. ;D Yes, I know that sometimes our wives wish to be independent and have their own Apple ID, but it's so much more convenient to use just one for both of you.

OP
I
Reaction score
Thank you Ian and chscag. Unfortunately I didn't know we could have the same Apple ID. I would very much appreciate it if you could do a step by step Ian. Thank you

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.