Transfer Music to Older Nano

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10.12.4. plus an older mac
Hello Mac Community,

I found my old ipod Nano, working fine with some of my favorite songs. I decided to add as much music as I could to it. In this process I lost the songs which were there, and replaced by just a few songs not of my choosing..

This is am older Ipod Nano Model: MA978LL Version: 1.1.3

and am using my old mac (the same one I used with the old nano) OS 10.7.5 with iTunes 12.1.1.25.

I am hoping I still have access to my music with this nano and would be grateful for any suggestions.

I also have the smaller clip on nano which I will leave as is and not try to add or subtract any music.

Many thanks!

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I take it you did this by a USB connection to iTunes. So assuming the music that was on the Nano is still in your music library then just ticking it (the tracks) in the sync preferences list should restore it to the device. If they have been unticked or are no longer present in your music library they will be removed.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I think what may have happened here is that the OP chanced upon an old Nano which, to his/her surprise, not only worked but had favourite songs from the past - by implication not currently in iTunes & thought to be lost.

In the process of adding new songs to the Nano, he/she synced the device with iTunes and this wiped the old music off the Nano - and now not retrievable.

Theoretically, if the OP could recall the lost music, it might be possible to re-download it; but it is so long ago that these might have been in the days of DRM protection?

Ian

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Rod, Thanks for your kind response.

I did tick every song I wished to put onto the nano. I also tried the other options of just letting it fill up by itself or doing it manually.

I forgot to mention in my post that when I connect my nano via usb to iTunes, the syncing process is almost instantaneous.

Most of my music is on "The Cloud" and the nano was pre-cloud. Might that be an impediment?

I tried attaching a few screen grabs to my post but was unsuccessful.

Peace and thanks again,

John

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi John
I forgot to mention in my post that when I connect my nano via usb to iTunes, the syncing process is almost instantaneous.

You can change this if you don't like it - and I don't - Go into iTunes > Preferences > Devices and check the box " Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically". This affects all iDevices.

If you want to be selective about your iDevices, for example, allow automatic syncing with iPad and iPhone, but not iPod; then don't check the above box. Instead, attach each iDevice - it will sync automatically the first time - then Uncheck the box "Automatically sync when this iDevice is connected" - Then sync it for this to apply.

So you can globally or selectively stop auto sync on connection.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just to follow on to Ian's excellent response.... I have all my iDevices including our two iPhones and iPad set up not to sync when attached to our iMac and iTunes. If you don't do what Ian stated above, the syncing will occur very quickly and that can result in the loss of music, videos, or whatever else is on the device.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Success!

Thank you-all so much!

Much gratitude and to all who started, maintain, and participate in this wonderful forum.

My old Nano is now fully loaded, ready to roll!

¡Gracias!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's good to hear. Old Nano iPods are still very useful. We have an old one that's been in use now for 5 years without changing the battery.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.