Which is better Macdrive or Transmac?

Reaction score
Hey guys, I want to purchase a good software to both create Mac bootable dvd/usb on windows machine and also read and write to mac formatted hard drives on windows machine. My research is showing only 2 softwares for this Macdrive and Transmac but Macdrive reviews are not that great even though more expensive than transmac. Can you guys tell me which of the two YOU would purchase please or if there is anything better than those two? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Neither you can't do it. You need a Mac nd using Mac software on a PC is not only frowned up but illegal.

OP
M
Reaction score
illegal? Then why it is legal to use bootcamp and parallels to work windows on mac?

M

MacInWin

The license for Apple macOS and OS X clearly states that it is intended for use on Apple hardware only. Windows makes no such restriction. So, it is legal to use a fully licensed copy of Windows on either Mac hardware directly, or through Boot Camp or in a virtual system (Parallels or VMWare, or any of the others). The difference in the two companies is that Apple makes hardware, develops software to support it but gives the software away free to use ON that hardware. MS writes software for any system it can run on, licenses the software for a fee to use it.

Apple doesn't license macOS or any of the OS X variants for use on anything but their hardware.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What Mike is intending to do does not go against the Apple EULA in my opinion. Note that he stated he wished to create an OS X bootable disk on a Windows computer NOT run OS X on a Windows computer. TransMac and MacDrive both have been around for a long time and I'm sure Apple would have blacklisted both long ago if they were illegal.

Of the two, TransMac seems to work best as we have had members who used it successfully in the past. And yes, MacDrive is expensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Last edited:
OP
M
Reaction score
What Mike is intending to do does not go against the Apple EULA in my opinion. Note that he stated he wished to create an OS X bootable disk on a Windows computer NOT run OS X on a Windows computer.

Yes, that's exactly correct. I also wish to use one of those softwares to work with mac formatted external HDD's on a windows pc. I am jsut more comfortable working with windows guys even though Apple obviously makes superior products.

M

MacInWin

What Mike is intending to do does not go against the Apple EULA in my opinion. Note that he stated he wished to create an OS X bootable disk on a Windows computer NOT run OS X on a Windows computer. TransMac and MacDrive both have been around for a long time and I'm sure Apple would have blacklisted both long ago if they were illegal.

Of the two, TransMac seems to work best as we have had members who used it successfully in the past. And yes, MacDrive is expensive.
Ah, but he asked a follow-on question about why you can run Windows on Macs but not OS X/macOS on non-Apple hardware. That is what I responded to.

M

MacInWin

I think Paragon makes a product that allows Windows to read/write to Mac formatted drives, if that is all you are looking to do. I use Paragon NTFS to let my Mac read/write NTFS (Windows) formatted drives and it's pretty good at it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I think Paragon makes a product that allows Windows to read/write to Mac formatted drives, if that is all you are looking to do. I use Paragon NTFS to let my Mac read/write NTFS (Windows) formatted drives and it's pretty good at it.
Yup, I linked to it in my reply (post #6).

Reaction score
Anyone else have any opinions on Transmac vs MacDrive vs Paragon? I've been using MacDrive for the last couple years since buying a PC for video editing and have had a lot of problems with it corrupting mac formatted hard drives.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I no longer recommend either Transmac or MacDrive. Paragon software has utilities that work both ways and generally their software works well. I believe they still price their software at $19.95. Take a look theire first before deciding.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.