Texting from "2nd" Computer -

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 MBPro 16" wi/Retina Display, iPhone 15 Pro Max, MBPro 13" (2021).
Hi-

My main computer, a MBPro 2012 is left at home and I carry a MacBook Air (2015) running all the latest software and IOS.

For some reason my texts from the MB Air come from my iCloud account (which is listed), but I can't figure out how to add my cell phone to text from and to receive texts from others. How do I add my cell # to send and receive texts on the MB Air? This is important as I am frequently on the MB Air and don't want to go back and forth from my phone while working.

Can someone please help me out with some instructions?

Thanks very much - Happy Holidays to all!!!

Best,
Rich

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Look in the account in Messenger > Preferences. You should have your phone number listed, if not add it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
Does your phone number show up in iMessage/Preferences/Accounts on your MBA?

If so, you should be able to get it working by simply checking the phone number in:

"You can be reached for messages at:"

On your phone, you may need to switch on your MBA in Settings/Messages/Text Message Forwarding

Let me know how you get on. I have 2 iPhones attached to my MBP, so I can experiment. I forgot how I originally connected them, but all of my devices work together without a problem.

OP
ImDrRichard
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The phone number is NOT there and I don't know how to add it - thanks for your continued help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
Give me a few minutes. I'm just charging my 4s. Once it has some life in it, I'll knock it off my system and try to figure out the steps to put it back.

OP
ImDrRichard
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you Kevin! Worked perfectly!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.