Trouble installing BootCamp

Reaction score
So I want to install boot camp to my Mac but when I try to continue it tells me,"There is no USB drive connected to the system. Please insert a USB drive to continue."

What do I need to get to install boot camp and where can I get it? I'm sorry if this is a dumb question or if it's in the wrong category.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Without giving us any information about your Mac and which version of OS X it's running, you're not going to receive much help. And, which version of Windows are you trying to install? Also, the Boot Camp Assistant application is included with your copy of Mac OS X. It's located in Applications, Utilities. Post back with info and we can go from there.

OP
T
Reaction score
Welcome to our forums.

Without giving us any information about your Mac and which version of OS X it's running, you're not going to receive much help. And, which version of Windows are you trying to install? Also, the Boot Camp Assistant application is included with your copy of Mac OS X. It's located in Applications, Utilities. Post back with info and we can go from there.

I have a MacBook Pro, and am on OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.6. I went to Boot Camp Assistant Application through Utilities, yet it still gave me the message, "There is no USB drive connected to the system. Please insert a USB drive to continue" when I try to advance. I don't know what this USB drive is.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
On the recent Mac Book pro models (those without DVD drives) I think it's looking for a flash drive that contains the ISO for whatever version of Windows you are planning to install.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Topaz:

Our Moderator "Slydude" has given you the correct answer. You need to download the Windows ISO (compressed file) from Microsoft, place it on a USB flash drive, insert the drive, and continue to follow the Boot Camp Assistant instructions. We highly recommend that you print out the Boot Camp instructions first and read them over carefully before proceeding. Again, as Slydude has indicated, if your MacBook Pro does not have a DVD drive, the only way you can install Windows is by a bootable ISO which can only be downloaded from Microsoft.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.