Backup disk not available??

Reaction score
Hi, I have been using a 1GB Seagate external Hard Disk for backup from my MacBook. However, I am unable to do a backup now. It says, "Time Machine could not complete backup. The backup Disk is not available." Since the light on the harddisk is lighted, I assume it isn't a wire issue.
Would appreciate it if members could help me.
Many thanks,
Aaron

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Does Finder "see" the drive (i.e. does it appear on the desktop)? Does the drive appear at all in Disk Utility? If so try to verify the disk and repair any errors that are found.

OP
L
Reaction score
Hi Slydude,
Drive does not show up in both finder and disk utility (startup disk). Thanks!
Aaron

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Drive does not show up in both finder and disk utility (startup disk).

Time to do more troubleshooting.
Change USB cable and try.
Also, try the drive on another computer.

Reaction score
Seagate external's are mostly there barracuda drives and those drives fail like there is no end there is a firmware update for windows users to fix the hard drive but no solution for mac users sorry

C

chas_m

I will bet you a buck that if you simply power down hard drive, unplug it, plug it back in and power it back up, it will "magically" reappear on the desktop. The unit might just be dead, but I doubt it.

OP
L
Reaction score
Yes, I plugged and unplugged numerous times. Still fails to work. Thanks much!

OP
L
Reaction score
Hi,
Earlier I reported that the external hard drive is not visible on the Disk Utility. I was wrong because I had been looking at the Disk Startup.
The external hard drive is actually visible on the Disk Utility which I just stumbled upon. Is it okay to click Repair Disk? (Or click Erase?) Or something I could do to revive it? Thanks again!
Aaron

OP
L
Reaction score
Hi,
Thank you so much for your posting. I finally managed to get it working. I opened the Time Machine Option and select the external drive and click the backup and it worked. Much appreciated:)
Aaron

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.