British English please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
I have followed all instructions and suggestions provided to change the language of my operating system to British English. It is especially annoying when typing an email, but nothing seems to work. I have made the changes, restarted, bowed down, begged and pleaded and still nothing.

I find it hard to believe that in this ever shrinking and ever more digitally/globally connected world that Apple won't allow these changes to take effect. It has to be something I am missing, so please can someone help as it is driving me absolutely crazy. Thank you.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
So I just ran a quick test and this is what I did.

System Preferences-> Language & Text. I click on Edit List and checked British English which made it the first entry in the language list. I then click on the Text tab above and for Spelling: changed it from Automatic by Language to British English.

I then started TextEdit and typed the sentence "I prefer to refer to color as colour" and the moment I typed "color", it automatically changed to "colour" for me.

To get a system wide effect of the language change, I'd have to log out and log back in.

Did doing something like this not work for you?

OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
I had actually become so frustrated that I literally deselected every other language other than British English from the language list. But... I had not changed the setting in the Text tab. Having done so, it now appears to be working.

I will keep my fingers crossed, for a while yesterday it did work (must have done it then and forgot this morning) but reverted today.

Now if only Google Chrome would offer a British English gadget (the Cambridge is apparently spreading malware) I will be set. As an aside, I apologise for starting a sentence with "but" but apparently that little rule has also gone the way of the dinosaurs.
Cheers and thank you.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Well glad that's sorted out, but I am curious. What would the "British English gadget" for Chrome do exactly?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Lets type color or colour and see what happens.

I have looked in Google's language preferences, while you can add British English, you cannot delete US English from the list

OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
I should have said British English Dictionary gadget. As mentioned, I currently have the Cambridge Dictionary on there as a gadget, but they have had the malware problem, and which I gather is very recent as I used it I believe as recently as yesterday morning.

The gadget is Cambridge Dictionaries Online - dictionary.cambridge.org

It might seem strange to most people, but my favourite book to read, is actually a dictionary, and when I come across a word for which I do not know the definition, I can look it up quickly on my gadget. Or if I am not sure about a spelling that I am using that's a quick way to go as well.

OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
Lets type color or colour and see what happens.

I have looked in Google's language preferences, while you can add British English, you cannot delete US English from the list

I just checked to make sure that this was indeed the selection in my Chrome settings and it appears correct. I shall now monitor the situation over time and see if the language demons have decided that since I reside in the US I am compelled to use their form of English. ;P

Thank you

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
LOL, a Miami Florida resident who wants to use British English. :) Is our English here in the US that bad? ;P

OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
Not unless you believe the song from My Fair Lady which goes - "There even are places, where English completely disappears. In America, they have not used it for years!" :))

Actually I am a UK citizen. I worked for a local hospital system here in Miami, and always remember having one of the directors tell me very gently and with the upmost care for fear of making me feel like an idiot, that I had spelt foetus incorrectly. My response was non-violent (nonviolent in the US). LOL

Therefore I think of myself as being bi-lingual re US & UK English. In a business communique I will write
the sentence "I have mailed a check to you," but in my personal life I prefer to use "I have mailed a cheque to you." Semantics to be sure, but for me it is just being close to my roots. In addition, I would hate to see my father turn over in his grave.
Cheers!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.