Finder scrolling drives me nuts

Reaction score
When I choose a view mode in Finder, how do I scroll down the window without the window automatically scrolling up to the top of the page? Even if I choose sort by none, it seems to do this.
MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Not exactly sure what you're asking.

If you're referring to the direction you gesture and the direction Finder scrolls, you can change that in System Preferences under "Trackpad".

OP
C
Reaction score
it's not the direction of the scrolling, it's that the Finder window scrolls automatically, as I try to scroll down to see the entire lit...Finder keeps moving the screen, so it's a pain to see the whole list

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Couple screen shots would be good - don't believe we know what you are describing as windows do not normally scroll within the desktop.

Only way I can think of what you are describing would be if you have the Finder window larger than the screen... e.g. the window extends beyond the screen real estate. In which case, the window needs to be resized to fit within the desktop.

This could possibly occur if you've been playing with the resolution at some time and made the Finder window a certain size while at a lower resolution, then changed the resolution of the display back up to where it should be or vice versa.

OP
C
Reaction score
Say I want to look at items via Finder sorted alphabetically. When I scroll down to see all the items, before I can get to the bottom of the list, Finder moves the screen back to the top of the list. I can't see the end of the list because Finder keeps taking back to the top of the list.

I'm sorry that I don't know how else to describe the issue.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I get what you are talking about now. I have seen this from time to time as well on my MacBook Pro. I know it happens under 10.8.3 but I don't remember whether it happened in earlier versions.

In my case it happens in icon view. I rarely use list view. Things seem to scroll quickly to the bottom of the window then right back to the top.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I can not duplicate that here on my iMac with 10.8.3. It only scrolls as it should. Maybe it's some feature with the trackpad. Check the trackpad settings. Might be some new option as here I am using a mouse. I do have an Apple Trackpad and will try that.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I had not thought of the trackpad. I have both the Magic Trackpad and the built in one on my MB Pro. Just noticed that they are both active. That setting must have gotten changed when I reloaded tho OS recently.

Can't be stray input to the MP Pro trackpad. That is far enough away I can't touch it accidentally. Going to try turning it off and see if that helps.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I tried my Apple Trackpad and checked every setting under Trackpad. Can't get the Finder window to do anything but Scroll where I want it to Scroll. Tried Icon view. I wonder if it's something exclusively with that trackpad in the MBP?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.