Booting From an Old PC Drive

Reaction score
Hello,

I am migrating my parents to my old MacPro running 10.5. They were previously using a Dell Inspiron. I thought that installing the drive in the MacPro would create a startup disk for them that would then be bootable from System Preferences, but while the drive is recognized, it is not an eligible startup drive.

I've never used Windows on a Mac before, and I am looking for the easiest way to get the drive to be bootable. Thoughts?

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac forums.

Obviously, a Dell hard drive that's very likely formatted to NTFS is not going to work in your Mac Pro. It needs to be reformatted to the Mac file system, OS X installed on it, and then it should work to boot the Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I think the OP is try to run Windows alongside OSX, happy to be corrected if this isn't the case.

Unfortunately you can't just drop the disk in and expect it to work, for a few reasons (some or all may apply in this case):
- You haven't been through the bootcamp assistant. OSX has no idea there's a Windows installation present.
- The install of Windows you have there has no drivers for your Mac Pro installed
- the instance of Windows you have is not a full retail version if it came bundled with the Dell PC
- The version of Windows may or may not be compatible with your Mac Pro - Boot Camp: System requirements for Microsoft Windows operating systems

The best thing to do, if you need to dual boot to Windows, is to use the Bootcamp Assistant, use a full retail copy of Windows (appropriate to your Mac), install the drivers then migrate the data/.settings from the dell install across to the new one

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
When I read this I got the impression that the OP wanted to run Windows only on the Mac hardware. In either case the comments you're right about the issues involved.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Also it needs an EFI boot loader. No Intel Mac will boot without that. If you want Windows on that machine use Bootcamp.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thank you all. I am interested in being able to run both OS's, so your advice has been very helpful. Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.