• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple 'iPad mini' to be Wi-Fi only, report says

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini PowerPC G4 Mac OS X 10.5.8 120 GIG HDD Ethernet
I don't know whether this is a good thing or not. Cost cutting sounds just about right. Are they doing this for them or doing it for the consumers who are going to buy it???

Reaction score
I remember Jobs talking-down to small tablets. Granted, now they're everywhere.

If it's cheaper than the WiFi-only 10" iPad, I'd go for it.

More over, does anyone else feel that Apple is losing the "Jobs magic touch"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No mac :(
I don't quite see the point, if it's smaller, people would tend to carry it around with them a lot, sort of like the Galaxy Note - something to carry around in a handbag maybe. Cost cutting is one thing, but won't it make more sense to have a 3G/LTE option on such a device? :Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I don't quite see the point, if it's smaller, people would tend to carry it around with them a lot, sort of like the Galaxy Note - something to carry around in a handbag maybe. Cost cutting is one thing, but won't it make more sense to have a 3G/LTE option on such a device? :Confused:

I agree. My first thought when I heard about a "Mini-iPad" was that it would make a nice GPS with a large display for my Mom. Without cellular, I'm not sure it would work as a GPS as smoothly as she might want. She's not the type to attach and configure a bunch of extraneous connections to enable data.

Reaction score
Just rumors at this point, so difficult to guess the outcome.

The company seems to be "pairing" its products. As if we want to carry two (or more) Apple products.

Do they think a user wants an Iphone 5 (cellular) and and Ipad Mini without cellular?

That same user has another choice. He might decide to go with a small, regular phone in his pocket (without monthly data charges) and a small cellular tablet with data charges (non-apple if this rumour is true-which is unlikely) for facebook, twitter and email.

The more I think about it, the more this latter approach actually makes sense. A phone should be a phone and these mini tablets are for data. If the Apple mini doesn't have cellular, it's a step in the wrong direction.

(again, rumor only....it will have cellular)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I don't understand how it would be a step in the wrong direction. If the mini is going up again a kindle. The no cellular would be correction, since the kindle is not tied to a cellular company. That would be one way of getting the cost of the unit down.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Been waiting for this for awhile, but I think I might just end up getting a Nexus 7. Maybe after a few updates?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I'd rather (although I have an iPad.. so I'm really not at all in the market) skip the cellular and have longer battery life. That's just me though. Smaller form factor, something has to give.. and the 10+ hour battery life on my iPad rocks on international flights ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
For most of us, if we have an ipad, we probably also have an iphone. With that said, why do you need data on the iPad when the iPhone has it, and has the capability to send a data connection to your iPad?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
For most of us, if we have an ipad, we probably also have an iphone. With that said, why do you need data on the iPad when the iPhone has it, and has the capability to send a data connection to your iPad?

Cause you have to pay extra every month for that feature. >_>"

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep, no tethering for me - not when you're grandfathered in the unlimited data plan with AT&T.

They only give you free tethering if you downgrade to a limited data plan.

Catch 22?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
We are the tiny minority who have a grandfathered unlimited data from AT&T, but I can still use my iPhone's data without jailbreaking. Either way, why not have the data on a single device, that allows you to broadcast the data signal to many devices, instead of paying for data on each separate device?

Cause you have to pay extra every month for that feature. >_>"

So, you think having a data plan on an ipad is free????? >_>

Reaction score
Either way, why not have the data on a single device, that allows you to broadcast the data signal to many devices, instead of paying for data on each separate device?

Even my $200 Blackberry Playbook has that :)

(instant hook-up from Blackberry to Playbook via 'bridge').

Yes, love gadgets. No, don't like the duplicity of the Apple products. Multiple data plans are insulting. Almost like a bone Apple tosses to its hardware partners.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.