• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple rumored to launch with 6M of sub-$300 'iPad mini' this year

Reaction score
Apple rumored to launch with 6M of sub-$300 'iPad mini' this year

A new report out of China claims Apple is gearing up to build 6 million units of a new, smaller iPad to launch in the third quarter of 2012.
mf.gif

a2t.img

Read more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5' iMac i3 3.2GHz, 13.3' MacBook Pro 2.26GHz, iPhone 4(16GB), 160GB iPod Classic
I'll be honest I am not sure if that is a great move, because the iPad already is 9.7 inch screen Steve Jobs said the screen size was perfect for "expressing" software and anything smaller wouldn't be creative enough. Now I don't really know but I am sure it would sell, but why not just bump down the iPad 2's price to $299?

Reaction score
There will be a $99 iPad within two years.

Odd that 'content' was free a few years ago.

Now, the hardware will be free, but content will cost.

C

chas_m

All I'm going to say about this is that anyone who is seriously buying into this may be ripe for a big disappointment.

I could be wrong, of course, but I really don't think this is going to happen. It's got all the hallmarks of a stock-manipulation story, and comes from dubious sources and analysts (okay, I'm repeating myself there). :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
The iPad is a pretty big success. I believe Apple would be wrong for not introducing a cheaper model that can still be considered new, as apposed to buying an iPad2 with the 3rd gen is out. Plus, not everyone wants a 10" tablet. I've played around and owned an iPad and other tablets in the 7" size...I definitely liked the 7" for convenience. You think its just a few inches smaller, but it's a HUGE difference when it comes to carrying it around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
The iPad, or it's spawn, will eventually get smaller - everything seems to eventually. The only question is "when", what it will cost, and what it will be capable of doing relative to popular software and tasks at the time of it's release. As the world economy falls apart and inflation sets in, companies are going to have to create more margin on their sales to people who have less purchasing power per dollar. A 7" iPad could be for Apple what the netbook was to Windows PC companies - a temporary shot in the arm until market trends become more clear.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.