• Other

Votes: 2 0.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro, iMac, OS 10.13.6, iPhone 6s iOS 15.1, iPad mini, iOS 9.3.5
I'm interested to know what you mean by this. I know both Safari and iCab use WebKit so I'd be interested to know how one is better at "grunt" work and one is better for "precision."
Precision. iCab was made for filtering and controlling the appearance of the webpages, with its filter manager, a quite unique feature. It also controls HTML quality very nicely and has limited friendship with bad HTML. I used it as my primary browser (in URL Manager pro) before mac OS X and before it became apparent (this is no longer true) that CSS were not interpreted OK in iCab. Also used it to print webpages to pdf and control size to prepare printable pages. This is no longer true and I use Firefox for this purpose instead.

Grunt work. I now use Safari as my primary browser. Since you mention it, I just switched to iCab to see whether or not iCab can also be relied on as primary browser. Safari is, overall OK in all circumstances. Let me verify if iCab is now also like this.

Reaction score
I like Safari as i cannot be bothered to play around with a system that has had 10000000$$ spent on it. Maybe for some a split second will make their day...... But Safari does what i need and it looks simple. IE is a pain in the bum and Chrome looks like a kids sweet shop !

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I like Safari as i cannot be bothered to play around with a system that has had 10000000$$ spent on it.
You're not really "playing around" with the machine by installing applications. The OS was designed to allow you to do such.

Reaction score
I like all browsers, now a days they load about the same. The only reason I use Webkit (Safari) is because I can watch Youtube videos with Quicktime and most on line movies.. I can watch them in any size screen I want and using QT keeps my cpu usage down.. If I try watching with FF or Chrome, my cpu % is out of site

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah I agree, most all browsers these days are quite nice. With my new site as I was creating it I found Chrome and Firefox 4 to be really really nice just because of the "Inspect Element" feature plus of course Firebug. I haven't found Safari's developer tools to be all that great so far.

Reaction score
Safari has Inspect Element, looks the same but I know nothing about it.. I do like one thing the other browsers don't have.. I go to any site showing flash videos (Megavideo Loombo etc etc ), open up activity window and download the video by double clicking on the video, then watch the video as it's downloading with VLC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro retina 13" 8gb, 120ssd, i5 cpu, imac 8gb, 2.7ghz i5,1tb, iphone 5s 16gb. ipad 2 32gb
google crome is better that safari, crome is quicker at opening and its quicker and loading web pages up, im so glad they made it for mac

Reaction score
I consistently switch between Chrome and Safari. I had a brief stint with Firefox 4, and while it's definitely much better it still isn't up to par.

I like Safari because the home page (I have it set to my most visited) displays more websites than Chrome and in a much nicer manner; my biggest annoyance with Chrome is that it only shows me a few and every once in a while it insists on showing me the 'webapps' I have installed.

Chrome, however, generally loads at least a little bit faster than Safari. That is, of course, important in the 'he likes instant gratification' sense. If Apple improves the UI for Safari just a little bit (tabs on top, come on guys) and increases the speed, I'll make the switch to Safari full time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.93 GHz C2D iMac, 8 GB RAM, 640 GB HDD
I used Safari from 2008 until about two months ago. I then fell in love with Opera's speed but lately i've been getting too many errors, so i switched back to Safari until Opera cleans up their beta a bit. I love both, as well as RockMelt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Specs: 15.4" 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Chrome Dome

I'm A huge google fan. They integrated search into the url address it makes searches and surfing the web faster. especially as a student and it is faster than IE and Firefox. I love it;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
I am still rocking IE for mac. Circa 2003. Best browser ever.

Not really. Chrome all the way for me. Love firefox too though but I like the single search/url bar. Also I like how tight chrome keeps the tabs and URL bar, firefox puts and extra line just for the close button and a header incase you forget what program you are using.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you want to use Firefox and have search from the address bar, you might enjoy this.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Back to Chrome for a bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 in. iMac i7 processor, 8 GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Mt. Lion 10.8.2
Enjoying all this. Tomorrow the iMac shown in the info under my avatar will arrive and after letting the Tucson store do some transferring for me, I'll end what has been 33 years with PCs only.

I put Safari on this PC just because I couldn't activate my one to one membership with IE, but Safari allowed it. Otherwise, Safari was slow and froze many times. But, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and be using it on the new iMac, at least until I have reason to try another (and you know I will). ;D

Sounds like browsers are like much in life...personal choice based on your experiences, in the aggregate.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In my experience, the Mac version of Safari is far superior to the Windows version. The Windows version is ugly and slow while the Mac version is nimble. On top of this, the Mac version has much better PDF support (the built in support is far better than Adobe Reader).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 in. iMac i7 processor, 8 GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Mt. Lion 10.8.2
In my experience, the Mac version of Safari is far superior to the Windows version. The Windows version is ugly and slow while the Mac version is nimble. On top of this, the Mac version has much better PDF support (the built in support is far better than Adobe Reader).
Thanks for that. Exactly what I'm hoping for.

Nice board you have here. Looks like it'll be useful both now as a newbie to Mac and later as a more experienced user.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I've been currently trying out Chrome more often and one thing I don't like is the auto update without telling you feature. The reason I don't like it is because some of the updates causes problems previous versions did not.

If I was able to manually update I could at least stay with an older version until they at least fix the problem. You can't do that with Chrome. If you happen to have an older version of Chrome to reinstall it will just automatically update to the newer version.

On the other end a great feature of Chrome is the built in translator. The internet is worldwide so it's not uncommon to visit non-english websites.

As of right now Firefox and Chrome are getting the most usage time from me. Firefox 4 has been a nice improvement so I'm still undecided if I had to choose only one.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've been currently trying out Chrome more often and one thing I don't like is the auto update without telling you feature. The reason I don't like it is because some of the updates causes problems previous versions did not.
Interesting, I've never had issues here but you probably have a different set of extensions installed and/or different needs than me.

Nonetheless, instructions here to disable autoupdate.

Reaction score
I actually use 3 web browsers, not just the one I have voted for.

I use Safari as my main web browser for the simple fact of gaining experience of using it.

If a website doesnt work properly in Safari then I move on to FireFox.

And just in case I fancy a change I have Google Chrome installed.

:p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Still using Safari. Since extensions have just made it better, Firefox and Chrome just sit unused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.